20 replies to this topic

#1 danny_duke01

danny_duke01

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:43 PM

Hi all and thanks for looking and my project build...

Here is what i have started with...it's a '96 1275cc Rover Equinox and i have a VTEC D16A out of a '94 CRX Del Sol that's done 79k to put in.

Here is my mini the day i picked it up... (24.07.10)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Stripping out the interior... (25.07.10)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Parked with my mate Reece's VTEC D16Z6 build... (27.07.10)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Replacing the drivers side front floor section...(29.07.10)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Replacing the passenger side front floor section...(03.08.10)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 danny_duke01

danny_duke01

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:16 PM

Stripping the front end...(02.11.10)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Front end all removed...
Posted Image

Hinges (from the boot of a BMW E36 coupe) fitted to hold the new fibreglass clubman front...(03.11.10)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
New fibreglass clubman WRC front fitted...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

(11.11.10)
Posted Image

The D16A VTEC which is going to be fitted soon...
Posted Image

New subframe built by Keveric Motorsport...(12.12.10)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by danny_duke01, 15 February 2011 - 02:38 PM.

#3 danny_duke01

danny_duke01

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:36 PM

Spraying the new subframe black...(02/01/11)
Posted Image
Old Rover 1275cc engine removed...(02/01/11)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Old engine and subframe removed...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

New subframe fitted...(03/01/11)
Posted Image
Cutting out a hole in the bulkhead to take the inlet manifold on the VTEC engine...
Posted Image
Posted Image

A lick of underbody sealant...
Posted Image

Hole cut out and new metal welded in place to take the inlet manifold on the VTEC engine...(26/01/11)
Posted Image
A lick of black spray paint...
Posted Image
VTEC engine in subframe...
Posted Image

#4 h4wx1e

h4wx1e

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Local Club: sutton mini club

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:40 PM

i likey, keep up the good work mate. whats the final look going to be, full on racer?

#5 danny_duke01

danny_duke01

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:12 PM

i likey, keep up the good work mate. whats the final look going to be, full on racer?

Thanks mate...just been looking at your build too,great looking mini you have there!!
Yeah i'm def going for the full racer look although still want to keep it road legal too.

#6 ginger_monkey

ginger_monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:29 PM

Welcome over from the 16v forum. Car does look nice. Did you ever sort out the problem with the engine sitting low on the gearbox side as it might just be an old picture but the front on view looks the same. Still needs addressing mate. Also the pics of the floor panels you done. Have they been welded in any more or is that how they stand? Not trying to be offensive or anything but they need some more work as I don't think they'll be strong enough and the MOT guy will for sure fail it with welds like that.
One other thing is I thought these frames were meant for LHD cars only? I that the way your going with it?

Chris

#7 danny_duke01

danny_duke01

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:29 PM

Welcome over from the 16v forum. Car does look nice. Did you ever sort out the problem with the engine sitting low on the gearbox side as it might just be an old picture but the front on view looks the same. Still needs addressing mate. Also the pics of the floor panels you done. Have they been welded in any more or is that how they stand? Not trying to be offensive or anything but they need some more work as I don't think they'll be strong enough and the MOT guy will for sure fail it with welds like that.
One other thing is I thought these frames were meant for LHD cars only? I that the way your going with it?

Chris

Hi Chris,
Thanks your comments mate...i have not actually worked on the engine yet since those last pics were taken as just not had the time with work etc.
I have a few days off work soon coming up so plan to try and sort the engine and frame out then with help from my mate.
I have actually left those new floor panels as they are...i have only spot welded them and not seam welded...would you recommend def seam welding them then?? I did'nt really think it would be a prob with the MOT guy and not really thought about it to be honest??
I have not heard that those frames were meant for LHD only and you are the only person to mention this to me...it could explain the angle of the engine though,but from what i've read over at 16v forum,not many people are pleased with Keveric's work!!

#8 ginger_monkey

ginger_monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:18 PM

yeah there are a lot of people not happy with them but what works for some might not work for others. Just be sure yours is safe before you get to far into it cause you don't want anything to happen the first time you go for a drive. I've not had anything to do with them before but reading on peoples posts I've come to believe they are LHD unless they have been modded to suit.

As for the welds I'm not 100% on what they look for with MOT's but I think that if it's an original panel and the original way was to spot weld them on then that's ok as long as it's done the way it was to start with but looking at your pics I would definitely be inclined to seam weld it. If not more for peace of mind. My welding is no where near perfect but everyday I'm learning and someone might come on here and say it's totally fine. Best to get some opinions from people to be happy in yourself. I'm terrible when I know something is not quite right it plays on my mind every time I drive it.

keep it up mate and all the answers will come together eventually and you'll be blasting down the road in no time.

