10 replies to this topic

#1 kez_19

kez_19

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:44 PM

i am thinking of doing a honda conversion as my next project and i am thinking of the honda engine but as the title says who makes the kits for this i seam to get allspeed, z cars and watsons then several that are abroad anyone know any more that they can recommend and if possiable what are the good vs bad points of each conversion

thanks in advance michael

#2 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:20 PM

i am thinking of doing a honda conversion as my next project and i am thinking of the honda engine but as the title says who makes the kits for this i seam to get allspeed, z cars and watsons then several that are abroad anyone know any more that they can recommend and if possiable what are the good vs bad points of each conversion

thanks in advance michael

Minitec make them too
Watsons - wide offset so rear needs spacing out and wide arches needed, + bigger brakes can be fitted and wider track can improve handling
Allspeed - Mini suspension is retained and mini brakes, + fits under most standard front ends and standard mini track is retained
I don't know much of the z cars frame

#3 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:13 PM

Which Honda engine do you want to use as that will drive your supplier also.

#4 kez_19

kez_19

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:33 PM

well a type r would be nice but they are expensive and hard to get hold of over here but any really i want speed but reliability at the same time (at the moment interested in turbo's or supercharges)

i would like to avoid a fibre glass front end as i dont get on with the stuff i like metal better so that rule out some of the choices

michael

#5 Chris C

Chris C

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:52 PM

What cptkirk meant is the engine series, as in a B, D, K, hell maybe even H. "Type-R" doesn't really mean anything in terms of engine size or what subframe you want to pick. Search on here, as well as 16vminiclub and then begin to draw some conclusions from your research.

#6 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:06 AM

Thanks Chris for explaining that for me.

Maybe someone should make a thread with links to Honda subframe suppliers and ask the Mods to make it a sticky?? No that wasnt me offering to do it, just a suggestion.

#7 kez_19

kez_19

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:50 PM

good idea

#8 J_1275_O

J_1275_O

previously known as Jamie5414

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Local Club: Twingo133.net and AMOC

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:47 PM

If your join the 16v mini club theres some useful info on there mate.

#9 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:19 PM

Who does VTEC conversion subframes :

Seven frames are available, the first three will fit standard round nose

Mini track & Suspension setup & will fit standard round nose

1) Allspeed - www.allspeedengineering.com
2) Ringmini.de www.ringmini.de (LHD due to rack issues)
3) American Frames - Brian Campbell
4) American Frames - S Alexander (LHD only) some details can be found on
......................................... http://www.vtecminis...wforum.php?f=22 under the name Steve
5) American Frames - Minitec http://www.superfastminis.com/

Frames 4 to 7 require lengthen fronts or Clubman front

Mini track & Suspension setup

5) American Frames - Minitec old frame http://www.superfastminis.com/

Metro Track/Brakes & supsension

6) Watsons http://www.watsonsrally.co.uk
7) P&L http://www.plmini.co.uk

Metro Track & mini brakes

8 ) SAE http://www.saeminivtec.co.uk

Work in Progress Frames

AMT No Longer producing frames. Please do not contact them.
Streetfighter (work in progress)
Ask Restorations Vtec frame (work in progress) phone 01955 641450

Below are some details of completed frames:-

1) Allspeed (Mini Brakes/Supsension and track & standard round nose)
2) Ringmini (Mini brakes/supsension and track & standard round nose) LHD only[rack issues]
3) Brian Campbell (Mini Brakes/Supsension and track & Standard round nose)
4) Mintec (mini wheel stud pattern, mini track, mini brakes)
5)Watsons (k series wheels or 100 PCD stud pattern large selection, wider track but better K series suspsension)
6) 6) P & L Minis (k series wheels on front and mini on back? and the engine mounts only allows for certain b16 engines eg. 96 CRX, you need to check with P & L over this before buying your engine/frame)
7) SAE (mini wheel stud pattern/brakes/suspension; if standard inlet used, bulkhead needs cutting, K series track)
8 ) S Alexander (Mini Brakes/Supsension and track & Standard round nose) LHD only[rack issues]

Allspeeds frame, Ringmini, S Alexander and Brian Campbells frame keep the same track. They all fit into LHD standard round nose front, Allspeed will also fit RHD but will require a revised exhaust manifold to fit into standard round nose. There will be issues with the inlet manifold clearance and alternator on both BC and Allspeeds frame. Ringmini & Brian Campbells and S Alexander also has issues with the Diff housing hitting the steering rack for RHD. For standard round nose, you will need custom radiators.

Number 5, 6 & 7 on the list above are based around the k series frame and therefore increase the track of the vehicle. As a result you will have to be careful with wheel selection to ensure they fit under sportspack arches(see other discussions on this point).

The normal rear subframe can be used with any of the above, but spacers(not in the normal sense of spacers) have to be fitted - slightly different depending on 5,6 or 7 above, they are however supplied as part of the kit.

Any other questions please make a separate posting and we will try to help

DarrenW

http://www.16vminicl...read.php?t=2742

#10 wilp99

wilp99

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Local Club: AME & MINIRYDES

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:18 PM

if you want to keep standard round nose, go with minitec frame. i turned mine into a clubman and am running the allspeed frame with a b18c4. less mods reqd. however, it is more expensive. and if you want alot of power, go b18/b16 anything. if you want more power than a turbo a series but 4x the reliability, go d15 or d16 vtec (the wifes estate is in the middle of this conversion)... as stated before go to the 16vminiclub.com, and you will find out all the information you need. but def, go vtec..

#11 kez_19

kez_19

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:26 PM

sorry to drag this back up but i have been without internet for 6 weeks :) and this is the first day back on line and of course the mini forum was my first port of call

thankyou jack jack jack for the info it was incredibly helpful i will be speaking to one of the mods and see if we cant get that made into a sticky somewhere on here

michael

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users