grahama

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts
  • Local Club: None in my area !!

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:26 PM

Hi all,

I read on another site, (mig welding I think), that you can not weld a sub frame, MOT failure !! Is this so as I have had a look at mine and the metal is a little thin in places and could do with a replacement piece really on top.

If I can what is the guage of metal needed??

Graham

#2 edi57

edi57

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:36 PM

I have welded a repair patch that I made myself on my subframe and all has been fine.

I can't see any reason why you couldn't weld your subframe. As long as a proper job has been done, then there is no reason for an MOT tester to fail it. I'm sure years ago repair patches used to be sold for rear subframes.

You can use slightly thicker gauge metal for the subframe compared to the body. 1.2mm would work nicely.

Ed

#3 tommy13

tommy13

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:37 PM

Yes , no problem at all with welded repairs to the subframe. Try to use the same thickness metal as original, this may vary on different parts of the subframe, the thinner parts being aprox 20 gauge and 18 gauge for thicker parts. These are probably best seam welded for strength.

#4 Miniowner123

Miniowner123

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:39 PM

think minisport still sell the repair pieces, if its that bad a good replacement would be better but if moneys tight then a patch it has to be

#5 xBR4DLEY

xBR4DLEY

>>mine's still gay<<

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:47 PM

My uncle told me you have to patch along the whole side instead of just little patches otherwise it is an MOT failure and he works in the motortrade , I wouldnt doubt his advice , but wait for re-assurance as it might not be correct

#6 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:08 PM

Welding the rear frame is fine for the MOT, I've done it loads of times.

Hadrian do a repair section for it as well.

#7 xBR4DLEY

xBR4DLEY

>>mine's still gay<<

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:12 PM

I dont even think they would know if you grinded it down the painted it?

#8 grahama

grahama

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:56 PM

I think it would have passed an mot as it is but after some scraping a patch on top near the mount end is bendable by hand and I suspect not good enough. Will weld a new section in when I learn how, grind back and paint!!

Graham

#9 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:05 PM

The other thing it that once they've started to go then theres not really any stopping em, they rust where you can't see as well.

#10 grahama

grahama

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:10 PM

They have been waxoiled and the undersides look fine, I suspect that they didn't take them off to do anywhere else so the top is the only part going really. A closer inspection will follow when down to a bare shell but hope I can get away with it. I don't think that they have ever been off the car as they have some felt stuff between the frames and the inner arches.

Is this a standard repair of a factory bit??

Graham

#11 MRA

MRA

Previously known as 'mra-minis.co.uk'.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:20 PM

If the weld is strong and of good penetration, then no problem, seam welded panels a must for a strong repair, and the same goes for grinding a weld, this is a no no, as most of the strength of a weld is in the "skin", and any welder will tell you if they have ever done micro structure analysis that welds have micro cracks running through them, these are generally caused as the weld cools down, however the skin has less cracks and hence why grinding them back is very bad :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users