#1 Furio

Furio

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:55 PM

Hello all,

I'm about to have my windscreen replaced and whilst getting it done the bodyshop recommends that I replace the scuttle panel at the same time(but i like the rust :- ), I was looking on minispares at the panel required and was wondering if it would be worth saving some money and buying a non genuine replacement?

I realise that it won't be as perfect as a genuine panel, but will it be a lot of extra work for the bodyshop to make it fit?

Thanks!

#2 robtheplod

robtheplod

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:06 PM

Hello all,

I'm about to have my windscreen replaced and whilst getting it done the bodyshop recommends that I replace the scuttle panel at the same time(but i like the rust :- ), I was looking on minispares at the panel required and was wondering if it would be worth saving some money and buying a non genuine replacement?

I realise that it won't be as perfect as a genuine panel, but will it be a lot of extra work for the bodyshop to make it fit?

Thanks!

I've heard on lots of occasions that the scuttle is really the only part you should always buy genuine as non-heritage ones are just not formed 'right' ????

#3 mars red mike

mars red mike

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts
  • Local Club: Bodge Speed Racing

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:21 PM

I didn't think anyone made a full non-genuine scuttle. Ive only ever seen the non genuine repair sections for either end (and these are crap make no mistake!)

#4 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:42 PM

Plus don't forget to do a scuttle properly, it's wings off too...

#5 Furio

Furio

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:29 PM

Brilliant, thanks for your help!

#6 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:32 PM

I fitted a cheap scuttle before and never will again.

It seemed to be too long, too wide and badly shaped. It threw the wings out by a mile, I was close to cutting it all off and starting again!

#7 daniel190

daniel190

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Local Club: renegademinis

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:55 PM

dont buy a cheap one, i replaced my scuttle with a full cheap one and after re-spraying the car and all the hard work the window would not fit and need to be ground down neverly 10mm, i was really p**sed off and had to cut in to my new paint work, end of the day, spend more money and have time and it will look the part too, ;) , hope this helps

#8 Furio

Furio

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:18 PM

I ordered a genuine part in the end, So hopefully Shouldnt have any problems like your all telling me!

#9 leadly

leadly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Local Club: [] D.C.M.O.C []

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:00 PM

Good choice i say!!!

I'v gotta get both of the scuttle ends sorted on mine soon and i'll definitely be buying genuine parts!!

#10 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:59 PM

as with any screen aperture replacementyou need to take measurments before you cut the old panel out, ive found over the years their is a couple of ways of doing it.

method one, run a lenght of masking tape along the top of the aperture and measure in about 9 inches from each side and put a pencil mark on the tape,measure straight down to the top of the lip on the lower aperture panel and make a note of the measurments then cut the panel out, (only can be done if you are fitting the lower section) as you trial fit the new panel adjust to give you the same measurments before welding up.

method two, cut a cardboard template to the shape of the end of the apertures and use this when replacing the panel to give you the correct size.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users