15 replies to this topic

#1 Ethro

Ethro

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:29 PM

ok, had my mini since a week before xmas and my perents already want rid, and i love it to bits, its because of these rust patches...which of these are a 'hazzard'. I do intend to plate and weld all up just i need to know if any are structural and what not

1. The seatbelt mounting box thingy...just behind the front seats the box thing that u can store things in...

2. The bits under the windscreen, on top of the dash in the corners, its on just rusty with a hole the size of a 5p peice on the passanger side

3. Passanger side again below the dash this time in the corner, like right int eh back of the dash, a reasonale hole there, and quite rusty so i would probs chop a fair bit out to plate up. This also might have to be plated on the other side it hink, as i have yet to take the wheel off.

4. My floors are rusty but not holed, as i have given a good prod(hammer) and they are solid, i just dont know weather its worth cutting them out or not???

#2 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:46 PM

1. I dont no what u mean by this?

2. I had the same thing, but mine got through the MOT absolutely fine, and ive had the car a year and it hasnt got any worse.

3. Dont think this is structural.

4. floor shouldnt be a problem, although if you can it might be a good idea to replace them as a matter of course. If i could afford it id change panels the moment a trace of rust appeared.

If thats all the rest uve got, ur doin good! :)

#3 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:49 PM

urm the one nr the seatbelt is a problem

mail me some pics and i will give u my option

dave

[email protected]

#4 Ethro

Ethro

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:01 PM

mailed

#5 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:48 AM

Basically, when assessing a vehicle for MOT compliance:

If there is any corrosion within 30cm of a mounting point for any steering, suspension, braking, safety belt or seat mount it will need examining further. By the sounds of it, the rear bin one may be an issue because it sounds like it is near to the seatbelt mount and possibly the rear subframe front bolts. :cry:

Anyway, back to topic, if you could post up some piccies, we can all have a look for ya (don't be embarrassed by a little rust either, everyone's mini has a little bit) :wink:

Edited by mini mad me, 30 December 2005 - 09:49 AM.

#6 Ethro

Ethro

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:13 AM

sorry about the size...it is JUST over 12inches(30cm) the hole, but the other bits are within the limit....and when VOSA checked it they said it was ok, but when my local garage checked it they said it wasnt and was a deathtrap... :cry:

Attached Files

• Attached File  mmm.JPG   63.11K   18 downloads

#7 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:14 AM

Ok, so that looks like the drivers side rear floor/rear bin yeah? Am I right?

#8 Ethro

Ethro

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:14 AM

yep....

#9 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:17 AM

cool, so basically that 30cm thing comes into play there, the rust is within 30cms of both the rear subframe front mounting bolts and the drivers side seatbelt mount. I would say that deffo needs repair work. The fact of the matter is that is probably reasonably secure as it is, but it would still fail a test IMHO.

#10 Ethro

Ethro

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:20 AM

i thought it should fail, with my limated knolage i can see it is close to the underside running gear and too close for comfort for my seatbelt mounting.

I forgot to say, its the same both sides...:cry: Do you know if you can buy these bin panels, becuase it would be much easier to cut the wholt lot out and put a new one in rather then patch it up IMO

#11 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:30 AM

been browsing the net for them!

left

right

Minispares also do a full floor panel for each side, it really does make the job easier, unless you are happy fettling little pieces of sheet metal? lol

#12 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:32 AM

The main benefit you will have by cutting out the rear bins and replacing them with new ones, is that while they are out you can do a decent job of making the floor good around them. :wink:

#13 Ethro

Ethro

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:33 AM

lol, and i was looking on the dreaded minisport for them....*sigh* they never have anything good there, i shouldd stop going on it...

thanks dude, ill price it all up the cost of the repairs to the car now, becuase it might go through thee roof, since its a nice car to begin with and he lied about his description(its got 100% no rust and filler free..YEH RITE) so i paid more then i should., i paid for what he said it was. and sicne i only work on tescos checkout9£250 a month) i aint exactly rich, and i dont know what else is up with it yet, so someone might be getting a nice project on here :cry: lol if ya get my drift

#14 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:37 AM

don't give up on her just yet! It doesn't necessarily have to be a full on repair job, it could be plated in that area which would make it alot cheaper.

#15 Ethro

Ethro

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:42 AM

lol its not me whos given up, its the mother :cry: she gave up right from the start...she realyl doesnt want me having a mini. Ive fallen in love with it and i am doing my best to save her lol my mate is an aprentice welder/panal beater so he said he would weld anything for me and ill just pay for material costs. So thats going to be cheaper then getting a bloke to do it(since i am appauling at welding).

Anyway, enough of the life storys, they are depressing lol
Thanks for all your help guys, its helped somehow in persuading the mother lol :huh: :cry:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users