21 replies to this topic

#1 markland

markland

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:46 AM

This might seem strange but i've been considering painting my car with a brush, my grandad used to do it and get quite good results. Looked on the internet, couldnt find much and it seems foam brushes are the best way.

I'm not wanting my mini to look perfect, it would be a shame to waste money which i don't have on a proper spray job as my bodywork while solid is'nt perfect as i sorted all the rust only using only one new panel. Could go for a sort of rat look i suppose, however this doesn't suit mini's apparently.

It would cost me less than £50 and any touch ups would be a real easy and i wouldnt have to worry about scratching it. I'm thinking of doing it with red hammerite and then possibly varnishing over to protect it from stone chips and the like.

I could use the money i saved on more exciting stuff like engine upgrades :P

What do people think? i could even do it with a normal brush to make it more noticeable and unique. Anyone got some pics of hand painted cars? and any tips for me?

#2 drewsargent1980

drewsargent1980

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Local Club: Anglian Mini Club ( AMC )

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:59 AM

Well i guess it would certainly be unique..But from a personal point of view i couldn't paint or re spray a car with out knowing that the body work and welding was top notch and rust was non exsistant first. But with what ever you decide good luck.

Edited by drewsargent1980, 21 May 2011 - 11:00 AM.

#3 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Local Club: Shetland classic car club

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:21 AM

Use a foam roller for the large areas, like a small radiator roller. Thin the paint but not too much and do it in several coats, try not to get it all done in one or two goes. All the other rules about painting applies as in its all in the preperation. Won't be a brill finish but will at least make her look better. If you can get an old bonnet or something like that then experiment with paint thinning and seeing what works best on that and what gives the best finish. Then at least you'll have a lot more confidence etc when you tackle the car itself, good luck!

#4 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:47 AM

if you do a search for "roller painting" and "rustoleum" you should find a few topics to help

i have painted my camper van with a roller

#5 markland

markland

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:04 PM

if you do a search for "roller painting" and "rustoleum" you should find a few topics to help

i have painted my camper van with a roller

Cheers, found loads of topics now :P

#6 Foxy10

Foxy10

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Local Club: Crewe's Missiles

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:22 PM

i rollered mine! take a look at my thread http://www.theminifo...x...=149448&hl=
:P

#7 markland

markland

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:59 PM

i rollered mine! take a look at my thread http://www.theminifo...x...=149448&hl=
:P

Cheers, your mini is just the look im going for!, How much paint did you use and did you thin it?

#8 markland

markland

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:13 PM

Right i think im going to use Hammerite HAMMERED finish in red, i have a bit of green left that ive been using in my wheel wells and over underside repairs after red oxide primer and before underseal and to be honest i quite like the effect it gives. I wont have to worry about getting it super glossy and im sure it will be unique! will have my 10" GB alloys professionally refurbed and a good interior so sort of rat look. It's not like my mini is an expensive car! a proper paint job would cost like double what its worth.

Anyone know where i can get some hammerite cheaper than halfords? it was selling cheap at bingley hall :P the tin of green i have atm has a £7.99 price tag on it, is a few years old and its 500ml, at halfords its £19.99 a litre!

#9 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:17 PM

You can get just as good a finish with a brush (rollers are easier), it just takes more work.

You need paint that goes off more slowly, like stuff made for large commercial vehicles. Paint companies produce data sheets.

Don't use Hammerite, it will look cack & you can't flat out mistakes.

Hammerite uses Xylene which is very volatile, an oil based paint (to thin with white spirits) will be better.

#10 Jayme 1275

Jayme 1275

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:50 PM

The roller would be a better job and if you pit it on in thin layers that are even you could with some time flat it down you could get a good finish depending on the time you spend at it

#11 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:29 PM

I've used both rustoluem or dulux non-drip gloss before. if you click the link ( the green mini below) there should be a few picks of the dulux one.

#12 tieclubbyestate

tieclubbyestate

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:43 PM

My dad did his Landy in dulux paint he had to do a few layers and keep rubbing it down but it looks pro!
Posted Image

#13 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:24 PM

I brush painted my 1st min with (I think, it was 15yrs ago :)) Jennolite repaint (designed for brush painting). It didn't come out too bad when I followed the instructions :lol:

A more recent link to some one who has done it
http://retrorides.pr...mp;thread=82305

I have been rollering my current rebuild with rustoleum, and it is much easier and quicker, and the finish is better too :thumbsup:
http://www.theminifo...howtopic=189111

#14 jbj

jbj

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:02 PM

I wouldn't bother. Some cars look ok with rough and ready paint jobs, but Mini's don't (IMO).

#15 se_juggles

se_juggles

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:05 AM

ever considered vinyl wrapping mate im doing my whole mini in 3d carbon fibre vinyl and its costing me about half what the spray job would have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users