• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:14 PM

Austin Morris Mini 1979,
77,000 miles,
MOT till June 2011,
Primed and ready to finish project,
Original Seating, Dash and steering wheel.

I would like a valuation for this mini that was once used as a Noddy car as I am a childrens entertainer that is currently looking for another non-mini project to undertake.

Please view the images and let me know what you think :gimme:

Attached Files

#2 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:27 PM

Is it registered as a convertible?

#3 Minimainiac

Minimainiac

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:05 PM

Is it classed as a convertible if it doesn't have a roof to put up and down? :gimme:

Edited by Minimainiac, 31 August 2010 - 06:05 PM.

#4 noddy1

noddy1

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:13 PM

Is it registered as a convertible?

No on the log book as 2 door saloon

#5 noddy1

noddy1

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:16 PM

Is it classed as a convertible if it doesn't have a roof to put up and down? :gimme:

I am not sure as log book says 2 door saloon and this was like this when I brought it 10 years ago and every year it passes mot!

#6 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:39 PM

Maybe someone wiser than me can tell us if this car should have an SVA/IVA test and if not does it run the risk of being crushed.

#7 Jacko-lah

Jacko-lah

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Local Club: Derbyshire Classic Mini OC

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:50 PM

Maybe someone wiser than me can tell us if this car should have an SVA/IVA test and if not does it run the risk of being crushed.

No. I think that Under the rules that govern modifications, you can beat it on either of 2 counts.

1) It's a points based system and apart from the body everything else is standard. So the points are not too high.

2) It was clearly done before those Rules, although it would help if there was some documentary proof. Like previous owners submissions to insurance companies ? Like photos in the paper ?

In terms of valuation, it's very hard in my oppinion. A very niche market. But lets say I wanted to MAKE one like it. I'd need about 15 hours with a welder and cutting torch and and a few bits of tin, so lets say £1000. (Plus paint, plus the original car, Say £2 - £4K for insurance valuation.

Edited by Jacko-lah, 31 August 2010 - 07:54 PM.

#8 noddy1

noddy1

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:49 AM

No. I think that Under the rules that govern modifications, you can beat it on either of 2 counts.

1) It's a points based system and apart from the body everything else is standard. So the points are not too high.

2) It was clearly done before those Rules, although it would help if there was some documentary proof. Like previous owners submissions to insurance companies ? Like photos in the paper ?

In terms of valuation, it's very hard in my oppinion. A very niche market. But lets say I wanted to MAKE one like it. I'd need about 15 hours with a welder and cutting torch and and a few bits of tin, so lets say £1000. (Plus paint, plus the original car, Say £2 - £4K for insurance valuation.

Thanks for your help I will sell it on here for prob £1000 does that seem ok as it is not finished project and still needs alot of work to complete?

#9 skaterava

skaterava

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:21 PM

I'd say aroud £1300.

I would love to see someone paint it black, fit wide arches with some deep dishers and slap a Vtec in it!

#10 noddy1

noddy1

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:41 PM

I'd say aroud £1300.

I would love to see someone paint it black, fit wide arches with some deep dishers and slap a Vtec in it!

Thanks for your advice I have now placed the mini under classified using your valuation as a guide price :)

#11 skaterava

skaterava

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:10 PM

I'll stick by my valuation, considering the car's age, mileage, and (from the pictures) decent condition. Like Jacko-lah said though, you've gotta find someone who wants a roadster.

#12 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:34 PM

a car failing to be registered correctly won't be crushed it will have it's V5 taken away untill after it's BIVA test

it's lost 5 points for the monocoque that it must keep

it must have the points for the monocoque, this doesn't

rules came out in the late 80's but the car still must be whats on the log book a saloon it is not

#13 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:43 PM

Ohh boy!!

What strengthening has been done to replace the roof?

Have the sills been boxed/reinforced?

I'm looking at those pictures and seeing exactly the type of thing that the IVA/SVA test was intended to keep off our roads.

If anyone thinks they can cut the roof off a mini and do all the work nescessary to make it straight and safe in 15 hours then they are living in a dream world. To do something like this to a safe standard would be a major undertaking.

Personally I wouldn't be touching this with a barge pole.

#14 skaterava

skaterava

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:07 AM

Depends when the roadster conversion was done, really.

#15 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:46 AM

No it doesn't!!

Have a closer look at it, note the:-

- holes at the top of the B pillars.