#1 docsee

docsee

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 01:40 PM

Hi to all and Merry Xmas

Thanks to all for the advice given in response to my first posting just before xmas.

The car's had it's head skimmed, new gaskets and a lot of cleaning off the old and putting back together the new.

The problem i'm having now is when i accelerate it feels and is a bit "Boggy".
I'm sure you all know what i mean saying this.

It thinks about going but stutters until the revs are upto about 2800 before it takes off as normal.
I've done the usual wd-40 all over the gasketts at idle when it's warmed up to check for leaks. (none apparent)
Dashpot has enough oil in it.
Radiator's not losing any water and doesn't have any bubbles in it.
HT leads are new as are plugs, dizzy cap and rotor arm.
I've a feeling it's the mixture settings.
I only say this due to the head being skimmed and maybe, i imagine it having slightly more compression and ofcourse being propperly sealed now incomparrison to running it with my last head gaskett on it's way out.
I've used the old strobe and checked the timing setting it at 15 BTDC but when i lean the mixture screw on the carb off the revs picked up from 950 to 2100!!! (bear in mind the idle screw was completely retarded at this point)
I've managed to rejig my cables for choke and throttle which has helped a lot and i can now bring into play the idle screw but i'm still finding it "Boggy" on pick up.

Too much turkey and not enough mini makes me a dull boy.

Help

lol

#2 dan__wright

dan__wright

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 02:06 PM

it it pick up after a few K revs it sounds like timing is too advanced.

#3 docsee

docsee

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 02:10 PM

Cheers Dan

Am i right in thinking that my timing (1275 1990 Cooper) should be set at 15 BTDC?

I am only going on the settings in the Haynes manual and don't know of any other figures to follow.

Thanx

#4 dan__wright

dan__wright

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 03:06 PM

not sure of the top of my head, that will be manufactures recomnedations but if youve got mods you may be better having it slightly different, best bet would be get it on the rollers and get them to do it.

#5 minimanshane

minimanshane

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 03:36 PM

if your car is injection it sounds as though you need a power boost valve basicly its not getting enough petrol.
My brother had this problem with his gsi corsa. Splutter but when reved out it went ok.

#6 docsee

docsee

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 05:51 PM

Thanx again Dan,

I'm pretty sure after just being out for the last couple of hours in it, drive for 2 miles, stop, adjust richness screw on the carb and idle screw accordingly that it's just the mixture and nothing else. (he says touching wood) lol

The lag has nearly gone now on pick up and continues to rev/pull well across the range.

Time i think indeed for the rolling road to sort out the emission levels and FINE tune it.

Santa didn't bring me an emission tester or a rolling road!

Bah Humbug

lol

Cheers

#7 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 28 December 2005 - 05:58 PM

Am i right in thinking that my timing (1275 1990 Cooper) should be set at 15 BTDC?

How much :saywhat: :)

5 is more like it :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users