12 replies to this topic

#1 daveirish1

daveirish1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 02:24 PM

finally getting around to putting some choons in my 92 city, as it came with nothing, not even an aerial! so i have speakers in, that was easy, i cant imagine the aerial will be that hard to install, but getting power to it will be a prob, no? is it within reach of a (very!) novice diy-er?
much appreciated lads n lasses :)

#2 tipcat

tipcat

Pancake King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Local Club:

Posted 01 April 2004 - 07:32 PM

Unless you're going for a power aerial, you don't need power... All you need to do is pick a place for an aerial to go (if there's not a hole already) ((usual places are either the roof or the left hand wing)); drill a hole the right size for the aerial; and feed the antenna lead through. If you're going in the roof, you'll need to make you're way through the liner, down the pillar, and behind the dash..If you're going on the wing, you'll probably find a hole through the bulkhead. It's not hard, really - just frightening when you start to drill through your car! :)

#3 daveirish1

daveirish1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 06:06 PM

sorry i actually meant getting power to the head unit! how hard is that to do?

#4 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 04 April 2004 - 07:21 PM

try taking a live from the battery with a fuse inbetween.

#5 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 06 April 2004 - 10:08 PM

then an ignition live(just take it from the ignition barrel) i did mine not too long ago its really easy, sometimes u dont even need a fused line as some unit come with an inline built in!

#6 rob mini

rob mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 11:33 PM

You know with the new head units that come out with thathuge connector block on the end of them, is it best to chop that off and wire from scratch or to get the other end of the connector and wire that into the car?

rob

#7 daveirish1

daveirish1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 08:18 AM

to get the other end of the connector and wire that into the car?

won't i have to do that anyway? i'd hate to have to chop up the connector at the back but surely you can get another one to fit it from an electrical store or something? so i can wire everythin up then just slot in the h/u? might try that now seein as i'm still looking and waiting for a stereo cowling (standard mini dash-sorry! gonna make my own custom one, :) forking out €200 for a waterski with holes in it! :grin: )

#8 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:29 PM

Yeah use the connector thjat comes withthe H/u as a guide then wire up the other part of the connector so it all matches. :grin:

#9 daveirish1

daveirish1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 11:15 AM

was just checking out www.miniresource.com there and they have a FAQ section bout installing a stereo, apparently all you have to do is connect both live wires to specific connectors in the fuse box and earth the earth! that make sense? i could have that done in less than an hour, excellent!

p.s. sorry for betraying ye! but you know what they say . . .

you can read the menu,

but eat at home! :tongue:

#10 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 11:25 AM

LOL, no worries we all help each other... maybe we need our very own Ice installation tech guide then HMMmmm

#11 daveirish1

daveirish1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 05:00 PM

i know where theres one? no no no we cant do that............. :oneeye:

#12 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 10:07 PM

LMFAO.....

#13 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 19 April 2004 - 07:51 PM

Right, the connect block that comes from the back of the unit usually has a block comign from it. this is called an ISO connecto, its an international std conector that usually u need an intermediate from the cars wiring loom through the to the radio.

what i did was mine was started from scratch, though u could hard wire a connector block in to make things alot easier int he fucure if u wanted to change the radio!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users