#1 simdhillon

simdhillon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:24 PM

hello, what is the cheapest price i could build a b16 vtec mini for as im on a tight budget

#2 ginger_monkey

ginger_monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:05 PM

sorry mate not as easy as that. Can you weld? Can you make your own frame? Do you have a car already? Do you have big brakes already? Standard or extended front.... the list goes on.

Prices start from say £1800 at a push I'd say

But then the list and price is endless :lol:

#3 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:55 PM

As above mate, too many variables

Have a good read through the Honda build pages here, theres around 6 pages of helpful stuff, it will give you an idea of how much/little you need to make or buy, just remember not everyone updates there build topics with every single little thing as some bits are probably very simple to do but it may be another cost to look out for.......

You'll find everyone thats ventured down this path has the same thought in mind, but the end result is always the same and will never change - it aint cheap, straighforward or easy

#4 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

Let future you worry about it

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts
  • Local Club: urrrr no

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:19 PM

Let's say for instance. All work and fabrication can be carried out at home with all suitable tools and equipment?

Ben

#5 wilp99

wilp99

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Local Club: AME & MINIRYDES

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:38 PM

frame 800 quid (after vat)
shafts 350 quid
control arms 350 quid
donor car 800-1000 quid (cheapest route)
materials 250
exhaust 150
fuel lines 30
mpi/spi tank 50
new clutch 150
brake pipes 20

this alone is around 3150. and you havent even got a new front end, fixed rust, found more rust--fixed it, new manifold (b18c4) relocated things, fabricated this bracket, damn theres a hole in this radiator, damn i need gauges cause the hona ones are ugly but my car is a city and doesent have a dash... so i guess ill neeed one of those, now i have to get my whole brand new heritage clubman front painted, now i need arches, and these tires (im an american) are balled, these brakes suck.. .the list goes on and on. if your on a super tight budget and cant spend atleast 3k pounds to do it right, id supercharge a 1275. dont get me wrong... im glad i went down this road.. but its turning out to be alot more expensive than i thought. i think im lookin at about 5k pounds now. and its not done. its driving though.. stupid fast and worth every penny or pent or pence, or what ever you'd call it.

#6 billyboy83

billyboy83

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Local Club: www.16vminiclub.com

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:57 PM

The cost can add up quite quickly for example doing things like a custom loom's, i spent about £200 just on cable and fuse box's and connectors. just to make my whole install a lot neater and more reliable , plus i wanted to change from mini switches to some think different. But i have seen some people build a vtec mini for less than 2 grand but it all depends on what you have, what you want and what you can do your self.

#7 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

• Traders
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:41 PM

I think it could be done a bit cheaper, but I have never tried so can easily be wrong.

Build your own frame £40 for materials?

engine £300 ebay here

Gearbox - £50

Fibre front - £120

rad, alternator, fan, £130?

Driveshafts - I heard theres a guy on 16vminiforum that will weld the two halfs for £35 each? could be wrong

Wiring - £30?

Then your going to have loads of little bit's like nuts and bolts, washers and pipework etc etc say £100?

Now I know it never goes as simple as that, but I did once speak to Joel Vermiglio, who is known as xe valver on forums.
He built amazing redtop car.

But said doing the work yourself you could put a vtec mini together for under a grand.

It won't be a concourse car for car for that money, but could be possible?

#8 HARBER07

HARBER07

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,498 posts
  • Local Club: Naaa......

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:54 PM

The trouble is its bits like fuel pump, getting the speedo to work with the honda box, bigger battery to churn it over, doing something with the inlet manifold (bulkhead box, different inlet, changing clutch masters etc). Then oil changes - gearbox oil too?, engine mounts, making sure the brakes are capable as thats a MUST!!

Still do-able for sensible money, but its all the little bits people forget about that hike the cost up. Don't forget if you changes inlets etc. it will need to be re-mapped.

#9 billyboy83

billyboy83

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Local Club: www.16vminiclub.com

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:47 PM

I think it could be done a bit cheaper, but I have never tried so can easily be wrong.

engine £300 ebay here

Gearbox - £50

Fibre front - £120

Driveshafts - I heard theres a guy on 16vminiforum that will weld the two halfs for £35 each? could be wrong

Wiring - £30?

