13 replies to this topic

#1 mini77

mini77

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:09 PM

What’s the answer if they are getting past immobilizers and alarms? Did anyone have a tracker fitted; are the police aware nationally of this spate of minis being stolen? Plus do crock locks help? It seams to be mainly coopers that are being nicked is this right?

Edited by mini77, 06 April 2011 - 07:50 PM.

#2 oli

oli

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:58 PM

I bet its not just Minis. All classics are easy to steal and easily rung, exported or broken for spares. Its probably the same in the VW scene and others. If they really want your car they'll take it no matter what you do to it to make it secure.

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:22 PM

They're very likely being targeted rather than taken by opportune thieves. Keeping them out of sight and being wary of giving out your address or being followed will help. also try and park where access will be difficult, many are probably lifted, not driven away.

Doing what we can to stamp out trading in V5's will help, though many will very likely end up abroad - a look at who buys our insurance salvage could suggest where :thumbsup:

#4 talkalot

talkalot

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:10 PM

it exactly the same with polo G40's, theres only around 170 left on the roads in the uk, same with the mk2 and 3 gt's. Very rare and thieves love them. I really want a mini but im having second thoughts because it would have to be parked on the street. Although i could disconnect the ht leads and the clutch cable if neccersary. Nothings safe :/

#5 miniQ

miniQ

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:04 PM

Removable steering wheel

#6 boyracer2005

boyracer2005

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:58 PM

dont get the stoplock for your steering wheel because it takes about 20 seconds to get through them without damaging steering wheel. If you look in the traders section there is trackers forsale.

#7 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

TMFs New official Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield mini club

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:03 PM

anchoring it to the floor with a seriously heavy duty chain may work.
its probably best not stating your location on sites like this.

any Tom, Dick or Harry can access this site and track you down.

#8 GusRox

GusRox

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:43 AM

Buy a rusty old van, make sure it's wide enough to drive your Mini into the back on a ramp at night. Get the van sign written with the words 'Abbatoir Transport' on the sides.

Camouflage.... :D

There are immobiliser buttons on vehicles like Ambulances to stop them getting stolen when the paramedics jump out to help people. The vehicle can only be restarted when you press the button - you can have the button fitted anywhere. I know someone who fitted a secret switch which turns off the fuel supply, so that even if someone gets in and starts it up, they will only get as far as the petrol in the engine will get them. By the time it conks out, they'll assume it's a duff car and probably leave it (unless they are trailering it away).

I wonder if you could fit a 'square' tyre with locking wheelnuts at night. I know it would be a pain to keep replacing it but it might be a good idea if a car is left standing for a while.

I suppose if you make a car physically impossible to move (ie, there's no way of getting a trailer in, and no way or moving it if it does get started) you've got a head start.

#9 Brookesy

Brookesy

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:11 AM

Buy a rusty old van, make sure it's wide enough to drive your Mini into the back on a ramp at night. Get the van sign written with the words 'Abbatoir Transport' on the sides.

Camouflage.... :D

Quite possibly the best idea i have heard! Buy some magnetic rust themed panels that give your mini a 'been sat here rotting for 10 years' look. Sorry to hijack slightly but everyone loves a bit of humour.. :)

#10 talkalot

talkalot

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:10 PM

i dont know much about minis but if you take the fuel pump fuse out that will work, thats only if its electronic though,
;)

Edited by talkalot, 12 August 2011 - 09:12 PM.

#11 minimender

minimender

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.M.

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:30 PM

If they want it they will take it.

tracker is the best option but expansive.

Could mark parts so as easy to ID

I once got some wheels back because I stamped my driving licence number on the inside rim
P*9*X

#12 Bean

Bean

Queen of 'shoppin, Voted Miss TMF 2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,054 posts
  • Name: Jean

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:45 AM

minimender, I might take that route from now on!

If they want it, they will take it - But anything that you can do to make it more difficult is definitely worth doing.

My van was stolen 2 weeks ago today :( It was a shell, at the back of a big barn, with all sorts of stuff in front of it. Secured with a massive padlock and it was in the middle of nowhere.

I will be fitting a tracker to everything from now on .. >_<

#13 zeemax mini1

zeemax mini1

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:18 PM

ok now i am scared about my mini being outside :/

#14 mhamps

mhamps

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:43 AM

When I finally get my mini on the road this is my list of things I’m buying and already have to stop these people taking it away.

1) Alarm (already got)
2) wheel clamp (Each night)
3) tracker (looking at some at the moment to buy)
4) hidden fuel switch
5) battery cut of switch taken each night ( won’t do much but will be a pain for them to try and start it without)
6) car cover so the opportunists won’t see it and have go (each night)
7) camera outside the house directly on the mini
8) snap off steering wheel taken off every time I leave the car
9) parking my other car in front (each night)
10) for long periods of time away from it leaving at my work in the warehouse with alarm on building and all the above in place except for the car in front.

10 things, wow I didn’t think I would have that many and all won’t take more than 15 minutes to put in place.

The only thing I won’t be able to counter act is if they lift the mini up onto a truck but my mini will be right outside my bedroom window.

Matt

Edited by mhamps, 23 August 2011 - 11:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users