39 replies to this topic

#1 1977 Loud_Mini

1977 Loud_Mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:34 PM

Hi all, i'm sure i've seen mk1 door hinges on a mk3/4 car somewhere (it was a works rally mini replica). Anyway i was hoping to maybe convert my 1977 mini to external door hinges and was wondering if anyone has done this and has any information about the conversion. Failing this, could mk1 doors be used on a mk3 onwards mini? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks, Evan.

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:44 PM

yes

and they are even on this forum :)

#3 xBR4DLEY

xBR4DLEY

>>mine's still gay<<

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:46 PM

Thought you were going to say use the FAQ's section
You've been saying that alot mate :)
But yeah you can

#4 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:46 PM

yes, it's alot of work (i've done it on the 89 in the link below), but just don't :)

#5 1977 Loud_Mini

1977 Loud_Mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:56 PM

Thanks for the help so far everyone, 1984mini25 so it's a complete no no then when trying to convert to the external hinges? Bungle, who was you referring to that has already done this modification?

#6 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:19 PM

oh, no it can be done, just it's not a simple conersion to do.

you need new outer a a panels, mk1 inner apanels with the brackets for the hinges, the hinges them selfs and the door need weight shedding if you plan on having the pins last for any lenght of time, as the later doors are heavyer.

just once you've choped the a panels off, you need to find away of lining up the mk1 inner panel so the door still fits, but you carn't use the original or mk1 hinges as you have nothing solid to bolt them too. :)

Edited by 1984mini25, 30 December 2009 - 11:19 PM.

#7 1977 Loud_Mini

1977 Loud_Mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:25 PM

oh, no it can be done, just it's not a simple conersion to do.

you need new outer a a panels, mk1 inner apanels with the brackets for the hinges, the hinges them selfs and the door need weight shedding if you plan on having the pins last for any lenght of time, as the later doors are heavyer.

just once you've choped the a panels off, you need to find away of lining up the mk1 inner panel so the door still fits, but you carn't use the original or mk1 hinges as you have nothing solid to bolt them too. :)

So if i manage to get the mk1 inner A panel and a new outer A panel i won't be able to bolt the hinge to it? Or do you mean i won't be able to bolt the hinge to the door because there isn't anything structural to bolt to?

#8 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:27 PM

Not untill it's all welded up and holes drilled etc, it's just a pain getting to that stage though.

#9 1977 Loud_Mini

1977 Loud_Mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:30 PM

Yea i can imagine its hard getting to that stage. Its a lot of hard work to try and achieve the mk1/2 look. Just out of curiousity where did you get your sliding windows from. Were they a kit?

#10 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:33 PM

Nope, the windows i made.

You flattern over the the lip on the top of the door to screw the mk1 slider rail thing to, fit all the new seals and fit the windows, whitch choped out from a sheet of polycarb.

#11 1977 Loud_Mini

1977 Loud_Mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:37 PM

Oh right, thanks for the help your windows look just like the mk1. I may have to give that a try sometime as i was going for the sliding window look.

#12 level7

level7

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:06 AM

Hi all, i'm sure i've seen mk1 door hinges on a mk3/4 car somewhere (it was a works rally mini replica). Anyway i was hoping to maybe convert my 1977 mini to external door hinges and was wondering if anyone has done this and has any information about the conversion. Failing this, could mk1 doors be used on a mk3 onwards mini? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks, Evan.

There is a kit available from Japan that has a replica external hinge which can be fitted to internally hinged doors, they don't do any work because the internal hinge is retained but look the dogs doodaas :P

here is the link ( I hope it works) http://babelfish.yah...TrUrl=Translate

Edited by level7, 31 December 2009 - 08:25 AM.

#13 dave21478

dave21478

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:49 AM

from a local forum.....this chap did it without using mkI a panels. Whether it will last long-term I dont know. Personally, I think mkI hinges are gash - the look nice but are only just stong enough for mkI doors, and even then are not as reliable as later hinges.

finished fit....
Posted Image

works as it should...
Posted Image

heavy duty plate inside the door to reinforce the bolt area...
Posted Image

another heavy plate that picks up the original hinge mounts on the door pillar, at has the holes for the mkI hinge....
Posted Image

Edited by dave21478, 31 December 2009 - 09:50 AM.

#14 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:45 AM

That's a novel way of doing it...

I've always wanted to try suicide doors on a mini... but that's a whole different topic....

#15 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:53 AM

You can approach that way with fibreglass doors, as they weigh about 3 kgs instead of the 19kgs of a standard door with winder, glass and so on.
Fitting a standard door with mk1 hinges without reinforcing a panels.. i dont think it will last long..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users