21 replies to this topic

#1 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:42 PM

Im planning on turboing my 7 port with a T2 turbo but am not 100% sure on how to fuel it. I dont just want to dive in and just fit the usuall HIF 44 to a plenumn and get poo results so today I was doin a bit of thinking.
I was thinking af past issues of mini mags and remember seeing Bill Richards racer with bike carbs. Taking it a stage further, I was wondering whether I could modify them to run with a turbo.ie sealing the spindles. If so, how and where could I get this done?

Also, would they be like running webers where I would not be able to adjust the boost of the turbo while in the car? If they are, Ill probably find some throttle bodies off of a bike and seal them up as well.

#2 stevenford_uk

stevenford_uk

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 11:04 PM

i have been planning to do this to my mx5, i was just goin to seal the bell mouth area with an airbox and strap it to the blower, should be ok till you start getting to high boost

#3 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 11:10 PM

I was planning 7-port injection turbo. but it's been put on hold as I've had to rebuild the whole car since my bro crashed it.

Anyway. Don't bother with carbs, fit an injection system. It's the biggest advantage of the 7-port head over the 5. also I think Bill Richards runs injection.

The way we were planning on doing it was using a single butterfly feeding into a plenum, with an injector on each port. Its a simple and effective way to do it.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you can't adjust the boost with webbers. I'd guess it's a fueling issue.

Either way, with a fully mapped injection system it will be easy to adjust the boost in the car, as long as you have a map/system in place to cope with it.

Wil

#4 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 11:28 PM

I never thought of that way Wil. I was going to have 4 individual butter flies but the one you suggested should flow slightly better and it wouldn't be half as complicated.

#5 minimole

minimole

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 11:41 PM

could you not look at something like a tomcat turbo fuel system to get an idea?

#6 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 11:47 PM

Ive really got ot watch the space though. Im pretty sure those tomcats work on the same basis as what Wil just explained.

#7 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 12:49 AM

do it just like that pic you draw, only instead of the hif44 have a throttle body! :( (as said above) so you will have a good layout.

#8 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 07:24 AM

I have a Webber 40 style throttle body complete with injectors and fuel rail , it has sealed bearings so it can be turbo'd or blown
BRAND NEW
never been used
bought for a project that did nt get verry far due to lack of time , I was planning to "megasquirt" it and run a supercharger
Open to offers .

#9 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 06:17 PM

I really want an injector on each port so unfortunatly your weber would suit. If I was doing a 5 port, I would have snapped your hand off :grin:

#10 stevenford_uk

stevenford_uk

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 05:22 PM

get a single big throttle body off a ford mondeo 2.0l or something, then make a manifold with injector for each cylinder and then bung on throttle body and roberts ya mothers brother.

#11 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 07:46 PM

Yeah thats similar to what ed4ran said about my pic on Project Pandora.

#12 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:09 PM

Just had a gander at Ebay and theres some GSXR600 t/bodies. They look perfect for what I need. Only thing Ill need to do to them is seal the spindles. Does anyone know where I can get this done?

#13 wolfie

wolfie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 01:35 PM

i looked at turbo'ing a 7 port about 2 years ago

according to a local motorsport engineers running 1 throttle body is the way to gowhen turbocharging, for some reason running 4 throttle bodys with a butterfly on each port causes drivability problems that cannot be dialed out my the ems, im not sure why the issues were there but this was on an elise running a motec m4 and thats one of the best ems money can buy

try jenvie for a single throttle body the injectors and rails, you will have to put a huge amount of thought into a plenum to get it working right with no pulsing of the charged air

i worked out 2 years ago approx cost would be around 3.5k all in to build a turbo 7 port that may not even work to well, 3.5 k goes along way on a 5 port turbo

#14 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:23 PM

Was that including the price of the head and a new turbo wolfie? m just worrying about the cost of getting it all remaped.

#15 wolfie

wolfie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 06:47 PM

yes mate thats when AKM made them athough i never budgeted for a new turbo, mapping can cost a fortune depending on the ems and operator, i really dont tink turboing a 7 port is something to be done on a budget

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users