Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 16 April 2004 - 08:32 PM

hi,

my two front tyres are wearing very badly just on the outside edge of each one, does this sound like the tracking to you?? they are inflated to 28psi, and the inside and middle of each tyre is wearing fine. I would guess at too much toe-in, but not 100% sure?

Also, can i fit 165/70x10's to wheels that are currently running 145x10's?? Is the difference just in the width of the tyre, or the profile too??

Cheers,

tom

#2 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 08:59 PM

a strange one that, tyres normally wear on the inside not the outside.
getting your tracking looked at may solve the problem!
the only thing i can think off is your car is running high at the front end!, but can't think why it would do that.

have you changed anything latelly or hit something?

as for the tyres i've just added 165 to mine, and don't seem to have any probs yet :wales:

#3 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 09:03 PM

The tyres will be a straight swap.

You shouldnt have any toe-in on the front. Look in haynes, it says you should have toe-out (very slight). Dont remember off hand how much.

The wearing u described is caused by positive camber. If you drive your car fast this will happen. I suggest you invest in some 1.5 degree negative camber bottom arms for the front end... Might as well get heavy duty adjustable tie rods and rear adjustable camber brackets while you're at it since many mini shops do offers on such packages.

#4 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 09:54 PM

it didn't do it when i just had my normal steel wheels on.....

mind you the tyres were quite worn on those so i might not have noticed like I have on these brand new tyres.

I'll get the tracking looked at to start with, then try the negative camber bottom arms and tie rods if i doesn't improve. The car has no suspension mods, only Cooper S discs with new ball joints and track rod ends, but the tyres were worn when I had the original drums on. Could worn bottom/top ball joints cause this problem?

#5 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 10:30 PM

If they are both wearing the same. then its probably tracking. Did you have it tracked after you fitted the track rod ends?

145s will be 80 profile as opposed to the 165,s which are 70's

If you have fitted wider rims this will increase the wear rate

Siggy

#6 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 04:41 PM

no i just set it as it was with the drums on, they are both wearing the same, and my initial thought was tracking, so i'll get that looked at i reckon. Luckily theres an AA SC next door to Halfords where I work so should be able to get it done on monday i think.

Just fitted the hubs with spacer drums, was a piece of cake like you said!!

Car looks much better now, just got to spray my Gp2 arches and fit them, then it will be finished.

Oh, and I sorted the oil leak today too, it was the oil filter housing where it meets the block, the gasket I had made was too thin and the pressure had blown it.

Tom

#7 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 06:59 PM

wearing on the outside is normal, i had a set of tyres falken fk-06Gs die in about 2-3 months off ruining them with the tracking off, iv now got a new set, ajustable tie rods and 2 degree bottom arms and iv had no problems at all, its lot quicker out of corners now too!

#8 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 10:26 PM

Tyres should wear evenly unless the alignment is out or you park in tight spots constantly, driving like a looney also wears them out quickly

Siggy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users