Photo
- - - - -

Help an australian with a spi mini fuel pump prob!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 naf

naf

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:20 AM

Hi,

I have a 1995 spi Mini cooper that was imported to Australia from japan, that now has a problem... My girlfriend was driving the car the other night when she heard a bang and then the car stopped. It seems to be fuel pump related but I'm not totally sure if thats the problem.

Here's what I have discovered:

-With the car on, you can normally hear a hiss from the fuel pump, its not doing that anymore.
-If I pour some fuel straight into the carb, the car will start briefly.
-I checked all of the fuses and none seem blown.
-I checked if there was voltage going to the fuel pump from the wire with one of those voltage testers that looks like a screwdriver with a light in it, it didn't light up :sad:
-I checked the wire on the fuel level sensor wire, it did light up (just to check the tester worked)
-The car has half a tank of fuel in it.

So now I have a few questions, the no voltage going to fuel pump worries me, is there something in between the fuses and the pump that could be screwed?

If it is just the pump do i need to take the whole tank out to replace it, and is the pump just an off the shelf item made by Bosch perhaps?

Sorry for all the questions but all my mini workshop books are in storage while I wait to move into a new house. So i'm even unsure at the moment which number fuse it is... :w00t: and what wire goes where.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated and if you are ever in Melbourne I will buy you a beer or 6!

Thanks
Tim

#2 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:27 AM

Dunno much about SPi minis, but with my past experience of other fuel injected cars I'd say check the fuel pump relay, that could've gone. I have had two cars that the relay has blown on so far.

Dunno where it is in an SPi though??? :erm:

#3 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 01:13 PM

Never worked on a Injected Mini, but have years exp with others.

Fuel pumps normally only work for a couple of seconds when you turn the ignion on and then when the engine is running.

If the bang was sever enough it could have tripped the impact switch.

Siggy

#4 minisprint

minisprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • Local Club: GR8 minis

Posted 09 October 2005 - 02:53 PM

just fixed a spi cooper which broke down while driving!first i would check the fuel cut off on the bulkhead! its a round button on a bracket on the right side of the bulkhead.press this in!if no luck check for a feed at the fuel cut out switch!on the one i fixed it had a fuse blown in between the cut off switch and the fuel relay!which is clipped to the top of the servo bracket! hop this helps if not i may be able to post some pics!

#5 naf

naf

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 09:44 PM

thanks for all the info, I'll try everything tonight when I get home from work and let yoyu know how I go.

#6 Steve@RetroDash

Steve@RetroDash

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 05:01 PM

definatly sounds like the fuel cut off switch on the bulkhead, just push it til it clicks.

i drove down a hole with mine and it cut off, the roadside breakdown assistance hadn't got a clue, so when he was fiddling under the bonnet i read through my haynes manual at the side of the road. just as he was going to tow it away i found the fuel cut off in the haynes. i pushed the button, and needless to say..... made him look very foolish. this was after half hour of him saying he used to have a job fixing mini's :w00t:

#7 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 10 October 2005 - 08:46 PM

This is an issue with all fuel injected cars, more so with the mini. Yay mechanic should realy have known better.

Fuel injected cars all have a fuel cut off switch to prevent high pressure fuel being constantly squirted out in the event of a crsah. The problem with the mini is that the ride is rather harsh and a good bump in the road some times causes enough shock to trip the thing.

Check the brown only wire feeding the relay box that sits ontop of the bellcrank box for the brake servo / master cylinder if there is no volts there then the fuseble link may have blown. This is located in the wiring harness that runs over the top of the distributer under the black pvc sheath( dont know what it looks like but thats where it is). If this has blown then the pump may well be duff as to draw that much current it would have to be a very big load item. The pump can be replaced but the tank would have to be removed.

Mini spares do this item but is VERY expensive. You may be able to get the pump itself somewhere else when and if you find out the manufacturer :w00t:

#8 naf

naf

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 10:09 PM

Yep it was fuel cut off switch, as soon as I pushed it and heard the click I knew It was the problem!

I feel kind of stupid that I didn't know it was there :w00t:*

Thanks so much everyone for the help, I would of felt even more stupid if I had towed it to the mini mechanic for him to fix :tongue:

thanks thanks thanks!

and remember if you are ever in Melbourne I'll buy you a beer!

Tim

#9 Steve@RetroDash

Steve@RetroDash

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 04:58 PM

Yep it was fuel cut off switch, as soon as I pushed it and heard the click I knew It was the problem!

I feel kind of stupid that I didn't know it was there ;)*

Thanks so much everyone for the help, I would of felt even more stupid if I had towed it to the mini mechanic for him to fix :tongue:

thanks thanks thanks!

and remember if you are ever in Melbourne I'll buy you a beer!

Tim

how about if you're ever in England? hint hint :w00t:

i felt stupid when i pressed mine, you're not alone on that one pal :tongue:

#10 MINI7

MINI7

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 05:37 PM

Must also add you DEFINETLY not alone on that one, spent 3 hours at the side of the M40 till i realised :w00t: :tongue: :gasp: ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users