#1 cbyrne

cbyrne

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Local Club: irishminis.ie

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:21 PM

hi after fitting my lcb my car has gone haywire!! it wont idle spits flames 3-4"long the aux fan is constanly running its a 1996 1275 spi equinox i serviced the car with millers 20w 50 oil and a uni part oil filter please help as its my every day car and going to work spiting flames is not that good for police!!!

#2 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:30 PM

HAve you fitted the fuel lines back onto the inlet manifold the correct way round?

The reason I say this is I had a similar problem but that was due to the fuel pump being to big, the result was a high fuel pressure and 3 foot long flames from the exhaust.

Either than or its the MAP sensor capilary lines.

The radiator fan is a completely different issue.

#3 cbyrne

cbyrne

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:42 PM

yes i labeled every thing it seems to be over fueling could the lamba sensor be nackard??

#4 spiguy

spiguy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:45 PM

HAve you fitted the fuel lines back onto the inlet manifold the correct way round?

The reason I say this is I had a similar problem but that was due to the fuel pump being to big, the result was a high fuel pressure and 3 foot long flames from the exhaust.

Wow, not good. Don't drive the car like this - you will destroy your catalytic converter..

Hmmm.. fuel lines the wrong way round. Can't quite think what that would do, but its got to be down to hideous amounts of fuel getting into the engine, so maybe if you plumb the supply from the pump into the return from the injector, it squirts straight out or something ?. Worth a check. I think there is a picture in the Haynes manual showing the setup?

Either that or the injector is somehow staying on permanently and just spraying fuel all the time. That would be easy to see, just take the air filter housing off and watch the injector spray. You should be able to see it 'squirting on and off' as opposed to spraying all the time.

Just can't think of anything else that you could have done whilst doing the job that would result in such bad overfuelling. I mean, even if you had wrecked the lambda sensor, which could happen transferring it over, surely the ECU wouldn't provide SO much fuel due to a bad lamda sensor signal? You could try disconnecting the lamda sensor to see if that helps I suppose.

Good luck!

#5 spiguy

spiguy

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:52 PM

Wow, not good. Don't drive the car like this - you will destroy your catalytic converter..

Hmmm.. fuel lines the wrong way round. Can't quite think what that would do, but its got to be down to hideous amounts of fuel getting into the engine, so maybe if you plumb the supply from the pump into the return from the injector, it squirts straight out or something ?. Worth a check. I think there is a picture in the Haynes manual showing the setup?

Either that or the injector is somehow staying on permanently and just spraying fuel all the time. That would be easy to see, just take the air filter housing off and watch the injector spray. You should be able to see it 'squirting on and off' as opposed to spraying all the time.

Just can't think of anything else that you could have done whilst doing the job that would result in such bad overfuelling. I mean, even if you had wrecked the lambda sensor, which could happen transferring it over, surely the ECU wouldn't provide SO much fuel due to a bad lamda sensor signal? You could try disconnecting the lamda sensor to see if that helps I suppose.

Good luck!

Any chance you've ended up melting some wiring somewhere, eg wires have got routed too close to the LCB, got melted and shorted?

Just thinking that the way the injector 'fires' is by an interrupted earth - ie its fed with 12V and to switch it on and off the ECU connects / disconnects its earth. So if you ended up with the injector earth wire (which goes to the ECU) shorted out to earth (eg the exhaust) then the injector would be on all the time.

Also, I'm sure the AUX fan could suffer the same problem - normally it comes on when the thermostatic switch closes, but I'm sure it is also switched on its earth side (normal practice in car electrics). So again, a melted/earthed wire could cause it.

#6 cbyrne

cbyrne

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:10 PM

wireing looks ok!! what has me is it was idleing ok now its just got worse!!

#7 cbyrne

cbyrne

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:32 PM

got fan working wires wrong way around. as for fueling its injecting ok. the car cuts out at idle when driving. eg traffic lights it wont idle and cuts out. its driving me mad...

#8 spiguy

spiguy

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:40 AM

got fan working wires wrong way around. as for fueling its injecting ok. the car cuts out at idle when driving. eg traffic lights it wont idle and cuts out. its driving me mad...

Did you check the vacuum lines to the ECU map sensor? I agree with earlier comments that it could be that. If you have checked the spray pattern and it looks normal, then it has to be overfuelling caused by something else. I'm just suprised at the extent of the overfuelling.

take the vac pipe off the ECU and stick your finger on the end with the engine running. Should be sooking good style. If not, start looking for leaks (most likely broken at the back of the inlet manifold, maybe got damaged when you were taking the manifold on / off).

Cheers
Craig

#9 cbyrne

cbyrne

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:46 AM

found a small exhaust leak at the lamba sensor were the lcb joins the exhaust could this be throwing the lamba sensor off and over fueling???

#10 cbyrne

cbyrne

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:51 PM

im going to cry my mini is driving me mad it wont idle. down on power and that stupid aux fan never turns off has any one got a diagnostic tool i could borrow or give me any tip on what could be up with it as i cant drive like this any help please :)

#11 cbyrne

cbyrne

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:06 PM

problem sortded craig credit to ya lad, the small black vac line that goes from the inlet to map sensor was broke off inlet.. thanks to all the people to replied to my post be lost without ya thanks again :thumbsup:

#12 spiguy

spiguy

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:29 PM

problem sortded craig credit to ya lad, the small black vac line that goes from the inlet to map sensor was broke off inlet.. thanks to all the people to replied to my post be lost without ya thanks again :thumbsup:

Ah, excellent. Glad you found it! Yes, thats happened to me before too - though one time it was an 'intermittent' leak so it would still run (to a varying degree!) and mostly just ran really really rich. Took me ages to find it!

Must be the cause of about 60% or more of injection minis going wrong!!

Cheers
Craig

#13 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:33 PM

Why does no one listen to me anymore :crazy:

This is one reason I dont reply to many topics these days :dontgetit:

I hinted on the problem 2 days ago, and you have only just found it. These capilary lines are the FIRST thing anyone should check, but it would apear I have not stressed this enough :lol:

Most of the time I can fix it, but I have to be there. I cannot fix it from a distance, when the information given is not acurate :shifty: I dont have much spare time these days, and writing lengthy posts to try and help some one diagnose faults takes quite a bit of time and thought on my part. I just dont have the time any more.

Sorry, not having a go at you personaly, its in general :D

#14 cbyrne

cbyrne

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:48 AM

sorry sprocket i miss red ur post. as regards to these lines do you no where i can find the small black one as i borrowed the yellow one and what ya no back to square one!!! line was 2long and the lcb ate it. i have looked through mini spares but have had no luck:( i have been asked to attend a show on sunday but am not goin until i fix mini :shifty:

#15 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:50 AM

I tend to replace them all where possable with Samco silicon Vacuum tubing. You might find that a bit difficult for the airbox though.

Minispares does sell those pipes though.

http://www.minispare...mp;title=VACUUM PIPE TO ECU FROM F...

http://www.minispare...mp;title=VACUUM PIPE- INLET MANIFO...

http://www.minispare...=...20TO SPI ...

The yellow one, I have not seen available

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users