Then your going to have loads of little bit's like nuts and bolts, washers and pipework etc etc say £100?

Now I know it never goes as simple as that, but I did once speak to Joel Vermiglio, who is known as xe valver on forums.

But said doing the work yourself you could put a vtec mini together for under a grand.

What about the likes off

ecu, looms, honda shafts to cut up to joing to mini ones, exhuast manifolds exhuast systems. see mate theres plent more to it then what meets the eye lol Trust me been there and done it lol

#10 Bad_Boy_Mini

Bad_Boy_Mini

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:53 PM

engine £300 ebay here

Gearbox - £50

Fibre front - £120

Wiring - £30?

Sorry to P*SS on your bonfire mate but you aint buildin a VTEC for a grand!!! End of story!!! Trust me, I aint even half way through and Iv done twice that already!

#11 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:57 PM

Let's say for instance. All work and fabrication can be carried out at home with all suitable tools and equipment?

This is the problem, not everyone can do everything, but if someone here is that sort of person then I'd say as a bare minimum......

You need a sound clubman, no rust and not falling apart, ready to roll, interior to remain as it is to keep costs down
It needs its brakes and suspension already upgraded, you can run standard mini calipers if you want....
You need a donor car complete and space to break it, trust me, dont start chasing individual parts......
Everything on the donor car is there bar the driveshaft solution, do you really want cut and shut ones?
Electrics, you got the donor car so you got the whole loom, rest is up to you! :D

I've probably missed out a few things.....just like the build, you always find something you missed :X

After the above, make your own frame (easier said than done!) make your own brackets for the alternator and rad, make your bulkhead mods after trial fitment of engine - if your that good then you wont need any ;)

Bolt everything together and test drive :dontgetit:

Under a grand? Yes, of course, no reason why not, but you would need to be able to do everything and I mean EVERYTHING which includes fabrication, welding, electrics etc and getting hold of all materials cheaply? I'm not exactly sure what you would end up with? You'll end up changing a few things after its on the road so a grand goes quickly out the window?

If you cant do everything then stick with tried and tested methods for these conversions, you'll need help aswell - lots of it

If you can then kudos to you and go for it ;)

Good luck

#12 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

• Traders
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:22 PM

What about the likes off

ecu, looms, honda shafts to cut up to joing to mini ones, exhuast manifolds exhuast systems. see mate theres plent more to it then what meets the eye lol Trust me been there and done it lol

I wasn't saying you could, I was just guessing there. I can easily see how it could add up.

Sorry to P*SS on your bonfire mate but you aint buildin a VTEC for a grand!!! End of story!!! Trust me, I aint even half way through and Iv done twice that already!

Again my post may have come across a bit argumentative. I was guessing and clearly I was incorrect.

Im asking people who have finished one here. How much do you think it would cost to do it as cheap as possible, I mean a running car not show quality.
That's being able to build your own frame, all wiring and getting the parts as cheap as possible?

#13 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:36 PM

No matter what the finish product will be if your doing everything yourself then costs aint an issue as you can get your own materials cheap enough if your that good in the first place?

If you cant then your handing it over to someone else to build for you or part build what you cant......wallet time

Going by the above it will cost anything from £400 upwards for an engine conversion, maybe not even that!!! :w00t:

You really can't really put a price on it as the cost depends on what you can do? If you can do it all then peanuts, but who here can? and if they can they will charge you more than peanuts to do one for you :lol:

#14 wilp99

wilp99

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Local Club: AME & MINIRYDES

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:05 AM

its a project. the only way to know is to do it. so... i vote just jump in, and get it done. either way you will be happy with the result. if you dont know how to do "what ever" then try it. if you screw it up.. try again. theres only one way to learn. its not like anyone on this planet is born knowing how vtec works or how to put an engine in a car that it doesent belong to. the problem with most people doing thier own work is they are scared.. "oooh i dont want to mess anything up" or i dont know what im doing, or i'm overwhelmed with the ammount of parts. hell, i know people who take thier cars to garages to have the oil changed... no says i.. give it a try, and you will figure it out. just do it and do it right.

#15 mattista

mattista

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Local Club: looking for a club

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:28 PM

i recon you could do it a make a good job out of it depending on the state of the mini (decent body) for between £5000-£6000

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users