47 replies to this topic

#1 ldorbin

ldorbin

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:33 PM

Hi guys i have just recently joined TMF and i am 15 years old i am thinking of getting a mini for my first car but i have been told not to buy one because they are not very reliable, is this true or not?

#2 tom3112

tom3112

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:38 PM

They're just like any car, mine broke down twice when i first got it and has been fine ever since i replaced the parts. Look after it and it'll look after you.

#3 mini danny

mini danny

I am a mini daddy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:23 PM

Welcome and I've had mine 14 months and I've never broke down (touch wood)

look after the mini and it will look after you

Dan

#4 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:34 PM

Hi..youngman and welcome to TMF and I hope you find a mini soon.............. :P

#5 a lonely peanut

a lonely peanut

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:19 AM

Definitely get a mini as a first car they are just great to drive, mine has only just got on the road this week and im loving it. Also i agree with above comments about maintaing the car and it should be reliable :P

#6 IS300

IS300

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:22 AM

im 15 and neither of my 2 minis have ever let me down, my grasser gets ragged at about 7000rpm through mud, water, grass and its still alive :P

Edited by IS300, 31 May 2011 - 07:28 AM.

#7 jbj

jbj

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:36 AM

I'd slightly disagree with the above comments on reliability... yes they can be fine if well maintained but a 'modern' car would be far more sensible...

...however, you're 15 so being sensible should be the last thing on your mind! Minis are cool even when on the back of an AA wagon so just do it :P

Edited by jbj, 31 May 2011 - 10:35 PM.

#8 ldorbin

ldorbin

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:32 PM

Cheers for all the quick replies very good points the only thing that was worrying me was when i pass my test and lets say me and a few mates say lets go to cornwall or something (we are located in chester so it is a fairly long drive) it might not get us there and it would ruin the holiday.

#9 minimk1

minimk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Local Club: a's of herts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:40 PM

hi ive had my mini nearly a year and when i brought it had only been used for a run around and had only ever gone as fars as 10 miles each time and me and my dad drove it 100 miles home doing 70 mph all the way and there were no problems whatso ever and it has been fine scince but even if it did minis are so simple that anyone could fix it sooo for me my fist car as being a mini was the best choice for me as no new cars have the charecter or clubs to do with the mini and like they say look after it and it will look after you as a mini is not just a car its a freind :thumbsup:

#10 ldorbin

ldorbin

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:47 PM

very good point and you are right the mini has so much character :thumbsup:

#11 samperks

samperks

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Local Club: looking

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:13 PM

very good point and you are right the mini has so much character :wub:

i got a mini tahiti 1275cc as my first car and best decision ever.
i was paying £1400 on my insurance for my first year on moms insurance 3rd party fire and theft. half way through the year it dropped down to £700 im guessing it would be even cheaper with a smaller engine. plus the attention it got from my mates and random people when driving will instantly put a smile on your face, but like people have already said treat it well and it will treat you well!

advantages are in my opinion:
cheap insurance because of small engines and the fact they are classics.
relativly cheap and easy to repair parts are easy to come by.
300% more character compared to modern cars
stupidly fun to drive :withstupid:

GET ONE :thumbsup:

#12 bobs

bobs

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Local Club: Six-Ex Mini Owners Club

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:20 PM

Cheers for all the quick replies very good points the only thing that was worrying me was when i pass my test and lets say me and a few mates say lets go to cornwall or something (we are located in chester so it is a fairly long drive) it might not get us there and it would ruin the holiday.

Get a mini, then you have the excuse of getting one of your mates to drive down south in their saxo/fiesta/pug, leaving you free to drink heavily...

If well maintained, it'll get you there and back, it won't be comfortable for a full car, I wouldn't want to do a long journey in a car I don't know/trust until I've ironed out all the gremilins/bodges from the previous owner...

Good luck when you get around to passing your test.

#13 BlueBell

BlueBell

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:16 PM

My 13 year old is already saving up for one, buy a city or similar that needs a bit of work but cheap to insure spend the next few years sorting it out with parents help and you'l hav a fab car plus probably get your money back later!!

#14 ldorbin

ldorbin

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:21 PM

haven't really got the money just yet as i have just blown it all on a rc car but i am definitely going to start saving for one :thumbsup:

#15 kalum

kalum

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:48 PM

welcome to TMF! you should definately do it, i got my mini when i was 14 (I'm now 18) it had MOT so my dad used it for a year and it never broke down once. its currently being rebuilt to remove previous bodge jobs. an i see your not far from me, i'm from wrexham.
Kalum

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users