40 replies to this topic

#1 carts60

carts60

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:12 PM

I'v had a sump guard lying around for some time, and after my uni exams finish, im going to attempt to fit it.

The only fixings i have for it are 4 or 5 rubber bushes and a similar number of nuts and bolts.

I'm guessing i need to drill the subframe or something, but before i go and frankenstein it all together, i thought i'd be better to check if anybody else knew how to do it first.

Thanks guys :D

#2 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:50 PM

To be any use - it needs to be bolted up SOLID to the subby. I always used to trap a layer of rubber conveyor belting between the guard and the gearbox casing. Be sure to also fit the rear extension to protect the gearchange and the front section of the exhaust... You will also need an oil cooler since the sump won't have the benefit of all that nice cooling airflow.............

#3 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:54 PM

What sump gaurd is it? an alloy type one or an RAC durile (rounded front) type

quite simple tho, car on axle stands, offer up the gaurd, mark, drill and fit.

also i wouldnt fit an oil cooler unless you have an oil temperature gauge fitted so you can tell if its warrented or not

#4 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,699 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:57 PM

If you shield the sump with a decent guard - it WILL need an oil cooler...... Assuming this a hard-driven rally car of course - why else would you want a sump guard ??

#5 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:00 PM

for looks, as you will find most sump gaurds are sold for...and id prefer to make sure i dont over cool the oil in anycase...wheres the harm in that?

Edited by mini93, 24 January 2011 - 10:00 PM.

#6 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,699 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:01 PM

Good grief....... :D

#7 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:03 PM

go on... its why i asked what sump gaurd he has, i certainly wouldne be fitting an alloy sump gaurd to my car with the intention on using it in rallying...you cant assume stuff ya know...stuff goes wrong :D

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:27 PM

Most of the competitive 60's and 70's Minis used alloy sledge-type sump guards except on events like the Acropolis and RAC when the all-steel "Scottish" guard was used. The problem is not the actual strength of the aluminium, but the abrasion from rocks against the guard on really rough gravel events. There was a magnesium guard which the 'works' used, but it was seriously expensive for private owners.
An oil cooler is really a 'must' with any proper sumpguard, especially if a layer of foam or similar is fitted between the sump & gearbox casing.
The loss of cooling airflow when a guard is fitted is substantial. I've never had a rally Mini without both a sump guard and an oil cooler and even my 998 Cooper back in the 60's needed a 10-row cooler to prevent rapid loss of oil pressure. I use an very special alloy sump guard and have done (and won) some seriously rough historic events. Mine is an all alloy welded guard made by a gent named Tom Seal as a prototype which turned out to be too expensive for production as it was over-engineered. It can be picked up with one hand and is very very strong. A 13-row Mocal cooler is fitted behind the grille and, believe me, it is most necessary.

#9 tadleysimon

tadleysimon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Local Club: basingstoke mini club

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:28 PM

90% of the time you dont need an oil cooler and if you did fit one it would do more harm than good,

if your fitting a sump gaur because you intend to use it, then its probaly right to assume you have a fire breathing rally spec engine, in witch case yes, oil cooler is a good idea,

if your fitting one because it looks pretty, then theres no need.

proper job

#10 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:32 PM

its all very well going on about what you have done on your own car, but it still depends on the gaurd fitted and the use of the car that the OP has...no point assuming, oil isnt going to get as much abuse on a normal car totting around town, not much cooling will be happening at slow speed anyway
of course a way of getting round the whole oil temperature thing is to fit the oil thermostat, good idea for a car used in a range of situations

#11 Timtom

Timtom

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:33 PM

how likely is it to crack the sump? My car on 10s has the hilos at the top and it still scrapes on the floor and probably the engine down some country roads i've been on.

#12 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:38 PM

90% of the time you dont need an oil cooler and if you did fit one it would do more harm than good,

if your fitting a sump gaur because you intend to use it, then its probaly right to assume you have a fire breathing rally spec engine, in witch case yes, oil cooler is a good idea,

if your fitting one because it looks pretty, then theres no need.

proper job

Sorry to disagree, but I once cruised a 998 Cooper with an absolutely standard engine up the M1 on a warm Summer evening just after fitting a long sledge-type guard . The oil pressure dropped to 30 psi at 4000 rpm and the oil pressure light came on at tickover. After that I would never fit a long guard without at least a 10-row cooler. It had 2 Lucas SLR700 spotlights in front of the grille which didn't help, but then so do many Minis have extra lights.
Others can do as they please and if their oil pressure drops it's just the oil getting too hot with consequential probable bearing wear.

#13 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:38 PM

What’s wrong with fitting a more open style of sump guard? Best of both worlds, protects the sump, but still allows some degree of cooling.

Posted Image

#14 minispaniard

minispaniard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club, CMC.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:42 PM

I'm following this thread as I recently bought a sumpguard like the one mini25 mentions but it's not yet fitted...

#15 mk3cortina

mk3cortina

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:43 PM

i have one of those guards pictured if anyones interested in it? think its an original innocenti one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users