#1 monkeymonk

monkeymonk

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:43 PM

Hi,
I went away on holiday for a week and came back today and i decided to go out for a drive. I got in the the car, tried starting it up and nothing happened. Is there something wrong with my battery or alternator or something. It's abit strange that the battery goes flat after not using my car for a week. Any ideas?

Sam

Edited by monkeymonk, 26 December 2009 - 08:43 PM.

#2 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:46 PM

Not unusual for a battery to die in a week, especially in the very cold weather and if it's a bit on the old side..

Jump-start (or better still recharge) the battery and with the car running, check the alternator is charging the battery properly, by putting a meter across the battery terminals. If it's 13-14ish volts, things should be ok. If there is only 12 or so volts after the battery has been charged, investigate the alternator and more likely, it's wiring further.

I suspect the battery is just a little weak though.

#3 monkeymonk

monkeymonk

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:51 PM

Not unusual for a battery to die in a week, especially in the very cold weather and if it's a bit on the old side..

Jump-start (or better still recharge) the battery and with the car running, check the alternator is charging the battery properly, by putting a meter across the battery terminals. If it's 13-14ish volts, things should be ok. If there is only 12 or so volts after the battery has been charged, investigate the alternator and more likely, it's wiring further.

I suspect the battery is just a little weak though.

I have it on charge at the moment, i'll test the battery and alternator once ive had it put back in.

Cheers

#4 Boycie

Boycie

• Members
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:54 PM

Nice one, do you have any extra alarms/ LEDs etc? Because all these things draw current, albeit very small but can easily discharge an iffy battery when the car sits for a few days.

#5 monkeymonk

monkeymonk

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:58 PM

Nice one, do you have any extra alarms/ LEDs etc? Because all these things draw current, albeit very small but can easily discharge an iffy battery when the car sits for a few days.

no extra alarms/ LEDs. Just standard alarm. I did replace some of the bulbs with LEDs and i have alot of speakers.......

#6 Boycie

Boycie

• Members
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:03 PM

Shouldn't be a problem unless you're running all that extra ICE and only doing short journeys. If you have a big amp/ sub etc and the lights flicker at night etc, you may wish to upgrade the battery to something bigger. A search will reveal all, but IIRC, a Peugeot 306 Diesel battery fits in the Mini space and will give you more reserve capacity.

You may then want to upgrade the alternator too, to something with a higher rated amperage. probably not too simple on an injection car tho..

#7 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:53 PM

I know for a fact that a standard alarm left on, with a decent battery, in the summer will go flat in two weeks (best possible scenario)

#8 mykweb

mykweb

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Local Club: does here count :)

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:40 AM

defo recomend the 306 diesle battery.

it has a lot of cold crank amps. All better for starting the car in this mega cold weather.

My mini with the original battery would never start first turn in the winter. Now with the bigger and better battery It starts first time every time, I can also leave it for 2 weeks and it will start first time.

Mike

#9 robtheplod

robtheplod

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:49 AM

it has a lot of cold crank amps. All better for starting the car in this mega cold weather.

My mini with the original battery would never start first turn in the winter. Now with the bigger and better battery It starts first time every time, I can also leave it for 2 weeks and it will start first time.

Mike

same thing here. My mini struggled with a week of not being used in the cold before I fitted the 075 battery - just been out and started him for the first time in nearly three weeks and fired up first time (spi).....

#10 Boycie

Boycie

• Members
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 02:12 PM

The trouble is, a big battery, whilst definately a good idea, can easily mask other issues. In fact, the standard Mini setup is (should be) more than adequate- in fact I can leave my totally standard carb-car untouched for 3 weeks and the battery will start it fine..

#11 monkeymonk

monkeymonk

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:38 PM

Mike

where can i get my hands on one of these? Halfrauds?

#12 mykweb

mykweb

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:23 AM

yeah halfauds sell them but you will be looking at proberly around £70 for one of these

Get yourself down to your local motor factors and ask for a Pug 306 TDi battery. I think from teh top my my head its a type 075, but I will check when I go home tonight.

I have never had any issues with mine, cracking battery and worth the money. I got mine for £35 I think inc VAT.

The only thing I have issues with is getting it in. I just applyed some vasaline to the bottom of the battery plastic and it went in with ease. (no jokes please)

Mike

#13 monkeymonk

monkeymonk

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:27 PM

ok, cheers

Also what brand have you got, i have no idea what a good brand is.

Edited by monkeymonk, 30 December 2009 - 12:49 PM.

#14 mykweb

mykweb

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:44 PM

not sure what brand mine is. Its just the one that the motor factors stock.

Bosh batteries are good, I had one in my MX5 and it kicked ass. But I found the Bosh battery in the 306 model was to expensive for the mini. Think I was quoted £120 + VAT

Mike

#15 monkeymonk

monkeymonk

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:31 PM

mmm.

Ive been quoted £40 for a numex battery. Just wondering if they are any good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users