#1 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts
  • Local Club: IMOC-Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:14 PM

want to get it right this time so i thought i'd ask!!

right, i sprayed my car a lil over 2 weeks ago with 2k paint, didnt turn out to bad but i wanted rid of the orange peel texture so yesterday i cut the paint back with 2000 grit paper, it looked fine, then polished with G3 and the finish was very scratched looking. after more and more polishing it still didnt go how i'd liked. took a look at the polishing guide on here and seen that another member had written that 2k should be polished within 24 hours of painting and others saying to leave it a week or 2.
after a little mishap with the polisher and a bit of gouged paint i decided to paint the car again today, its turned out better than the first spray but with a few more runs that the last time.
now, my question is how long before i can cut back, remove the runs and polish a car painted in solid 2pack and painted in a garage on a fairly warm day???

thanks for any help

#2 JoneseyBoy

JoneseyBoy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:27 PM

well everyones going to say diffrent here there isnt really a right awnser but i normally paint a car about 5 pm and flat and polish it in the morning and thats in a workshop on a farm with no heating over night and i do that all the way threw the winter.

#3 the codfather

the codfather

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:36 PM

want to get it right this time so i thought i'd ask!!

right, i sprayed my car a lil over 2 weeks ago with 2k paint, didnt turn out to bad but i wanted rid of the orange peel texture so yesterday i cut the paint back with 2000 grit paper, it looked fine, then polished with G3 and the finish was very scratched looking. after more and more polishing it still didnt go how i'd liked. took a look at the polishing guide on here and seen that another member had written that 2k should be polished within 24 hours of painting and others saying to leave it a week or 2.
after a little mishap with the polisher and a bit of gouged paint i decided to paint the car again today, its turned out better than the first spray but with a few more runs that the last time.
now, my question is how long before i can cut back, remove the runs and polish a car painted in solid 2pack and painted in a garage on a fairly warm day???

thanks for any help

i had the same problem and it was the sandpaper i was using, so i went and brought some more expensive paper buffed the car and it came up great?

#4 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:39 PM

I think your problem is just using G3, use that after flatting with the 2000 (did you use plenty of soapy water) then use 3M Perfect III followed by a good quality polish. We are using 3M Polish Rosa and its very good.

The bodyshop we used said as long as the 2k has been baked properly then flatting and polishing after a day or so is fine. Erm was painted last week and due to a minor ******* up with plastic sheeting the painter used 3M Perfect III to take the marks out and its works fine.

I will be flatting out two minor runs with 1500 and a block with plenty of water followed by 2000 then G3 followed by Perfect III then Polish Rosa.

Now this may not agree with the other painters and experts out there but so far its working so we will take it as we go along to see if there are any long term effects.

#5 JoneseyBoy

JoneseyBoy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:03 PM

ok dont use soapy water when flatting new paint it makes it doll! the same with washing it you shoulded wash new paint with washing up liquid as it makes it doll.. useing G3 is ok if you go all the way threw the stages e.g G3 with white mop head - G6 with yellow mop head - G10 with black mop head. you shouldnt have swirls after that if you do youll need some anti swirl polish.

when flatting a run, alway flat down the run towards the head then take the block of the paint and start from the top again. never rub any other direction on a run other wise you could cause it to drag as the laquor will still be soft.

always use 3m sand paper with a block. 3m stuff is not notch and seems to last longer. the reason for using a block is because other wise youll leave finger marks and make the paint uneven.

#6 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:11 PM

i was using soapy water and plenty of it with mirka wet n dry then g3 with a white mop head(which got chewed to bits when it caught hold of the headlamp ring and the polisher got pulled towards the car and gouged an inch long scratch into the pant :P !)

#7 JoneseyBoy

JoneseyBoy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:24 PM

i was using soapy water and plenty of it with mirka wet n dry then g3 with a white mop head(which got chewed to bits when it caught hold of the headlamp ring and the polisher got pulled towards the car and gouged an inch long scratch into the pant :P !)

id advise not using soapy water. alos what G3 are you using the liquid one ? the liquid one is the best by far. lol dont worry mate polishing really isnt a easy job there is alot to consider and all comes with practise. its also goo d that youve made a mistake as youll be more careful now were people that havent made a mistake get abit cockey lol and its really quite funny when they burn threw.

Edited by JoneseyBoy, 18 April 2011 - 10:25 PM.

#8 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:56 PM

thanks guys, its the first car i'v done and i suppose i'm just expect a perfect job with no effort!!
its not the liquid g3, the 1 in the tube?
so, flat it with no water?? and then compound??

#9 JoneseyBoy

JoneseyBoy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:11 AM

thanks guys, its the first car i'v done and i suppose i'm just expect a perfect job with no effort!!
its not the liquid g3, the 1 in the tube?
so, flat it with no water?? and then compound??

flat ith water just no soap in it and the compound

#10 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:14 AM

i'l try that in the morning so, thanks for the help :P

#11 JoneseyBoy

JoneseyBoy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:18 AM

no problem mate if youneed anymore advise just ask

#12 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:22 AM

I HATE SANDING!!
its definatly sanding better without the soap in the water
just spent the last hour sanding out the runs on 1 door, its comming out perfect but my god is it boring!! nearly tempted to just bring all to a shine and not bother with taking out the orange peel.
would it flat back and polish up as well if i was to leave it and do all this work in a few weeks??

#13 JoneseyBoy

JoneseyBoy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:45 PM

I HATE SANDING!!
its definatly sanding better without the soap in the water
just spent the last hour sanding out the runs on 1 door, its comming out perfect but my god is it boring!! nearly tempted to just bring all to a shine and not bother with taking out the orange peel.
would it flat back and polish up as well if i was to leave it and do all this work in a few weeks??

to be honest your better of doing it all now. just bite your tounge and get on with it lol crank the radio up and youll be fine its got to be done either way so do it while the sun is out

#14 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:12 PM

2k cut with 2000 wet'n'dry and soap 2 weeks after spraying, then polished with G3 (can't remember which mop).
Attached File  P1120362_b.JPG   463.29K   80 downloads
It looks acceptable even close up.

#15 JoneseyBoy

JoneseyBoy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:15 PM

2k cut with 2000 wet'n'dry and soap 2 weeks after spraying, then polished with G3 (can't remember which mop).
Attached File  P1120362_b.JPG   463.29K   80 downloads
It looks acceptable even close up.

well done looks nice mate. i need to go back over my roof when i have a chance

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users