42 replies to this topic

#1 Jet_black

Jet_black

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:57 PM

Has anyone got 8" subwoofers fitted in their Mini because I want to replace my sub in my boot with some so I can get my boot back. I am looking for ideas of where to put them so any pictures would be good. Thanks.

#2 MiniMan65

MiniMan65

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet!

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:02 PM

Woah....you're reading my mind man....I was going to post this thread tonight after reading about them in another thread.

I like subtle ICE and I'd rather not loose the boot or rear seat space either, the idea of a pair of small subs on the back shelf appeals greatly as I'm thinking of bunging an amp and the HU under the rear bench out of the way and unseen.

What the 8" subs like then?

#3 minilester

minilester

One Carb Or Two?

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:03 PM

are we talking a single 8" mounted in the parcel shelf or any where thats not the boot?

#4 Jet_black

Jet_black

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:08 PM

are we talking a single 8" mounted in the parcel shelf or any where thats not the boot?

Yes ideally not in the boot because I want the space back.

#5 minilester

minilester

One Carb Or Two?

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:12 PM

im kinda lookin into this too (nice to see we're doin the same thing here) i want to mount a single 8" driver in the middle of the shelf and some 6.5"/5" either side of it.
lookin up this sort of thing means we wont be buying free-air subs as the boot will be our "box"...

so if people have pictures of "subs-in-shelves" i'd love a look and a break down of everything you did (make of sub/amp, how you mounted it)

:( as theres a few of us that would like to do this

:(:):(:):cry::):):):ermm:

#6 h4wx1e

h4wx1e

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Local Club: sutton mini club

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:23 PM

i have two 8inch in-phase subs on my rear shelf, gives me the grin factor all the time.

#7 Jet_black

Jet_black

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:25 PM

i have two 8inch in-phase subs on my rear shelf, gives me the grin factor all the time.

Are they mounted where people normally mount speakers in the rear shelf.

#8 h4wx1e

h4wx1e

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:38 PM

ye but i tilted them slightly, i originaly had 1 in the center of the shelf but decided to fit another a few weeks ago. i will be mounting 2 more under the rear seats after i modify my rear door cards to take the 6x9s

#9 Jet_black

Jet_black

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:40 PM

ye but i tilted them slightly, i originaly had 1 in the center of the shelf but decided to fit another a few weeks ago. i will be mounting 2 more under the rear seats after i modify my rear door cards to take the 6x9s

Have you got any pictures please.

#10 h4wx1e

h4wx1e

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:05 PM

i have but im on my phone at the mo but should be able to put some on tomorrow, i havent got any of me fitting them due to rushing it to get it ready for himley. the subs are chrome too which look great and they perform very well

#11 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:40 PM

Check out this thread: http://www.theminifo...howtopic=150349

or check out some pictures of where I put mine and how I did it:

http://www.theminifo...x...t&p=1815706

http://www.theminifo...x...t&p=1825024

I have a 10" sub in the box so a box for an 8" sub would be smaller so take up less room.

Edited by Brams96, 23 May 2010 - 06:41 PM.

#12 MiniMan65

MiniMan65

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet!

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:33 PM

I would love to do something in the rear bins as I don't really use them but I just don't think I'm skilled enough and to be honest I think I'm going to get rid of them anyway fairly soon.

The idea of two 8" subs in the back shelf appeals great, much more subtle, much easier to fit and to be honest I don't want or need some massive tub thumper, I just want to fill out the sound in the car a bit. I look forward with interest to see what you've done H4.

#13 h4wx1e

h4wx1e

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:04 PM

if you dont want much of a thud just think about fitting one because mine is now seriously loud, i was told it was loud and crisp befor which is good for spl (still dont understand what that means :) ) but now its more bassier than my mates 10inch boxed sony item hooked up to his recommended amp. it makes me sound like a chipmonk when i put some dirty b-lines through it. ;)

#14 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:09 PM

SPL = Sound Pressure Level, measured in dB's (decibels)

Basically SPL is the thump you 'feel' rather than hear when your sub is cranking. You know that feeling like your chest is caving in and your head goes all fuzzy with big bass! Thats SPL.

#15 Rich.

Rich.

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:27 PM

SPL = Sound Pressure Level, measured in dB's (decibels)

Basically SPL is the thump you 'feel' rather than hear when your sub is cranking. You know that feeling like your chest is caving in and your head goes all fuzzy with big bass! Thats SPL.

Not neccaserraly.

SPL does stand for sound pressure level, however in audio terms its genrally SPL(Db) that we are talking about, which is measured on a logarithmic scale measured in Decibels, the unit of 'Sound volume' if you will. SPL does not just imply to chest rubling bass, almost even component that emits a sound also has an SPL reding given with it, which is the most accurate method of measuing the performance of a driver or tweeter. For example a £20 1000w speaker may produce a reading of 50 decibels, yet a 100w £200 speaker will be able to produce a 100 Db output, due to it being a more efficient driver. So effectivly, the SPL reading is the volume of a speaker, be it a ear piercing tweeter or a floor rumbling 18" driver. Well, im a Pro sound technician, so this is coming from a large scale audio side of the market, which i assume to be the same as the car audio side.

As for sub positioning, i have a Rockford 10" sub mounted in my parcel shelf, i just need to get round to building an enclosure for it.

Posted Image

Rich

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users