58 replies to this topic

#1 minilover123

minilover123

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:41 PM

hi, im looking for a sub to fit in my mini im thinking either this alpine type x sub 12" 3000watt max or this vibe space 15" 3000 watt max

http://www.alpine-eu.....hm-+-4Ohm.htm

http://www.bassjunki...44&source=brand

which would be better? any other suggestions would be great.

what type of amp would i need for either of these subs?

#2 crocstarr

crocstarr

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:05 PM

the amp that you use all depends on what other speakers you will have feeding off the amp, ie 6x9's or the little 12 cm types.
i have a 1200 watt jbl sub, 300 watt 6 x 9's infinity and an 800 watt amp. that seems to do the job. you can phone bass junkies for advice, on what to buy.

#3 minilover123

minilover123

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 09:32 PM

ok cheers, im looking to just run just the sub of a mono amp

#4 Don't Panic

Don't Panic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:13 PM

I'm not all that familiar with vibe (although i've heard good things) but Alpine I know are great, thats one hell of a sub, make sure you get an amp thats capable of suppling 1000watts RMS (thats a big amp!)

Where are you intending on mounting the sub?

I was looking at one of These, which also requires 1000Watts RMS, this is alittle smaller 12" and requires a sub box, im not sure if either of those two do, but im a fan of pioneer so its good for price comparison.

#5 minilover123

minilover123

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 11:02 PM

yeah, im thinking of going for the alpine anyway, im thinking of just using the whole boot as a box for the sub and having port holes in my parcel shelf as i alredy have some small speakers in there i can just take out. i aint sure where im going to mount my amp yet il find somewhere . gonna be gud when im finished! :grin:

#6 Don't Panic

Don't Panic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 11:39 PM

yeah make sure you insulate the boot well, ive heard of that much bass acctually fracturing rear shocks! you could mount the amp/amps under the rear seats?

#7 chairchild

chairchild

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:03 AM

im thinking of just using the whole boot as a box for the sub and having port holes in my parcel shelf as i alredy have some small speakers in there i can just take out.

unless it's a free-air sub - that wont work,and you'll just damage the sub I'm afraid

Use it in a box with the correct volume, as specified by the makers, and you'll be FAR more impressed than if you used it free-air, or used a generic "universal - one size suits nothing" box

#8 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:07 AM

mate, you REALLY dont need anything more powerfull that 500watts. You will jsut be putting unnecessary on your alternator.

500watts is MORE than enough to fill a mini with bass. Im running a free air Pioneer sub on my rear shelf. Powered by a 200watt Kenwood mono amp.

This is MORE than enough bass for me. Because its not in a box, it isnt as boomy as an enclosed sub. But its perfect for the type of music I listen to. :tongue:
(Blink 182, New found glory, Bowling for soup, Starting line, Simple plan, Etc)

<|Ben|>

#9 minilover123

minilover123

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 01:09 PM

lol, i want it to be crazy loud, and yeh those bands r ace! new found glory :D

#10 minilover123

minilover123

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 01:10 PM

does anyone know how to power one sub with two amps?

#11 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 01:29 PM

If you are spending £300 on a sub you need to put a fair bit of consideration into how you are going to install it.

Don't expect it to sound good because its got a fairy tale wattage figure and a hefty price tag.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, equipment makes up a fraction of the installation, without time, effort and a bit of thought it will never work to its full potential.

If you want loud i wouldn't buy a either of those, i'd fit a pair of 12" Jl audios or sumat similar, they are proper no frills subs but do what they are designed to very well. They don't boast silly rms figures (the one on the link is only 125watts rms).

Stick them in a proper enclosure on the rear seat and prepare for your ears to bleed.

I fitted one of these for a mate a few years back, we built a decent ported enclosure from 1" mdf (it weighed a ton), took us 2 days just to do the box. When fitted it was so loud that it hirt your eyes as well as your ears.

JL audio 12W0-4

as for an amp i'd get sumat like this, 4 channels and enough power for 2 subs and a decent pair of comps.
JBL amp

#12 minilover123

minilover123

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:10 PM

im planning to spent most of the time fabricating the box. i realise what your saying but i think a 1000rms sub will be a lil bit louder thn that jl 125rms.

#13 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:58 PM

1000watt RMS.

HAHAHA!

#14 minilover123

minilover123

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 03:07 PM

hahaha???

#15 chairchild

chairchild

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 03:48 PM

This is MORE than enough bass for me. Because its not in a box, it isnt as boomy as an enclosed sub. But its perfect for the type of music I listen to. :tongue:
(Blink 182, New found glory, Bowling for soup, Starting line, Simple plan, Etc)

<|Ben|>

actually, I think you'll find it'll sound even better if you put it into a box :wink:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users