15 replies to this topic

#1 sambarnes

sambarnes

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:17 PM

Its a 1998 MPi and engine wise is completly standard apart from a DTM exhaust.

Theres a few things that i have noticed since i got it that dont seem right.

-When the car is idling it seems to be a bit spluttery. It keeps to the same revs but you can here it 'splutter' very quickly now and again.

-How much is the engine meant to move when revving? From idle if i put my foot on the accelerator the engine block wobbles/moves a good 2" forwards and backwards. is that good?

-This is hard to explain but here goes. When driving if i take my foot of the accelerator there is a sharp thud, and the same when i put my foot back on the accelerator. (It feels the same as if you were towing a trailer on a worn ball and you slow down and the trailer jolts the car slightly).
Also with this when driving at under 10mph at constant revs the car starts to jump forwards as if you were pushing your foot in and out on the clutch. I dont know if thats anything to do with the problem before.

Thanks, any help appreciated

Sam

#2 bcjames

bcjames

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:23 PM

As far as I know, the engine movement should be minimal, and it may need new bushes, at least on the top mount. I'm unsure about the other questions. I have a '97 MPi and it also seems a bit spluttery at times, as if (on a carb'd car) the choke is in the wrong position perhaps. Not sure if thats normal or not!

#3 L400RAS

L400RAS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,479 posts
  • Local Club: Lincolnshire Mini Owners Club

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:32 PM

Yes, as bcjames says, you should look at replacing your top engine steady bushes. Get them done asap, if not, this could easily fatigue your eninge mounts, which is a bigger job to do. The engine movement is what you are feeling as a thud when accelerating /braking.

Edited by L400RAS, 14 November 2009 - 02:32 PM.

#4 sambarnes

sambarnes

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:52 PM

Yes, as bcjames says, you should look at replacing your top engine steady bushes. Get them done asap, if not, this could easily fatigue your eninge mounts, which is a bigger job to do. The engine movement is what you are feeling as a thud when accelerating /braking.

I thought it might have been that.

I only saw the engine move that much about two days ago whilst at college and some freinds were looking at the engine. I had been feeling the thud ever since i got the car and was baffled.

Are they hard to replace?

sam

#5 L400RAS

L400RAS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 03:01 PM

I only saw the engine move that much about two days ago whilst at college and some freinds were looking at the engine. I had been feeling the thud ever since i got the car and was baffled.
Are they hard to replace?
sam

Hi sam,
Its not complicated to do, however due to it being a multipoint, there will be a lot more things in the way to get round. To undo the bulkhead bolt, I find it easier working from underneath the car with a long ratchet extension.

by the way - regarding your "rough idle", does your engine cooling fan run constantly / work ok? if not, please see attached pdf:

#6 sambarnes

sambarnes

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 03:18 PM

Right cheers. I will have to have a look when the weather brigthens up or when im at work next, dont fancy getting under the car in this weather!

My fan does run continuously but only has been for the last two days, This is because i have hardly any coolant.
I will replace the thermostat aswell as i was given one by the previous owner when i bought it and see how it goes from there.

Thanks again
Sam

#7 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 14 November 2009 - 03:45 PM

I reckon one of your engine mounts may have gone.

I had exactly the same symptoms on my mpi.

It was just a question of replacing a bolt. Not a big job, but fiddly.

#8 sambarnes

sambarnes

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:22 PM

I reckon one of your engine mounts may have gone.

I had exactly the same symptoms on my mpi.

It was just a question of replacing a bolt. Not a big job, but fiddly.

I will have to go down the farm tomorrow and jack it up and have a good look about it.

When you fixed yours Juju did it stop the horrible thudding (if you had that)

#9 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:41 PM

When you fixed yours Juju did it stop the horrible thudding (if you had that)

Yep. It was the thudding that worried me. It disappeared immediately. Good luck wiv it!

#10 sambarnes

sambarnes

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:21 PM

Found the source of the problem today,

It was the bushings on the engine steady (engine end)

Anyone know where i can get them from, i had a look on mini spares but i wasnt sure exaclty what i was looking for.

thanks
sam

#11 L400RAS

L400RAS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:35 PM

genuine rover 1 piece bush... - you will need 2 of these.

Uprated poly bush ...- cheaper, and you only need one, however some people don't like poly bushes, as they transmit more sound, and when they do fail, they fail rapidly, rather than rubber which fails gradually...

I used these from polyflex, they are one piece poly, which i think are better. by the way you need a vice to fit 1 piece bushes.

take your pick!
Ryan

Edited by L400RAS, 15 November 2009 - 04:39 PM.

#12 sambarnes

sambarnes

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:45 PM

Thanks, do the ones on ebay you said your have come as a pair?

At the moment i have one genuine on the bulkhead side and one of the "uprated poly bush's" on the engie side, which is the one thats gone.

Previous owner probably couldnt be bothered to take it out and use a vice and just put them on the end with it still in the engine!

Sam

#13 L400RAS

L400RAS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:51 PM

Thanks, do the ones on ebay you said your have come as a pair?

Yes

Previous owner probably couldnt be bothered to take it out and use a vice and just put them on the end with it still in the engine!

Yes probably. Also, the bulkhead bolt can sieze in the centre metal crush sleeve of the bush, ie the nut can be undone, however the bolt will not come out of the bush - i had to drill the head out on one of mine and replace the bolt wit ha s/s.
Ryan

Edited by L400RAS, 15 November 2009 - 04:51 PM.

#14 sambarnes

sambarnes

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:02 PM

Cheers,

Hopefully that wont happen but im sure i can find another bolt the same where i work so it shouldnt be a prolbem.

Sam

#15 jameslb101

jameslb101

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Local Club: Northavon Mini Drivers

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:10 PM

I've got exactly the same problems with my 1998 Mpi and I was told I needed a new top engine mount so it sounds like a common problem

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users