3 replies to this topic

#1 dan__wright

dan__wright

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 01:53 PM

OK, fitted a HIF 44 onto kats mini yesterday, setting it up but it was all over the place would run fine then rev high then almost die while no changes were being made.

we removed the crank breaker > carb pipe and blocked it off at the carb, loads better but still wasnt rite.

she has a vacume that runs from the carb to an extra bit on the thermostat housing for the heater takeoff, which has another connection, this has a t piece, one end goes to the condensor, and the other disapears into the wing, along with a hose that was also connected to the same hose as the breathers, any ideas what they go to, if there needed etc?

i removed the vacume from carb and condensor and connected them directly, almost fine now.

the other strange thing is when driving it doesnt have that much go when you put your foot down, but if you pull the choke out it flies, even though we have adjusted the mixture and have tried making it rich, any ideas?

#2 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 02:53 PM

what age is the mini because mine is a Kreg and it has a carbon filter in the passenger wing for the breathers and stuff. That might where they are going.

Mine does the exact same thing with the choke. It seems to die when i floor it but if i pull the choke out a bit then it seems to be fine? I reckon it is just because it is running a bit lean?

Edit: insert commas and feel free to breath while you read my post LOL

#3 dan__wright

dan__wright

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 02:59 PM

its m reg and i has go something in the wing, put it looks like its bin set up woong as it goes beathers and hose from that > carb, shouldnt it go breathers > pot > carb.

also, trust me it ent running lean, weve tried putting it as rich as it will go, could it the the high idle or what eva its called?

#4 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 04:39 PM

The vacuum valve in the thermostat housing is part of the charcoal canister system which is nothing to do with the engine breathers. It collects fuel vapour from the fuel tank and carb when the car is idle and stores it until it can be used up. It is part of the emmisions equipment and it is required. I did a big post on here a while ago about the system and how it should be setup with some crappy diagrams and stuff, search the site for charcoal canister and you'll find the one.

If it dies when you floor it despite being in good tune otherwise then it's probably because the carb piston isn't reacting properly. It's either reacting too slowly making the car lean or too fast making it rich. You need to find out which it is and change the grade of oil in the dashpot to compensate or change the piston spring grade or both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users