20 replies to this topic

#1 minimk1cooper850

minimk1cooper850

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:41 PM

i am trying my best to get hold of an austin metro and a 1275 engine, but i am worryed as will any classic mini alloys fit on the metro? i am only asking as i see so many nice classic mini alloys and i just would like to know weither i should snap up a set when i can and get them reconditioned ready!!!! or would i be crying my heart out when i get the metro and they wont fit?
... Thanks
:dontgetit:

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:44 PM

Metro wheels have a deep -ve offset, physically the wheels will fit, but you will need to flare the metro arches to cover them....

Think I have a set of metro alloys ( similar to compomotive ) somewhere...

#3 minimk1cooper850

minimk1cooper850

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:31 PM

Metro wheels have a deep -ve offset, physically the wheels will fit, but you will need to flare the metro arches to cover them....

i dont mind about abit of wheel sticking out, personaly i love the look of the wheels sticking out :dontgetit: just got to watch mr.poiliceman :ermm:

how much would you want for them ? and a picture mabey ? :ermm: .....

#4 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:42 PM

i dont mind about abit of wheel sticking out, personaly i love the look of the wheels sticking out :dontgetit: just got to watch mr.poiliceman :ermm:

It will be more than a bit though. Not caterham style but definatly not legal.

#5 minimk1cooper850

minimk1cooper850

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:45 PM

:\ ...... so even sports pack ones would be out to far?

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:59 PM

even standard rover mini steelies would stick out...

#7 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:23 PM

i dont mind about abit of wheel sticking out, personaly i love the look of the wheels sticking out :P just got to watch mr.poiliceman :thumbsup:

how much would you want for them ? and a picture mabey ? :mrcool: .....

:\ ...... so even sports pack ones would be out to far?

Yes, as guessworks said they will stick out a hell of a lot, there wide wheels. There is companys that do arch rolling but you risk your paintwork, and we all know what Metro rear arches are like for corrosion...

#8 minimk1cooper850

minimk1cooper850

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:37 AM

sorry for more questions but would it be possable to fit some arches on ? like ... sports pack ones ? or somthing like them i looked for body kit but couldnt find one so this my next option ? thanks (:

Edited by GileraDna, 13 April 2010 - 10:37 AM.

#9 nathansminis

nathansminis

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:00 AM

I think skinny alloys will fit.

I have 12" mini fitment KN Jupiters on mine:

Posted Image

However, it is now alot lower and the rear wheels catch on the rear arches - nothing a bit of a roll wont sort, but i havent had a chance to bash it with a hammer yet.

I did whack on my SEMI-deep dish 13x7" superlights to se how it would look, and they stick out too far to be legal:

Posted Image

Posted Image

As for a body kit, mini-type arches would look weird i think, but you could go for the metro turbo/gta bodykit depending on its age and body shape.

Will try and find some updated pictures of mine if you like. (its my daily driver and a hoot to use! - still miss my mini though - will be back on the road soon. the amount of tools you can get in the back of this is unreal!!!)

#10 minimk1cooper850

minimk1cooper850

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:26 AM

I think skinny alloys will fit.

I have 12" mini fitment KN Jupiters on mine:

Posted Image

However, it is now alot lower and the rear wheels catch on the rear arches - nothing a bit of a roll wont sort, but i havent had a chance to bash it with a hammer yet.

I did whack on my SEMI-deep dish 13x7" superlights to se how it would look, and they stick out too far to be legal:

Posted Image

Posted Image

As for a body kit, mini-type arches would look weird i think, but you could go for the metro turbo/gta bodykit depending on its age and body shape.

Will try and find some updated pictures of mine if you like. (its my daily driver and a hoot to use! - still miss my mini though - will be back on the road soon. the amount of tools you can get in the back of this is unreal!!!)

WOW! :dontgetit: thats the exact type of look i like on the car :genius: , the wide *stick out* alloys, thts perfect for what i want anyway ;) ... my friend had cosworth alloys on his fiesta, they sick out more then these :) .... but they look so nice with them like that,
thanks for the pictures i am realy happy now with going ahead with getin alloys like them :P
your car looks loverly (shame about the scrape :P )! i hope mine is simular when i get it! :)
id like to see more pictures of your metro ? :genius:

(: thanks

Edited by GileraDna, 13 April 2010 - 11:27 AM.

#11 nathansminis

nathansminis

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:28 AM

haha! just be aware the center caps of mini wheels wont be able to fir due to the design of the metro hubs.

and the scape was done by my mate the previous owner on his brick gatepost :P after i told him not to drive it with no brakes (no fluid due to leaky cylinder)

i bought it for £50, spent £200 on bits for MOT and 'bling', and been driving it ever since!

need to take some updated pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

also stripped a top of the range 5-door mk2 GS, with electric everything if you need any parts. have most of the running gear and loads of interior bits.

join up to www.metroownersclub.org also :)

Edited by nathansminis, 14 April 2010 - 08:34 AM.

#12 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:16 AM

Moved.

#13 silva_mini

silva_mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:31 AM

I think you may have problems with arch clearance on the front with wider wheels, same problem as the mini, the front arch lip will get in the way when you steer.

#14 silva_mini

silva_mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:00 AM

Here's a couple of photos of my old MG metro when I got intrigued and put my mini alloys on just to see what they'd look like. Car was sorned so was just purely out of interest. Like I said above, the car could never have left the drive anyway, the wheels couldnt turn! Ive seen people run wider (x7) mini rims on the back of metro's, bet they usually then run a skinnier alloy of the same design (x5) up front the get clearance, the difference in deep dish looks a bit silly though. Saying that, this is an MG metro, the track may be wider at the front because of the brakes, I think the austins had different brakes, but I cant be sure as i've never had one. Here's the photos anyway :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 minimk1cooper850

minimk1cooper850

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:38 AM

wow i realy didnt like metros all that much, dont get me wrong i did like them but now :( ... i think i have found my dream car to be bought once i pass my test :(

Could cutting the arches abit help ? :) if done carefully would the be enough clearence or mabey have 2 wider wheels for rear ... and 2 slimmer wheels for front ? or would that look out of plce :\ ... your mg metro looks loverly and that blue one ... i just want it =[

i cant wait to have my own (:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users