#1 DavesBluey

DavesBluey

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 30 December 2005 - 01:40 PM

Was on my way to work this morning in the sleet, going down the dual carriage way, then for no reason at all the car starts coughing and spluttering. I dropped it down into 3rd and it still kept slowing itself down, felt like some sort of blockage. Finally made it to traffic lights, what happened - stalled and wouldn't start!! Pushed it onto verge and called the AA, 10 mins later he turned up, put jump leads accross it and it started fine, the he sprayed it with loads of damp start. Drove on to work after that with no problems!

Do you think it was just the damp or something much worse? Anyone else had this problem?

#2 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 30 December 2005 - 01:48 PM

Minis do HATE the damp! It could have been damp in the distributor cap, that is a common problem with Minis. Really the AA man should have told you what the problem was so you could do something about rectifying it.

#3 DavesBluey

DavesBluey

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 01:54 PM

I did try wiping the cap out but by this time the battery was already flat from trying to start it! Don't know if the AA man actually knew what it was because it started no problem once he put leads across the battery?

#4 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 01:57 PM

Minis don't have to hate the damp. I've had them in the past where I've never had a problem with damp at all.

Make sure you buy the best quality components you can afford, ie decent set of leads, genuine Lucas dizzy cap, points etc. Some of the after market ones are not of the same quality.

If you're not running a rain shield on the front of the engine, it might be worth getting hold of one or just put some clear perspex behind the grill. If it does it again, only use WD40 in moderation as it can also cause problems if used in excess. You said the AA man used some Damp Start .... that's a better option than WD40.

#5 THedooBZ

THedooBZ

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 02:04 PM

might sound stupid but u havent ran out of petrol or anything daft??????

#6 THedooBZ

THedooBZ

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 02:05 PM

soory must read previous posts properly, AA man got it going

#7 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:08 PM

Change the leads and make sure the splash gaurd is fitted. Same thing happened to me on the way back from Minisport RR, engine stopped at the slip road, wouldnt start, battery was duff, ended up getting the RAC out to find the main coil HT lead shorting to a cable tie holding the wiring loomb underneath the bonnet slam panel of all things :cry: I had left the splash gaurd off for the RR tune and it started to rain on the way back. Spayed with duck oil to get me home, went straight to the suppliers and got new leads and refitted the splash guard. Never happened again :huh:

Incidently the engine was doing 78bhp at the flywheel with no problems, then 25 min later, broke down on the motorway with a flat battery and water in the electrics :nugget:

#8 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:26 PM

My car keeps doing a simiar thing but never stalls but it does it in the dry the same as the wet, i think its to due with carb icing but i just think its because somthing is wrong with carb.

#9 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 05:44 PM

try the old marigold trick, get a marigold washing up rubber glove.. cut off the tips of the fingers and thumbs and thread one ht lead through each of the fingers (dont forget the one for the coil). then simplyput the glove over the dizzy, covering it from the wet and damp. to be extra sure, try using electrical tape to seal the gaps on each finger.

#10 DavesBluey

DavesBluey

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:07 PM

My brother in law has got a spare splash guard might have to nab it. Actually i if i get the guard, i have the sticky-out bits on the rocker cover but no clips or bolts to hold it on, anyone know wher i can get some? Or what else i can use to fi it on?
I might try changing the leds as well, having a bit of trouble starting in in all this dodgy weather.

#11 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:40 PM

I cant push it enough

good ht leads 8mm silcon items from bosch or chapion, lucas cap and a lucas coil, a rain sheild and you should not have any troubles.

Driving one of me customers cars back to them today (all proper items fitted) and fix some kids mini with cack leads old coil and it was running like a dog, a wipe with a cloth and a carrier bag over the dizzy because thats all we had and it was off running sweet again

40quids worth of service parts and broom broom rain or shine

dave

#12 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:57 PM

My brother in law has got a spare splash guard might have to nab it. Actually i if i get the guard, i have the sticky-out bits on the rocker cover but no clips or bolts to hold it on, anyone know wher i can get some? Or what else i can use to fi it on?
I might try changing the leds as well, having a bit of trouble starting in in all this dodgy weather.

I got replacements from MossEurope Clicky Scroll to #30 at the bottom

#13 DavesBluey

DavesBluey

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 07:04 PM

Nice one, thanks.

Think i'll have to go on a bit of a shopping spree online tonight!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users