24 replies to this topic

#1 johnnysti

johnnysti

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:00 AM

Please read the following that i have going in another thread with my problem at the bottom with dklawson's quote to start
QUOTE (dklawson @ Oct 10 2005, 02:12 AM)

Let's back up a step though, pull the plugs back out. Put the car in neutral with the parking brake on. Pull the fan belt to rotate the engine in the normal direction of rotation. Watch for the timing marks (presumably your Mini is late enough that they are on the crank pulley). When the zero degree mark is coming up on the pulley and near the pointer on the timing cover, shine a flashlight in the #1 spark plug hole (nearest the water pump). You should see the top of the piston coming up. Now take the dizzy cap off. Compare the rotor position to the wires on the dizzy cap. The rotor will be pointing at the lug where the #1 cylinder wire goes. Now that you know where #1 is... put the other wires on 1-3-4-2 going counterclockwise from #1.

EDIT: NEVER assume that a new sparkplug is gapped correctly for your engine. Sparkplugs are commercial items used in MANY engines and they can't all require the same specifications. The gap may be correct by coincidence but don't count on it happening.

Hi all

Ive done the test that dklawson said and after lining the timing mark on the crank pulley and fane belt to make it all line up and found the following.

The dizzy arm is sitting between 1-3 on the dizzy cap with the piston showing in cylinder 4 (in fire order is 2)

So what shall i do now??? Does that seem normal?? If so what is the order on the dizzy cap now??

Please help as ive got it all apart and dont know what im doing!!!!

#2 johnnysti

johnnysti

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:29 AM

Right ive just done the procedure again and the piston was up in cylinder one on the timing marks with the rotor arm pointing bottom left. So if i put the leads back on with the No.1 lead bottom left and the rest following anti clock wise 3-4-2 this should work??

Just need it confirmed before i start putting it all together and turn the car over!!

Thanks gang

Johnny

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:47 AM

After reading the history of your other thread...

Do you, or know someone with a strobe, as your going to need it... once you've moved the dizzy, unless there's a mark on the casing/block from where is was originally, you've got very little hope of getting it any where near the right point.

Basically get your leads in order 1 3 4 2 anti-clockwise round the cap with number one connected to the cap at the point where the rotor arm is pointing when your timing mark and top indicator ( piston number 1 at top dead center, and both valves closed ). Piston number one is the one nearest the radirator, and number two the next to the left, and so on to number four which is the one nearest the flywheel.

#4 johnnysti

johnnysti

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:00 AM

On the crank pulley thing there is a cut out square bit and after lining that up with the pointy bits on the block the piston was showing in number 1 with the rotor arm at bottom left. So ive just put it all together around that, went to turn it over and smoke came out the air filter behind the dash pot!! I just dont know whats going on!!

Johnny

#5 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:15 AM

Ah, it is likely that you are not on the compression stroke but exhaust stroke for number one.... take the rocker cover off and turn the engine over as DK described until both valves are closed while the piston is rising, ie the compression stroke...

#6 Tarks

Tarks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Local Club: is there a local club? lol

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:33 AM

hello mate just had excactly the same issue as you i had the dizzy gear 180 deg out static time your engine !
ie line up crank mark with the zero then pull your dizzy out and the gear behind it and turn it 180 then replace this should bring your dizzy/rotor arm in very close range of no 1 position ! ie top right of dizzy cap then replace your leads 1-3-4-2 anti-clockwise from that point!

#7 johnnysti

johnnysti

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:36 AM

Thanks for all the help Guess works

Ive just put it all back together as per before i fumbled around with it!! So the order on the dizzy is now 1-4-2-3. Is this a normal order!!????

#8 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:43 AM

no firing order is 1 3 4 2, anticlockwise.....

There is no other firing order for an A series engine.

#9 Tarks

Tarks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Local Club: is there a local club? lol

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:48 AM

oh and many thanks for the little chat we had to pick the fault with mine! but sorted in the end i set my timing at 10deg on idle and it adv no more than 34 deg
would you agree this is a good setting???

i have a strobe timinig light! by the way

#10 johnnysti

johnnysti

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:06 AM

no firing order is 1 3 4 2, anticlockwise.....

There is no other firing order for an A series engine.

How is mine working then????? ;) :cry: :) Im saying 1-4-2-3 anti clockwise from top right on the dizzy. Ive just called somerford minis who built the engine to see if they coulp point me in the right direction and im suprised they are still in business!!!! Complete w**kers!!!!!!

#11 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:27 AM

Basically it's probably only running on one cylinder... which a mini will do if forced to ! :cheese:

Take a photo of your leads to plugs and post on here..

#12 johnnysti

johnnysti

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:39 AM

Will do!!
Also got a krypton man coming out tomorrow to give it the once over!!

It doesnt sound like its firing on cylinder. It sounds the same as before i started p***ing around with it. But i am a man without an automotive brain cell!!!!!! :)

Johnny

#13 johnnysti

johnnysti

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:50 AM

Heres the pics

http://img.photobuck...st1/HTleads.jpg

http://img.photobuck...Firingorder.jpg

Hope this helps

Johnny

#14 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 12:03 PM

:)

I've figured it out... !!!

brb

#15 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 12:06 PM

Ignore the numbers which are on the leads.... ( or swap them over !! )

They are pointing to the right cylinders, and then it's just a matter of getting th timing right which your Mr Krypton should be able to do...

PS... Do tell if he has his underpants on the outside :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users