#1 JoeBodge

JoeBodge

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 12 January 2006 - 05:07 PM

Erm - my mini has been standing a while, in my garage, without any oil (as the sump is leaking)

Suddenly none of the elctrics off of the ignition work. The flasher, wipers, washer, indicatos, fan and rear heater all dont work? but everything else does? e.g the clock -which is wired into the ignition.
i know the flasher isnt off the ignition - but could it be something up with the stalks?

or lack of amps - i have charged my battery once - and it doesnt seem to make any difference.
my indicators did work once, since everything has failed - but they didnt falsh - just stayed on constant?

anyone any ideas?

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 05:36 PM

Does kind of sound like a flat battery to me (the 'stuck' indicators) , check all the fuses though just to make sure. Batteries can get to a point where it isn't possible to charge them with a normal float charger and they then either need a special charge or re-celling/topping up. Exactly how long has it been standing?

#3 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 12 January 2006 - 05:42 PM

I don't know what age your car is so I cannot give you specific information. However, the first comment I'd make is that the clock is not (or should not) be wired into or through the ignition switch. If it were, the clock would only work when the car was running.

Start by checking the battery. Keep in mind that a disused battery can loose as much as 10% of its remaining power a week in cold weather. You might see 12V when you measure it, but it may not have any "current" capacity left. Try charging the battery and/or having it load tested. If that doesn't work it's on to troubleshooting.

The fact that so many things are not working pretty much guarantees the problem is not ground related. It sounds more like you've lost a major wire somewhere. Now I said that it didn't sound like a ground problem but there is one that you must check and that's the one between the battery and the boot floor. Make sure the terminal, the cable, and it's connection in the boot are clean and making good connections.

Once you're sure that the boot ground is good I'm afraid there is no substitute for studying your car's wiring diagram. Use a volt meter or a test lamp to trace one of the problem circuits back to where you start to find power. This will tell you where the problem is. I'd choose one of the simpler components like the washer or the fan.

Edited by dklawson, 12 January 2006 - 05:44 PM.

#4 JoeBodge

JoeBodge

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 06:12 PM

The clock is wired through, so that on 1 click of the key - the clock turns on.
I have a second fuse box with, spotlights, fog lights, stereo and 12V sockets n. -this all works - but as i say nothing on the stering column or the fan and rear heater works. but the high beam does work - but not the high beam flash??
my ground cable is fine.

my car is a Austin mini HL 1982.
If that helps?

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 06:54 PM

I assume you mean the display of an LCD clock turns on, rather than the clock itself as then you'd have to set the time every trip. Is this the Mini Shop London clock?

Errrm, it sounds like you have a custom wiring installation with that second fuse box so I don't think anyone can be of specific help. We can give you general help about electrics but the specifics of your wiring are unknown, unless that extra fuse box has been fitted just to carry the normal inline fuses?

#6 JoeBodge

JoeBodge

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:15 PM

The second fuse box was fitted by me and a mate, so that we didnt hav to run in-line fuses.

The clock is from mini speed, and it is wired so that the ldc screen comes on, on 1 click. The other wire is used for memory.

i hav checked all thefuses and everything is all ok.

i will hav to wait and see what it is like when it is eventually running. It may just be a case of lack of amps - im not sure.
everyone that has been round to have a look, is stumped.They all think it is lack of amps, and without a spare battery, i wont know until it is running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users