#1 Minimainiac

Minimainiac

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:51 AM

I would like some idea of a value for insurance on my 1962 Austin Cooper 997. Please bear in mind the car has not been restored and the only panels not original are the osr qtr and os door skin as the second owners son damaged them around 30yrs ago and the rear valance approx 10yrs ago. It has never had any floor or sills replaced or repaired and is rust free. It is in the rarest colour that was produced (fiesta yellow and OEW) and has the original powder blue and brocade interior. It has only done 43k (believed correct) and had been in dry storage for 19yrs before I purchased it.

I have overhauled the brakes and removed the original underseal from the rear arch's and put them back to body colour.

It was also featured in classic and sports car magazine last year with Sir Stirling Moss driving it around London.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Minimainiac, 20 May 2010 - 09:54 AM.

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:58 AM

Value wise I'd see it in the 5-8k margin, therefore insurance wise double it to something like 10-15k the higher the better...but it's what the insurance firm will allow you to get away with.

As you say, 'original condition' is worth more than a restored version of the same which I would not rate so highly.

#3 Minimainiac

Minimainiac

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:29 AM

Value wise I'd see it in the 5-8k margin, therefore insurance wise double it to something like 10-15k the higher the better...but it's what the insurance firm will allow you to get away with.

As you say, 'original condition' is worth more than a restored version of the same which I would not rate so highly.

I was thinking 8-10k. I could not find an original car to compare it with and I don't think I could find a properly restored one for less than 8k.

#4 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:54 AM

You may be right, but IMO, mini 'values' are over estimated at this time, yes there was a 'boom' a few years ago when prices seemed to be increasing exponentially but that is well and truly over.

You do see very nice period vehicles for sale at some rather highly inflated prices, but the bottom line is, they hang around, repeated adverts in publications, ebay, pistonheads and other classic sources.

I agree it should be 'worth' more, but at that money I don't think it would sell, and that's the crux, it's only worth what someone is willing to part with their money for.

#5 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:28 AM

That is a truely lovely unmolested car and in all honesty you would find it very difficult to replace (like for like condition wise).
I think 8 - 10 K is reasonable for insurance but I hope you never need to think about replacing it as you would struggle to find a car with the same patena and non-over restored appeal to replace it with.

Made my day seeing it .

#6 surfblue63

surfblue63

TMF fantasy F1 winner 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
  • Local Club: MCR Newcastle & Durham

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:47 PM

When this car was for sale before you purchased it was originally advertised at £11k, when the price dropped to £9k I viewed it and walked away, when it was £8k I went back and ummed and arred about it and went to see my surf blue '63 the next day. You must have come along soon after me and snapped it up, so I would say it is worth at least £8k as it is an original 997 (numbers matching) with all of its original fittings (well almost, I seam to remember one or two of the windows were replacements).
For insurance I would put £10k.

Edited by surfblue63, 20 May 2010 - 12:48 PM.

#7 Minimainiac

Minimainiac

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:01 PM

When this car was for sale before you purchased it was originally advertised at £11k, when the price dropped to £9k I viewed it and walked away, when it was £8k I went back and ummed and arred about it and went to see my surf blue '63 the next day. You must have come along soon after me and snapped it up, so I would say it is worth at least £8k as it is an original 997 (numbers matching) with all of its original fittings (well almost, I seam to remember one or two of the windows were replacements).
For insurance I would put £10k.

Your right one drivers door glass has been changed, it may have been broken when the door was smashed up.

#8 slyoldfox2001

slyoldfox2001

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:04 PM

if its for insurances purposes only i would try and get an agreed value of £12k
you can go higher if u wish......this will just increase ur premium.

as for market value it has quite alot going for it - 997, colour, very original, past history so i could see it selling for £8k

the yanks may even pay more than that :0)

#9 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:32 PM

as for market value it has quite alot going for it - 997, colour, very original, past history so i could see it selling for £8k

Or the Germans....just heard of one paying high teens for an original '64 cooper 970!!!

#10 1293sleeper

1293sleeper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • Local Club: i'll just stick with TMF

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:39 PM

i have a fixed value on my insurance of £6k and my car is nothing special compaired to his as my car is just a modd'ed 71 so i woud aim for the £10k mark, when i insured my 1975 wood npicket gt they took into account that it would be hard to find a car the same and unrestored,

#11 Minimainiac

Minimainiac

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:00 PM

That is a truely lovely unmolested car and in all honesty you would find it very difficult to replace (like for like condition wise).
I think 8 - 10 K is reasonable for insurance but I hope you never need to think about replacing it as you would struggle to find a car with the same patena and non-over restored appeal to replace it with.

Made my day seeing it .

Thanks, I agree replacing it would be very difficult should anything happen to her. I am hoping to take her to the Bristol mini day on the 6th June, if you go please come over and introduce yourself.

#12 slyoldfox2001

slyoldfox2001

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:01 PM

i have a fixed value on my insurance of £6k and my car is nothing special compaired to his as my car is just a modd'ed 71 so i woud aim for the £10k mark, when i insured my 1975 wood npicket gt they took into account that it would be hard to find a car the same and unrestored,

well i dont know your car but thats doesnt seem to be a fair comparrison

yours is a 71 so that make it a late mk2 or an early mk3
this is an early mk1 cooper with quite a rare engine, and in a rare original colour, which looks to be 95% original and in great condition. the reg no may even have quite a bit of value as well (with it probably being dateless)

Edited by slyoldfox2001, 20 May 2010 - 02:02 PM.

#13 1293sleeper

1293sleeper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:01 PM

i'll be the guy with a mohawk dribbling on your car ;)

#14 Minimainiac

Minimainiac

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:03 PM

Or the Germans....just heard of one paying high teens for an original '64 cooper 970!!!

If I could afford it, I would pay high teens for an original 970 Cooper S too. They only made several hundred of them.

#15 1293sleeper

1293sleeper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:04 PM

well i dont know your car but thats doesnt seem to be a fair comparrison

yours is a 71 so that make it a late mk2 or an early mk3
this is an early mk1 cooper with quite a rare engine, and in a rare original colour, which looks to be 95% original and in great condition. the reg no may even have quite a bit of value as well (with it probably being dateless)

what im saying is my car is replacable in the eyes of insurers where as the mk1 is alot harder to find espially like one like this so if i get fixed at £6k his should be alot higher.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users