9 replies to this topic

#1 Cerberus

Cerberus

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:12 PM

I'm starting to think the answer is yes, but want to check.

Doing a little repair on my windscreen lip, and I'm going to have to spray most of it.

We've got some Halfords 'Filler primer' (Basically high build primer? ), and the paint (Halfords Rover electric blue).

Do I need some lacquer too?

I thought Halfords cans used to say if you needed lacquer to go on with the paint, but can't find any mention of lacquer at all on any of the current halfords cans we've got.

Thanks

#2 sam7

sam7

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:43 PM

hi, really ur answer is yes you do need a lacquer over the top of the colour, it will make it look nice. but i have used some of that halfords paint and its really strange stuff, the chances it will match are very slim. but also some i have used have some how after spraying and letting dry, the paint (basecoat) somehow stayed shiny??? :thumbsup: and it should dull down so you put lacquer over to get to shine. so try it mate if its shiny and how u want it, then leave it. or lacquer it

#3 Cerberus

Cerberus

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:22 PM

We've used it already on some small stone chips and scratches, and it matches pretty well.

The whole car doesn't match altogethor anyway, it looks as though the doors have been resprayed at some point, and in certain lights, you can see that they're not quite the same colour as the rest of the car.

And seeing as its mostly going to be covered by the windscreen seal, its even less of a problem, :thumbsup:

#4 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:06 PM

For the pre mixed helfrauds can's you only need a lacquer if its a metalic or pearl, which I don't think electric blue is (if its the same colour as in your avatar)

#5 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

If you are lacquering metallic paint, you need to flat it back with very fine wet and dry (800+) to a dull finish before applying the lacquer to get the correct effect/match.

#6 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:59 PM

You should only need to flat it back if the paints dried. If not spray the lacquer around 30 minutes after your final paint coat.

#7 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:08 PM

Only basecoat (all metallics and pearls, a few solids) need laquer.

Do not sand, flat, nib or scotchbrite basecoat before laquering. Just let it air dry to a matt/satin finish and then laquer.

#8 Cerberus

Cerberus

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:15 PM

I found the 'metallic and pearlescent' thing on one of the halfords chip stick repair things from an old car.

I'll spray it on and see how it looks, as I say, most of its going to be under the windscreen seal, so should be pretty well protected and won't be seen.

Thanks everyone

#9 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 01:10 AM

Only basecoat (all metallics and pearls, a few solids) need laquer.

Do not sand, flat, nib or scotchbrite basecoat before laquering. Just let it air dry to a matt/satin finish and then laquer.

Im presuming as you will whip the tops off some of the metalic bits?

Edited by Sam Walters, 11 June 2011 - 01:10 AM.

#10 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:54 PM

Pretty much. It disturbs the way in which the metallic particles lay or if you sand, you see sanding marks.

By the way, you can clearcoat over solid gloss colours too, which will provide better UV protection in most cases. Just dont sand or burn through the clear into the solid when polishing as your likely to get a colour difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users