lapider

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Local Club: cardiff mini club

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

hi there
im looking at a kit on minisport that you can use uprate the brakes on any mini past 84 by changing the disks and pads to uprated ones in the kit, the discs are groved and drilled. as there are greenstuff pads included in the kit i have been told that greenstuf pads were good if they are warm but not if they are cold and need a bit of warming up to get up to tempurature for good use.

Questions:
1 Is what i have heard true
2 Are greenstuff pads not appropreate for a daily driver on the basis that they are more track based
3 Are the disks that they include going to be better suited with greenstuff pads than the shandard discs iv got on at the moment

thanks

Edited by lapider, 03 January 2011 - 07:24 PM.

#2 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:35 PM

green stuffs are ******* imo, black stuff or standard pads are much better.

imo std discs and pads are more than enough for a daily drive, thats all mine uses albeit machined smaller.

#3 jmini22

jmini22

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Local Club: no but want to join one

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:56 PM

i have installed the sure stop brake kit from mini sport and for the first month the pad were much better but have more or less the same as standard i can see how they may bee bette under racing conditions heat and what not but not much difference

#4 The_Mistro

The_Mistro

Farmer Barley Mow

• Members
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:03 PM

green stuff are good if you have 8.4 inch discs, for cooper s disc brake set up they dont have enough surface area to get up to temperature, and i found that they worked amazing from the word go, the bedding in compound is fantastic! they prob arent suited for town driving, but if you do a lot of B road driving or A roads then they are good, i would reccomend them!

#5 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

TMFs New official Spamster

• Members
  • 4,393 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield mini club

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:16 PM

ive got greenstuff pads on my sprite cant complain.
even before they'd bedded in they were better than my originals.

#6 billyboy83

billyboy83

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Local Club: www.16vminiclub.com

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:32 PM

I have greenstuff pads in my vtec mini what came with my Kads and i find them total.....rubbish ! takes ages to warm up, My brother has the same brakes but diffrent pads and his brakes are spot on. So they dont get my vote !

#7 Carlzilla

Carlzilla

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:33 PM

Ive got the blackstuff pads, and as you lot say the bedding in compound is awesome.
I convinced craig to swap his greenstuff pads to blackstuff, as they have a much faster reaction time if you havent used the brakes for a decent enough amount of time, near enough instant stopping power.

#8 amarcd

amarcd

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

I have the grooved drilled discs with greenstuff pads and imo they are much better, but im in the iom with a no speed limit mountin to play on and they work great coming down there, but they are nice and warm then!

#9 DAVEY_C

DAVEY_C

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Local Club: irish minis owner club

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:54 PM

i had greenstuf pads on my pulsar gtir and found them rubbish.... after some question i found that they are basicaly the same as standard but it takes them longer to warmup.... untill they have warmed up i found they are quite inaffective which imo makes them rubbish....

#10 rosco454

rosco454

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

I think green stuff are awful pads,the first set I tried were so bad that I put a another set in a different car to see that it wasnt just a dodgy set and they were both terrible.

Cheers Ross.

#11 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:35 PM

imo std discs and pads are more than enough for a daily drive, thats all mine uses albeit machined smaller.

:) I agree.

Total rubbish, mintex 1144's are much better, work great from cold, but can handle more spirited driving

#12 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:40 PM

I've never found the need for anything other than standard disks and mintex pads on a road car, what ever size of disk I'm running, or engine for that matter... but I have driven a mini with 'greens' on and once warm they are good, it's just getting them warm which is the problem... no point having brakes which are good when they are warm, and crap when they are cold... as they will always be cold before they are warm !

#13 designermatt

designermatt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:50 PM

:) I agree.

Total rubbish, mintex 1144's are much better, work great from cold, but can handle more spirited driving

im thinking alot about using some better brake pads, specifically either the greenstuff pads or mintex m1144's for 8.4 disks

my mini is used everyday so i will need a brake pad that can be okay to use on normal journeys, but i also will be doing some trackdays this year, my question is whats a better trackday pad greenstuff or m1144's ?

has anyone been on track with either greenstuff or m1144's?

#14 designermatt

designermatt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:52 PM

anybody there ?

#15 designermatt

designermatt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:08 PM

used the search function and found a few threads saying different things about greenstuff and m1144s, basically some people dislike greenstuff and some people really like them , however the general consensus for the mintex M1144's is that they are very good pads , that work like standards from cold but are much more fade resistant.

and i think the m1144's would be a little bit better fade resistant than greenstuff, i am probably going to try m1144's for m first trackday and see how they are and i will review the pads.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users