#1 Pandora

Pandora

Cadwell Event organiser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Local Club: TMF Lincoln

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:14 PM

Just out of intrest, has anyone done a conversion from spi or mpi to carb, and did it drop the insurance for you? It was to late to call my insurence people, so i thought i would ask if you found anything.

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:35 PM

I wouldn't of thought it would drop your insurance unless you loose power, or you take an engine from a car that is a lesser insurance group than yours.

#3 crocstarr

crocstarr

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:38 PM

im sure i read in miniworld when they did the switch from inj to carb, that going to carb increases bhp, so i suppose insurance can only go up

#4 clubman katie B.F

clubman katie B.F

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:39 PM

but are you still modifying the car? roll cages don't give you more power but they increase your insurance.

#5 Pandora

Pandora

Cadwell Event organiser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:43 PM

Well im having trouble with the injection, and was going turbo anyway, but i was under the impression that being injection it got the insureres bumping it up. i mean £650 third party, carb has to be cheaper. Im 22, tho later i will be installing cage, with the cage they insurers dont get the fact that minis are a tin can and go splat if hit.

#6 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:51 PM

When i was first looking for insurance i was told i couldn't be insured on a 1.3i mini (used Jims as an example) and i found out it was because i had to have been driving for 1 yr before they would!! But then i could get insured on a carbed 1275!!! Strange i thought.
(didnt have a problem with a 3L V8 Jag!!!! Just not a 1.3i mini)

#7 gsms

gsms

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 06:32 PM

Is an engine (and gearbox) swap from injection (cooper) to carb (cooper) something I could do myself? I have some experience with FIAT and Alfa-Romeo engines.

Cheers. Guy.

#8 Pandora

Pandora

Cadwell Event organiser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:22 PM

I guess so, cant see why not :angry: there might be a few problems but theres always a few problems :angry: tho there are wiring issues and things like fueling that might be a problem have you got all the bits or just the engine?

#9 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:27 PM

if an spi car its easy to convert to carb/carbs however if a tpi its a little more difficult if u want to do away with the ecu etc

dave

#10 mini_miniman

mini_miniman

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:43 PM

i am also thinking of going down the route of getting rid of spi and going to carb but would you not struggle to mot it because of emmissions? and who would you have to inform of the engine swap?
cheers
miniman

#11 gsms

gsms

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:34 PM

hmm interesting...

it's an spi, and I don't have the actually engine yet, however I've got a couple of more powerful FIAT engines, would thaqt be possible?!

Guy.

#12 Pandora

Pandora

Cadwell Event organiser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:48 PM

Well you would have to modify you V5 document for engine swaps and paint address etc, all so insurence will have to be told. As for the Fiat i guess you could do it lol but you would need a clean shell and a modified subframe. I guess you could ask allspeed for quote on that.

#13 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:52 PM

pm me if u want to know how to do this inc the mot stuff

dave

#14 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:05 PM

The way to pass the MOT is to fit an entire engine from a carb'd car. You MUST have documents and history to prove that the engine is as old as it is and stuff and then your car will be tested for emissions based on the age of the engine. The rest of the test will be as normal though so you couldn't use this to get out of fitting rear seatbelts or something if you wanted to remove them to fit harnesses.

This wouldn't help with insurance. It doesn't matter whether you increase the BHP or not, an engine swap that is not like for like is a modification and will probably increase the quote from most insurers. They don't like modifications and they do like money. And it's nothing to do with the insurance group of the car the engine comes from. Groups are mostly based on the desirability of a car and how easy it is to nick, who's likely to buy it and how much damage it can do. The engine is very little to do with it.

#15 Pandora

Pandora

Cadwell Event organiser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:14 PM

As far as i was aware its mostly down to BHP i have been told about nickability, but im sure adrian flux would be a good bet to get a quote off.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users