16 replies to this topic

#1 Jules

Jules

3 Gold Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 02:55 PM

The other weekend driving home in the night had the heaters on but sometimes I have to have the windows open because it starts to steam up, its quite annoying because it fecking freezing, but the other night was ridculous, everytime i went round a corner the whole window would suddenly steam up instantly, my boyfriend reackons he heard a little hissing noise as the window steamed up. Haven't driven the car since then so I dont know if its still doing it. and I cant go round with the windows open because it was freezing. also inside the car was quite wet (I had wet feet, yes I didn't have my shoes on but they were still soggy socks) would this be connected to my heater problem, or was that due to the fact that the rain was horizontal. Ive had a second hand radiator recently fiited because my other broke, i know that the heating thing is connected somehow to the radiator, but I know nothing!! :erm:

#2 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 22 April 2004 - 03:15 PM

Thats very odd, check ya heater matrix (if minis have them) somet might have packed up there, as for the damp its goptta be related.... try sticking one of those big silica gel de condensating gizmos in the car whilst ur not using it or else it will start to smell damp.

#3 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 03:48 PM

Are you using any water?

Siggy

#4 Jules

Jules

3 Gold Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 03:54 PM

well the new radiator had been in bout two, three weeks and I would check it everytime i drove it, but the water level would never go down, then the sat nite the windows would suddenly steam up when I went round the corner, when I felt underneath, where the heater controls are it was wet and dirty. But it was dark and 1 in the morning, so I didn't check, then the next day everyone was in a mad rush because I was moving to uni that day so I didn't check, and I haven't seen her since, I could have my dad to check for me tho..

#5 Jules

Jules

3 Gold Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 03:55 PM

i'l have to keep the windows open to stop the inside from going damp as well!!

#6 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 22 April 2004 - 05:25 PM

Take your carpets out and let them dry off for a few days or they'll start to smell and help in the process of the floors rotting.

You'll probly find its either a leaky window or small hole in the car somewere or door seal thats letting the water in and because your carpets are wet, they steam the windows up all the time.

Or it could be one of the two heater hoses arent quite tight enuf on the heater, they tend to drip a bit when the hoses start perrishing. Also sometimes the pipe that goes into the heater matrix can crack and leak from there.

#7 Jules

Jules

3 Gold Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 05:40 PM

Well the window was put in by us and we didn't cut the window seal and it definately doesn't leak, there is no rust in my baby now it was all cut out and welded back together, but your right there could still be a hole, its probably something that has cracked and broken and leaky, the windows slowly mist up, but when I go round corners it sudenly steams up like when you brethe on a cold window and it suddenly steams up, its like that but the whole of it over the drivers side so you literally cant see anything out through the window!!

#8 lostininglewood

lostininglewood

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 06:48 PM

could be related but not sure.

on all the cars I've owend they have come with two buttons in the controls;

1. circulating the air internally and
2. ciruclating external air into the car

when it rains if you have button 1 pushed then the windows fog up something nasty, as it's keeping moisture in the vehicle.

the thing I've noticed about my mini is that it's lacking this, and all it has is a hose running from the heater to the sill on the passenger side for fresh air.

you've noted that when the windows are open it stops the fogging as fresh air is being circulated into the car.

you should check to make sure that this is properly connected and that your heater isn't clogged anywhere, as in air passages, etc.

I'm not an expert at this, as my ultimate solution was to rip my heater out, as I don't drive it in the winter, and don't plan on driving it in the rain, as it's allergic. lol.

best of luck. :)

#9 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 07:13 PM

try not breathing so hard when driving your mini, just because you :) it :) :) :)

on a serious note! have a look at the heater hose coming into the car for shaffing of the pipe, where it comes into the car, you might have a small hole that only leaks when the car gets hot enough, plus as lostininglewood said "check the inlet hose for the heater to see if it hasn't came apart under the right hand wing somewhere......

p.s. hows uni going ???? :grin: :wales:

#10 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 09:36 PM

if its wet under the heater, it sounds like your heater core is leaking, theres aren't the most robust of cores, so its not unusual.

what i'd do to be sure is start your car up, or just go for a drive, go for at least five mins, so your car is up to a normal temp, the water system on your car will be pressurised now. park up , leave the engine running with the heater on hot, get down on your knees and have a good look at your heater.
you should be able to tell pretty quickly if its one of the pipes going to the heater, thats leaking......if these pipes are dry, put the heater flap onto the car setting (not the screen setting), and poke your fingers in the hole where the hot air comes out, if its wet in there, the heater core is leaking.

if your not loosing much water, the chances are the leak is small, so it would be easy to fix in the short term, stick a bottle of radweld in the radiator, and let it do its stuff, this will last a good few months. in the long term your going to have to change the heater core, i think new ones are quite dear, so it may be easier to change the whole heater assy with one from a scrappy/mini show.

#11 roberts

roberts

Optimise Automotive

• Traders
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:32 PM

pal...steamed up windows usually means stop getting naught wiv the misses in the car :)

#12 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:39 PM

The fact that it steams up after cournering, indictes that there is water being held in a seam or panel then leaking out as you turn, does it make a difference weather its left or right hand bends?

When I get back from Amsterdam I will write directions on how to find leaks

Siggy

#13 roberts

roberts

Optimise Automotive

• Traders
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:46 PM

blimy!

this site is rude!

one lad has a steamed up window......another is off to amsterdam :)

my mini steams up........but thats because its a mini.........the heating is *******!

#14 Jules

Jules

3 Gold Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 03:38 AM

pal...steamed up windows usually means stop getting naught wiv the misses in the car :)

Hey I aint getting steamy in a car with no girl thank you!!!! :)

And siggy It instantly steams up when I go right, Eg when im going on the last exit of a roundabout etc!!

But thanks guys for the info, see if I can pop back to my parents this weekend to she what she up to. :wink:

Hey Buzz (cowboy) unis going well, having some late late nites at the mo and drinkin stupid amounts of vodka, went to a huge gay night club tonite, well it was an experience, put it this way, I'l try not to smile at to many girls next time I go to one they seem to get the wrong impression!!! :cheese:

#15 Jules

Jules

3 Gold Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 11:57 PM

well went down to see my mini this weekend, shes dried out lovely! the water had gone down by bout a pint of water. Is this alot? because the weather has been nice haven't put the heaters on, but iv just kept them turned off completly and haven't had any leaks. If a pint is alot of water does this mean that I need a new heater core because it is a big leak, how much are these second hand, plus how do I know it wont do the same as the one I got now, ie what do I look for? sorry guys but Im still learning? :erm:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users