mikespicooper

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Local Club: cyprus mini club, CMCT

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:41 AM

Hi there all!!!
I was wondering if there's anybody to help me sort out what is for a EGT(exhaust gas temperature) sensor bolted on the exhaust pipe right after the catalyst of my spi mini????
The sensor was broken accidentally on a 2 inch step when i was trying to reverse park the car into the garage.
The wiring of the sensor ends up behind the dashboard on an orange control box with a warning buzzer connected to it.
I search for one of those sensors and i wasn't able to source one or really anyone to explain me for what the sensor is there for.
Mike

#2 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:06 PM

Hi there all!!!
I was wondering if there's anybody to help me sort out what is for a EGT(exhaust gas temperature) sensor bolted on the exhaust pipe right after the catalyst of my spi mini????
The sensor was broken accidentally on a 2 inch step when i was trying to reverse park the car into the garage.
The wiring of the sensor ends up behind the dashboard on an orange control box with a warning buzzer connected to it.
I search for one of those sensors and i wasn't able to source one or really anyone to explain me for what the sensor is there for.
Mike

Hi Mike,
From what I can tell that was only fitted for the Japanese market. There is more information in the attached link, it is item number 62.

http://www.somerford...cs-Injectio.pdf

I have a 94 Japanese SPI with the catalytic removed and wires cut off on the sensor by the previous owner. Apparently, the purpose of the sensor and buzzer was to warn of overheating of the catalytic converter. Some people in the forum report of melting inside the catalyst due to overheat. However the UK models did not have this sensor.

Even though this is for the later model (Japanese SPI 97+ and MPI engine block) it explains the function of the sensor and buzzer in page 45 of the PDF.

http://www.theminifo...x...st&id=68242

Here is the wiring diagram for the function on page 23 that goes with the explanation above.

http://www.theminifo...x...st&id=68240

I hope that helps,

Ivan

#3 mikespicooper

mikespicooper

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Local Club: cyprus mini club, CMCT

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:28 PM

Hi there all!!!
Mike

Hi Mike,
From what I can tell that was only fitted for the Japanese market. There is more information in the attached link, it is item number 62.

http://www.somerford...cs-Injectio.pdf

I have a 94 Japanese SPI with the catalytic removed and wires cut off on the sensor by the previous owner. Apparently, the purpose of the sensor and buzzer was to warn of overheating of the catalytic converter. Some people in the forum report of melting inside the catalyst due to overheat. However the UK models did not have this sensor.

Even though this is for the later model (Japanese SPI 97+ and MPI engine block) it explains the function of the sensor and buzzer in page 45 of the PDF.

http://www.theminifo...x...st&id=68242

Here is the wiring diagram for the function on page 23 that goes with the explanation above.

http://www.theminifo...x...st&id=68240

I hope that helps,

Ivan

Thank you Ivan for the info it was very helpful!
I've got my hands still greased as i have to get the engine of the mini due to some flywheel issues... it slipped on the crankshaft and lost 10 degrees from where the cps sensor is reading for the ignition. A broken locating key and a badly cold welded crankshaft.
This is the second time that thing happens so i will replace the crankshaft with a lightened one and lightened con rods and rebore to +30!
I was thinking about the ultimate mini squirt 'plug and play' programmable ECU but i think i have to find someone first who is skillful enough to reprogram it.

#4 buznout

buznout

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:31 AM

Digging up an old topic here but the way I read this, disconnecting the sensor will not affect the running of the car via the ECU. Will just remove the warning if an overtemp of the cat occurs yeah?

I have a 98 Jap mini and my looking to change the exhaust when I noticed the EGT sensor which doesn't appear in the workshop manuals. Not sure that the off the shelf systems have this bung.

Edited by buznout, 21 December 2016 - 04:31 AM.

#5 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:46 AM

It's not connected to the ECU function. If you don't want it cut and seal the wiring in the car.

FS

Edited by FlyingScot, 21 December 2016 - 07:46 AM.

#6 buznout

buznout

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:35 AM

Posted to another thread but adding pics of the device here also for reference. I had cut the sensor off when I changed the exhaust so it is not shown in the images..

xTiGkNO.jpg

8VOfR7x.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users