Photo
- - - - -

V-tec Engined Mini's - How Do They Drive?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 RED HOT

RED HOT

Fantasy F1 Winner 2011

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:58 PM

A message to all those who've done the conversion really, thinking of going down this road, but really want to know what to expect?

Do they have really bad understeer?
Torque and/or bump steer?
Is the back end really light? lift off oversteer etc
and generally how to they handle?

Whether it’s positive or negative just jot it down below

It’s the allspeed B16 conversion I’m contemplating and I’m aware suspension and geo settings will make or break the car also, but your feedback none the less would be appreciated.

If you are happy, a quick spec would be appreciated; again coilovers or shocks & springs or donuts, anti-roll bars etc etc plus anything else you felt has made it worthwhile or transformed the car.

Thanks

#2 ginger_monkey

ginger_monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:59 PM

I'll let you know in a couple of weeks :lol: but as for things like handling as you've said it's all to do with the suspension being set up right. Understeer can be easily overcome by not getting your boot down in a corner. As with getting off the line I'm sure with a bit of sense you can get some good starts and not smoke them up. People keep going to me about "getting the power down" and it'll never move and if it does you'll be off in the first corner. Total horse manure. I also have a sportsbike and everyone said when I first got it that I'll crash it and kill myself on a corner in the first week cause it's "too fast for your first bike" I just say it's only as fast as I twist the throttle. Funny but the first week came and past about 3 years ago and haven't found that corner :crazy: (touching wood, touching wood)
The rear of the car can be a bit light if you fit a beam but don't think it's anything to worry about. keep it standard and it'll handle much the same as a standard car. never done any anti roll bars and such so can't comment but if I was you I'd just go for it, do your research and you can always mod and change your setup to suit.

Good luck

#3 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:08 AM

Hopefully whenever I get mine done I can take it to castle combe again this year, would be good to see the difference with Mr Monkeys as mine will have the 3.4 final drive fitted on 12's so be good to see the difference of all this first gear malarky, and ragging it round the track aswell! :lol:

#4 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:13 PM

IVE HAD TWO NOW THE FIRST ONE WAS DONE AS A COMPLETE DRIVE IN DRIVE OUT CONVERSION.
£8500 POUNDS IT COST ME AND THE WORST MONEY IVE EVER SPENT GREAT IN A STRAIGHT LINE BUT ON THE CORNERS IT WAS SO BAD I SOLD IT,
I HAD THE SUSPENION SET AND RESET COUNTLES TIMES, I EVEN GOT OTHER RACE DRIVER TO TEST THE CAR TO MAKE SURE IT WASNT ME. ONE OF WHICH ONLY DID A LAP AND BROUGHT IT IN SAYING IT WAS THE WORST CAR HE HAD EVER DRIVEN.

MY CARS ARE RACE CARS AND NOT ROAD CARS.

ROUND THE TRACKS IN BRITAIN IT WAS AT LEAST ON AVERAGE 7 SECONDS A LAP SLOWER THAN FULL RACE A SERIES MINI. NO LIE..
IVE NOW GOT A FULL SPACE FRAMED MINI WITH A VTEC IN THE FRONT, THIS IS A MUCH BETTER CAR BUT THERE IS NO MINI LEFT IN IT. IT JUST LOOKS LIKE ONE. NONE OF THE MINI SUSPENSION IS THERE IS HAS BEEN BUILT FROM SCRATCH

WHEN THE VTEC GOES IN A MINI IT CHANGES THE GEOMATRY SO MUCH ITS NOT A MINI ANY MORE. AS A ROAD CAR I THINK THEY WILL BE FINE AS YOU DONT PUSH THEM SO HARD BUT DEFINATLY ARE NOT A TRACK CAR TAKE IT FROM ME AND MY £8500 LOSS

#5 billyboy83

billyboy83

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Local Club: www.16vminiclub.com

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:10 PM

Out of intrest what frame was that with MIGLIACARS ? As teh allspeed frame keeps all the mini type suspension and mini geomatry, where the watson type frames dont.

#6 captainjack15

captainjack15

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 3,925 posts
  • Local Club: Somerset Rusteez

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:45 PM

Hopefully whenever I get mine done I can take it to castle combe again this year, would be good to see the difference with Mr Monkeys as mine will have the 3.4 final drive fitted on 12's so be good to see the difference of all this first gear malarky, and ragging it round the track aswell! :tumble:

Don't forget about me :P :lol:

#7 HARBER07

HARBER07

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,498 posts
  • Local Club: Naaa......

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:50 PM

You'll be well behind Jack :tumble:

#8 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:56 PM

blimey

Posted Image

#9 captainjack15

captainjack15

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 3,925 posts
  • Local Club: Somerset Rusteez

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:21 PM

You'll be well behind Jack :tumble:

The finish line by the time you've finished yours!

#10 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:19 AM

A message to all those who've done the conversion really, thinking of going down this road, but really want to know what to expect?

Do they have really bad understeer?
Torque and/or bump steer?
Is the back end really light? lift off oversteer etc
and generally how to they handle?

Whether it’s positive or negative just jot it down below

It’s the allspeed B16 conversion I’m contemplating and I’m aware suspension and geo settings will make or break the car also, but your feedback none the less would be appreciated.

If you are happy, a quick spec would be appreciated; again coilovers or shocks & springs or donuts, anti-roll bars etc etc plus anything else you felt has made it worthwhile or transformed the car.

Thanks

Miglia racer Bill Sollis gives some good reviews and driving impressions of various Honda vtec engined Mini's on some of the Minifilms track test DVD's. He does however comment that the Metro based front subframe conversions do detract from the traditional Mini feedback and handling.........
http://www.minifilms...engineswap.html

#11 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:19 PM

IT WASNT THE ALLSPEED TYPE FRAME.
I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THESE HANDLE..
BUT I DO NO THE BEST HANDLING MINIS ARE STILL THE MIGLIAS AS NO FRONT ENGINED MINI CAN TOUCH THEM ON A TRACK... PROB DUE TO STILL HAVING ALL MINI SUSPENION

#12 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:31 PM

Migliacars - Can you please stop typing with the CAPS LOCK ON, not only is it annoying but also comes across as SHOUTING, if you are shouting due to your experience then fairy muff, but surely you must chill some of the time :shifty:

#13 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:34 PM

Don't forget about me :P ;)

Didnt forget about you Jack :kiss: I just meant it will be good to see how Mr Monkeys first gear is compared with mine to see if the new final drive was money well spent :shifty:

#14 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:37 PM

Migliacars - as above what subframe was you using on your drive in drive out as that does sound like a Watsons price as mentioned by billyboy83?

#15 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:12 AM

caps lock off.
i dont want to seem like i on here slagging off kits/work so im not going to state the kit used. not allspeed though..
i would like to see one in action though and compare it to the one i used to have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users