32 replies to this topic

#1 OllieTheWelder

OllieTheWelder

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:10 PM

I just got a 1988 Austin Mini Mayfair that is structurally great but has a been painted terribly. I was wondering what it would cost for a respray? I would be willing to strip it down if needed.

Thanks, Ollie.

#2 kenzie22

kenzie22

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:13 PM

do a search there has been many of these types of threads :) but long story short, do the prep and you'll save a bomb :D

#3 danrock101

danrock101

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:17 PM

if you have to ask you can't afford it :D

nah they usually into 4 figures for a good job, tis why I'm going to do mine myself

#4 OllieTheWelder

OllieTheWelder

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:26 PM

if you have to ask you can't afford it :D

nah they usually into 4 figures for a good job, tis why I'm going to do mine myself

Ok much more than I expected!

#5 grumpy2

grumpy2

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Local Club: Wirral Minis

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:35 PM

with paint you generally get what you pay for. I had an MGB 'blown over' for £600, car was stripped and any body work needed was repaired and primed by me. Finished car was very presentable. I had another MGB that was just a shell at the time, prepped, flatted, blocked and painted. Looked fantastic but cost £2500!!

G

#6 grumpy2

grumpy2

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Local Club: Wirral Minis

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:36 PM

with paint you generally get what you pay for. I had an MGB 'blown over' for £600, car was stripped and any body work needed was repaired and primed by me. Finished car was very presentable. I had another MGB that was just a shell at the time, prepped, flatted, blocked and painted. Looked fantastic but cost £2500!!

G

Oh and I've painted 3 cars, really enjoyed it but results no where near as good as a pro job and lots and lots of mess. cost about £250 in each case

G

#7 ross k

ross k

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:49 PM

just had my mini sprayed exterior and shuts that cost me 800 then my mate did about half the prep for 400 but my mates a fully trained mechanic so cost me 1200 quid but they said would be 1500 to anyone else and it was stripped down and was rubbed down but needed the fillering done when they took it thanks ross

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:50 PM

Just had a very professional paint job done on Grandson's MPI on which we had done all the new panel fitting, welding and basic priming. My paintshop man finally prepped it using hi-build primer, then painted it dark green metallic with light silver roof. Looks fantastic and cost just over £1200 including paint. It took 50 hours to finish and paint, so the labourr ate was low (I do build some engines for the chap and do him a good deal too).

#9 thehelstonian

thehelstonian

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Clan

you get what you pay for

#10 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Mine was £1400 with welding to sills, boot floor and rear valance.

#11 madmike

madmike

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:37 PM

i got my paint job for £450, but it helps if you know someone in the job. dont forget to shop around.

Edited by madmike, 05 January 2011 - 12:38 PM.

#12 ministar

ministar

you ate the whole wheel of cheese?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:54 PM

you get what you pay for

Very usually the case. But there are of course good/bad stories relating to paint.

#13 Mini Mad Drakeley

Mini Mad Drakeley

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Local Club: south down mini owners club

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:57 PM

jesus christ!! this thread helpas me aswell and if a spray job costs over 1000 im doin it myself ffs!!

#14 haggz

haggz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

i have read all the other comments and i agree that between 1000 - 1500 would get you a good paint job. i was fortunate to know someone in the trade who was willing to spray my mini as long as it was striped. his origanal price was £350, i supplied paint, but once work started he had numerous issues with dents/primer cracking etc. in the end i paid him £500 as he had spent so much time working on the car. its not rolls royce perfect but who cares.
the garage next door said that to carry out the work they would have started the quote at £1400 as they have done minis before and know they end up welding and changing panels.

#15 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

Your paying for skilled labour. A proper paintjob with proper prep takes days of sanding and finishing.

Really expensive paintjobs would include colour sanding afterwards aswell to get the ultimate finish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users