61 replies to this topic

#1 Saoirse

Saoirse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:33 PM

Hi, I thought I would put a slight warning to people looking to have welding in done in the area near me. First off, you should know that in the past month and a week I have tried ringing, leaving messages, emailing and messaging on this forum with absolutely NO response. Wilderim_pickup offerred to help me out, came over, had a look at the car, seemed to definately know what he was talking about, and gave me a quote.

A few weeks later he came over and did a days work on the welding. This was putting all new panels on the front.

I haven't heard from him since, I have tried contacting him so many times it is ridiculous. He clearly wasn't going to come back and finish the job.

I think he was in way over his head. He chewed up one end of the scuttle panel, but put the wing on after, so I don't even know if he was planning to fix that. The welding itself was not good, some have come undone. He has dented the panels and mis-shaped them trying to make them fit. I've had 2 guys from garages come and give me a quote now and both have been very perplexed by his work.

I am now having to pay more than I would have done if I had not got this guy to do the welding.

After having so many calls and emails ignores, I believe he knows he did something very wrong and started alarm bells in my head.

No pleasure taken from writing this, but I wouldn't like anyone else to have the problems I've had.

Cheers, Saoirse

#2 nathansminis

nathansminis

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:50 PM

hello fellow guildfordian!

where about are you?

sorry to hear about the troubles.

let me know if you need a hand with anything.

#3 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:58 PM

sorry to here that what did he quote? and any pics of what hes done, I might feel in a good mood to help you out

dave

#4 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:45 PM

Thats crap mate sorry to hear that, I just hope that someone more local can help you out. I had always heard good things about Widrim, there may be a genuine reason why he hasn't been in touch?

It looks like you've had some good offers from local peeps and I hope you get it sorted.

#5 gregh55

gregh55

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts
  • Local Club: naaa

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:53 PM

hi mate, we know how you feel we had a local guy do the work on our first mini and he had it over 9 months and it came back worse than it went. . . from a job that would of cost around £300 to do, will now cost use over £1500 to repair all the bodges this guy had done.

my old chap was very upset about it and he ended up scraping the shell with all the new panels on :( he wishes he didnt now!

sorry to here this has happend to you too.

greg

#6 widerim_pickup

widerim_pickup

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Local Club: nope

Posted 24 October 2009 - 09:27 PM

Hello,

Personal circumstances have delayed your work and sorry i have not replied. Your not the only person in the queue who has had delays in the process at this time. One other member on here has been waiting since mid august for me to view a car for a quote. The message you sent me the other day was read by myself and left to reply which i admit i have not done.

Maybe i should of kept you in the loop some more but as your number is nowhere to be found and i can't call a withheld number back. Time to get on a computer and PM you has not been availible, until the middle of this week or so but just about to get round to it when my attention was brought to this thread.

If you do want the work finishing for the same price, i'd be happy to finish it off, but only if you can get the car to my workshop, to maintain the peace.

As shifty has said i don't have any other bad press and would like that to remain the case.

Regards

Damien

#7 Saoirse

Saoirse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:03 PM

Hi all, appreciate all the replys.

I'm actually not quite a Guildfordian, more of a haslemere(-ian?). Just simpler to say Gford I guess!

I am awaiting to hear back from a local guy who works in a garage near me, hopefully he can do the welding. I was told the easiest thing to do would be to get new panels, but I was very against that after spending a month's pay on the current ones!

As for this case, it was unprofessional and really disheartening. There is no doubt in my mind!

Cheers, Saoirse

#8 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:10 PM

I know I'm not really involved, but....!!

Just in the interest of being fair, would it be possible to get some pics up of Widrims work?

One of the complaints was the quality of his work, If I were him I'd want my name cleared on that count!!

#9 Saoirse

Saoirse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:16 PM

I know I'm not really involved, but....!!

Just in the interest of being fair, would it be possible to get some pics up of Widrims work?

One of the complaints was the quality of his work, If I were him I'd want my name cleared on that count!!

That is fair enough, I will take a few tomorrow and upload them.

#10 Saoirse

Saoirse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:48 AM

Left side

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Right headlight

Posted Image

Here you can see the dent in my new wing

Posted Image

Here's a part where the welding has come undone

Posted Image

Here's how the scuttle was left but with the wing already welded on

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Ouster

Ouster

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,986 posts
  • Local Club: Looking

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:10 PM

Did he have his glasses on??

#12 liam_italian

liam_italian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:11 PM

Sweet baby jesus and the orphans, that's the worst welding I have ever seen, he clearly has no idea what so ever how to weld mini panels! I can only feel for you mate! If you lived near me Id gladly help you put it right!

Wilderim_pickup if I was you I'd hang my head in shame, you are a true cowboy if there ever was one!
Posted Image

Edited by liam_italian, 25 October 2009 - 12:22 PM.

#13 robtheplod

robtheplod

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:18 PM

That's shocking, .... I'm a complete newbie and can honestly say I can do a better job than that!

I thought you were supposed to weld INSIDE where the wing/front panel join???

You should be after the money he charged for his time on this as well as any panels he has damaged, as it will need to be done properly.....

Edited by robtheplod, 25 October 2009 - 12:26 PM.

#14 captainjack15

captainjack15

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 3,925 posts
  • Local Club: Somerset Rusteez

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:22 PM

Oh dear :( :(

#15 HARBER07

HARBER07

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,498 posts
  • Local Club: Naaa......

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:29 PM

To be fair, getting pattern panels to fit isn't that easy. Maybe he was just tacking them on to check for fit? But genuinely can't work out why he didn't fit the scuttle first, and why he welded along the join externally??? :(

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users