#9 danny_duke01

danny_duke01

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:00 PM

yeah there are a lot of people not happy with them but what works for some might not work for others. Just be sure yours is safe before you get to far into it cause you don't want anything to happen the first time you go for a drive. I've not had anything to do with them before but reading on peoples posts I've come to believe they are LHD unless they have been modded to suit.

As for the welds I'm not 100% on what they look for with MOT's but I think that if it's an original panel and the original way was to spot weld them on then that's ok as long as it's done the way it was to start with but looking at your pics I would definitely be inclined to seam weld it. If not more for peace of mind. My welding is no where near perfect but everyday I'm learning and someone might come on here and say it's totally fine. Best to get some opinions from people to be happy in yourself. I'm terrible when I know something is not quite right it plays on my mind every time I drive it.

keep it up mate and all the answers will come together eventually and you'll be blasting down the road in no time.

Thanks for the advice...yes certainly will make sure it's safe before i do any journey in the car,got lot's of work to do yet.
It's help and advice from others like yourself that is second to none having completed a project yourself and that advice is priceless!!
Yeah i will re-do the welding then and make sure they are seam welded for peace of mind like you say...i'm no expert at welding at all really and it's a big thanks to my mate that has done the majority of the welding on my mini.
I will get there in the end and it will all come together like you say...CAN'T WAIT!!

Edited by danny_duke01, 17 February 2011 - 07:01 PM.

#10 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:12 PM

Good to see you on here mate, I can only pretty much echo what Chris has said above about the frame as I'm over from 16v aswell and have seen your build diary

Did you sort out a rear mount yet? Either way you will need one

I know your having issues with the engine in the frame but others are aswell with this frame (B series) so your not alone, all I will say is post up as much updates as you can about how your getting on and don't be afraid to ask for help on how to work out something whether its on here or 16v, you'll be surprised at what knowledge people have on 16v minis to help you out when you hit a problem

#11 danny_duke01

danny_duke01

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:46 PM

Managed to mount the gearbox side of engine up a little higher with cutting away half the old mount and re-drilling the hole higher up the mount as far as we could get it bringing the engine up a little higher. New rad also fitted now...(28/03/11)
Posted Image

Edited by danny_duke01, 29 March 2011 - 05:53 PM.

#12 danny_duke01

danny_duke01

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:57 PM

Good to see you on here mate, I can only pretty much echo what Chris has said above about the frame as I'm over from 16v aswell and have seen your build diary

Did you sort out a rear mount yet? Either way you will need one

I know your having issues with the engine in the frame but others are aswell with this frame (B series) so your not alone, all I will say is post up as much updates as you can about how your getting on and don't be afraid to ask for help on how to work out something whether its on here or 16v, you'll be surprised at what knowledge people have on 16v minis to help you out when you hit a problem

Hi Kam,
Cheers for the help and advice mate,do appreciate it!!

#13 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:08 PM

Managed to mount the gearbox side of engine up a little higher with cutting away half the old mount and re-drilling the hole higher up the mount as far as we could get it bringing the engine up a little higher. New rad also fitted now...(28/03/11)
Posted Image

That engine alignment looks ten times better, good work :thumbsup: might be worth updating your 16v one aswell as I'm sure theres a few folk who would like to see how the engine is supposed to look in that frame! :lol: if you got any pics of the mount you recut that'll be better

Also, have you got a 'rear' mount on yet or worked out how to, you will need three mounts altogether

Keep up the good work

#14 danny_duke01

danny_duke01

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:08 PM

Posted Image

That engine alignment looks ten times better, good work :P might be worth updating your 16v one aswell as I'm sure theres a few folk who would like to see how the engine is supposed to look in that frame! :( if you got any pics of the mount you recut that'll be better

Also, have you got a 'rear' mount on yet or worked out how to, you will need three mounts altogether

Keep up the good work

Thanks Kam!!
Yep,i've just updated my build on 16v too...hopefully others can see now how the engine is supposed to sit in the frame!!
I will take pics of the recut mount this week and post 'em up...not sorted a rear mount but adding two at the front each side instead!!

#15 danny_duke01

danny_duke01

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:34 PM

Sound deadening all removed & rear seat cut away... (13/04/11)
Posted Image
Rear door bins cut away and removed only to find more rust!!
Posted Image
New metal welded in place...
Posted Image
Rear door bins cut away and removed only to find more rust!!
Posted Image
Another rust spot cut away and replaced with new metal welded in...
Posted Image
A lick of etch primer for protection...
Posted Image

Edited by danny_duke01, 23 April 2011 - 04:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users