Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 26 December 2005 - 06:17 PM

No you want this one... Clicky

Personally I use Halfords 10/40 Mineral oil.. never had a problem with it..

#17 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 06:18 PM

ah cheers man, i'll go order that then. at lest i final know were all my petrol was going.

#18 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 26 December 2005 - 11:52 PM

Seem to remember that you were having a fuel consumption problem back in November :wub:

An easy check to see if there is large quantaties of fuel in the oil, take the dipstick still with the oil on the end and try to light it with a lighter( make sure you are a good distance from the car) If it burns quite easily and for a good length of time, then there is fuel in the oil and the fuel pump is leaking.

#19 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 12:41 PM

well i think it has to be were it's all going. i replaced the fuel lines. the tank dosen't leek. but i'll still try lighting the oil on fire later tho.

cheers for all the help guys.

#20 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 04:01 PM

I told you to check for this ages ago, when you first said you were loosing fuel and asked how to replace the fuel lines. I'm not saying 'I told you so' or anything but you've been really foolish and gambling with your life. Gearboxes full of petrol EXPLODE. Really, really, please don't drive your car or even start it again until this is fixed.

#21 mini_me

mini_me

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 05:06 PM

Yeah i had a problem with my mini turbo setup, the needle jammed open and emptied my fuel tank in minutes. There was a slight BANG envolved to! Oil and petrol and a spark is a bad combo, takes ages to put out to! Plus the expense of a new box, wiring and replacing the offside wing. Very messy! :sad:

#22 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 10:15 PM

I told you to check for this ages ago, when you first said you were loosing fuel and asked how to replace the fuel lines.  I'm not saying  'I told you so' or anything but you've been really foolish and gambling with your life.  Gearboxes full of petrol EXPLODE.  Really, really, please don't drive your car or even start it again until this is fixed.

no no, your totaly right. i bow to your (and everyone elses) mini exspertise. i was a berk.....again. but i stopped driving the car as soon as i could smell it. so yeah car's sitting in the drive rather unhappy about not being drivinen. i wanted to drive in the snow too. bugger.

seeming as i an going to change the pump now (and fit an air horn because i couldn't resist it) any tips for changing the pump. like what size the bolts/nuts are and anything i can exspect to find. i know i have to clean the area up to stop C**p going into the hole but what else.

also how sould i make sure i get all the old oil/petrol/bomb mix out. i was thinking change pump, empty oil, new oil in, run the engine for a biit 15-20 mins, then change the oil again.

good idea / bad idea

cheers.

#23 mini_me

mini_me

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 07:09 PM

Think they're 14mm not sure, only time i have come into contact with the mechanical pump is taking it off and fitting an electric one. IMO clamp off the fuel inlet hose clean the area surrounding the pump, remove pump, make sure the face is clean too. Drop the oil already in the box. The petrol should really have thinned down the oil if theres abit plus it'll help flush any cr*p out. Allow the box to vent its self off for abit, to get rid of any fumes. I would personally re-fill with clean oil. Run till normal operating temp, then drop the oil. Allow to drain properly. Then re-fill. Don't forget to change your oil filter too. This is what iv jus done on a friends. He had a similar problem to me but it didn't end up as bad.

Hope this helps. :grin:

#24 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 07:13 PM

cheers. i orded a new filter with some other bits. might even be getting them tommrow. although i recond not till friday. anyway i'll see.

cheers again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users