Fish Lord

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:42 PM

Hi Everyone,

We all know the situation....

Mini is in the garage and will be there for some months/years?? while it is being worked on .

You gradually get rid of the old paint and rust while time and money dictates your progress.

My question is what do you cover the bare metal with while you are working on another part of the car?

Primer is hygroscopic and will absorb moisture (and most garages get damp in the long winter months) during the time it takes for the car to be painted properly, but then again fully painting the prepared area isn't a good idea as it may be damaged or fade in the time that it takes for the rest of the car to be ready!

So what do you do???

What soulutions have the rest of you come up with to protect the now rust free metal from further corrosion during the restoration? Is there a magic coating that protects but is easy to remove again when the time comes for the final respray?

Cheers

Bern

#2 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 29 December 2005 - 02:17 PM

acid etch it primer it and give it a light top coat (this will work as a guide coat later)

dave

#3 kada1980

kada1980

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 04:46 PM

Oil it, the car will need degreasing before any painting is done anyway.

#4 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 30 December 2005 - 02:34 AM

Oil it, the car will need degreasing before any painting is done anyway.

I would never consider putting oil on the bare body work it will collect the dirt and is also too much of an area for error when repianting if you want a good finish, unless you get it vapour degreased :nugget: Etch primer is the way to go :cheese: All depends how much extra work you want to give yourself.

#5 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:53 AM

I have stripped cars one section at a time and applied primer to the de-rusted bodywork until I was ready to apply a high-build top primer and top coat. I live in a very humid region and found the etch primer followed by a light coat of high-build did a more than adequate job of protecting the bodywork. However, if you anticipate your project going on longer than a single year, you may want to consider using epoxy primer instead of etch. I have friends who have body shells that were stripped a decade ago (literally) and primed them in epoxy without any evidence of rust all these years later. Epoxy costs more but it will not allow moisture through. Make sure whichever primer you choose that you select one that is 100% compatible with the top coat you plan on applying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users