10 replies to this topic

#1 froogle

froogle

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:13 PM

I've bought a mini mayfair automatic. I am fitting an R1 engine into it. I really want to do rear wheel drive with front engine. What's people thoughts on this? What would I need to do this?

I am wanting to do the work myself rather than buy an off the shelf kit

cheers

#2 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:55 PM

Well done for looking around before asking....

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,408 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:22 AM

A long chain? :D

The real question is why?

#4 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:37 AM

There are many excellent reasons to consider going front engine / RWD - not least of which being the potential for an equal weight distribution. My piont was that there's another thread here with quite a lot of details on it, plus many screen dumps from my CAD machine showing how I'm hoping to achieve it.

Why do people always expect to be handed all the information they need on a plate though? Surely if you're serious about doing something of this sort you would spend a bit of time doing proper research into it rather than sticking up a six sentance post. To get as far as I am I've spent a hell of a lot of time researching rear wheel drive bike engined kit car arrangements etc, looking at ratios and the like. Is it right to just pass that knowledge on when someone can't be bothered to even read the threads in the forum they post in?

#5 Yoshi

Yoshi

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 01:41 PM

There are many excellent reasons to consider going front engine / RWD - not least of which being the potential for an equal weight distribution. My piont was that there's another thread here with quite a lot of details on it, plus many screen dumps from my CAD machine showing how I'm hoping to achieve it.

Why do people always expect to be handed all the information they need on a plate though? [color=red]Surely if you're serious about doing something of this sort you would spend a bit of time doing proper research into it rather than sticking up a six sentance post.[/color=red] To get as far as I am I've spent a hell of a lot of time researching rear wheel drive bike engined kit car arrangements etc, looking at ratios and the like. Is it right to just pass that knowledge on when someone can't be bothered to even read the threads in the forum they post in?

Isn't asking a direct question for specific info research? Or is it kinda the unsaid rule that you have to spend hours of time digging for info that may not even be there, and asking questions is kinda a no no?

If you don't want to give him some advice, or even a link to your thread so he can read up on it, then don't, but I see no problem with him asking the question. He wanted people's advice, so even if your thread is helpful to him, you are still only one person and i'm sure he would appreciate others input, as i'm sure some people may know about them, but not have a thread going for him to find in a search..

Edited by Yoshi, 06 July 2009 - 01:45 PM.

#6 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:26 AM

Yada yada yada.

I want to go to the moon and take my dog. I have a halfords socket set and a box of fireworks.. has anyone done this and can they offer me any advice?

Thanks.

#7 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:23 AM

Hello,
Here is an article about a front bike engined rear wheel drive mini, there is also a pdf which contains the complete article.
http://www.mac1motor.../News/Mini.html

If your intent on doing it yourself I would have a look at the layout of the seven type car have a look at www.locostbuilders.co.uk for ideas. From what I have seen of this way of powering a mini they seem to struggle with traction

Cheers
David

#8 Rosslin Racing

Rosslin Racing

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Local Club: SMP beo BMC swiss

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:43 PM

Yada yada yada.

I want to go to the moon and take my dog. I have a halfords socket set and a box of fireworks.. has anyone done this and can they offer me any advice?

Thanks.

:lol:
that made me laugh

#9 Phaeton

Phaeton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:08 PM

Yada yada yada.

Thanks.

Yes, what do you want to know? I did it week last Thursday but didn't like it there, there was no atmosphere.

Alan...

#10 Yoshi

Yoshi

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:30 PM

Yada yada yada.

Thanks.

been done, do a search......

#11 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:20 PM

I'll think you find I conducted a thorough amount of RE-search by just asking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users