• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 greg.harvey

greg.harvey

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Local Club: Will be! Need to find one...

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:46 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm a long-suffering classic car nut who has just bought a Mini (late one, 1999, 1275i) as a second car for the family. Super pleased with it! Bought it in Liverpool, just finished driving it home, which is Uzès, way down south in France. Never had a Mini before and have loved every second of driving it so far. So much fun!

Anyway, first job whenever I get a new car is find a good forum, and this seems just the ticket! So hi everyone... =)

Cheers,

Greg

#2 conrod

conrod

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Local Club: Combined Coastal Car Club

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:00 AM

Hi Greg, that doesn't sound very french unless it is short for Gregoire! So if you drove it home from Liverpool to Uzes it has already proved its reliability. Good one! Welcome and show us some photo's. Cheers Kev.

#3 greg.harvey

greg.harvey

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:19 PM

Hi Greg, that doesn't sound very french unless it is short for Gregoire! So if you drove it home from Liverpool to Uzes it has already proved its reliability. Good one! Welcome and show us some photo's. Cheers Kev.

Haha, indeed - I am not French, just living here. And it did indeed prove its reliability! Cracking little car. Photos will follow. =)

#4 marksmini

marksmini

Mark - Founder of TMF since 2003 - Onwards

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,429 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:04 PM

welcome to the forum, hope you make many new Mini friends :P

#5 conrod

conrod

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:31 AM

Wow, I love Marksmini's montage at the bottom of his reply. How can I do that. I am 57 and living in Aussie so plain english pleez.

#6 marksmini

marksmini

Mark - Founder of TMF since 2003 - Onwards

• Admin
  • 29,429 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:11 PM

http://www.theminifo...x...6602&st=495

LOL, This is the link you will need my friend. The guys who read this section are are very good at making things up like the above. just attach acouple picture you like to a post reply and ask for a signature to be made. Once you have something made for you drop me a PM to where the final image is (we call them banners) and i will add it for you. It can be done under your control pannel settings its very easy, but if you chick out let me know and i will do it for you.

Good luck with the banner :thumbsup:)

#7 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:23 PM

Bonjour..and welcome to TMF and enjoy your mini on those long quite and twisty french roads............ :thumbsup:

#8 greg.harvey

greg.harvey

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:18 PM

Thanks everyone! This is a great forum, glad to have found it. It's already answered several questions for me! Fantastic resource, and good people too. =)

#9 yellowmonster

yellowmonster

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Local Club: MOCT

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:04 PM

Are you gonna convert it to LHD then, or is the plan to move back to the UK (eventually..) and take the car(s) with you?
Welcome anyway, and don't lose the grin!

#10 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:06 PM

Welcome to the forum.

#11 greg.harvey

greg.harvey

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:37 PM

@yellowmonster, convert it?? Then it wouldn't be a real Mini! ;-)
How easy is that...? :)

@Scallywag630, thanks for the welcome!

#12 conrod

conrod

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:08 PM

@yellowmonster, convert it?? Then it wouldn't be a real Mini! ;-)
How easy is that...? ;D

@Scallywag630, thanks for the welcome!

If it wasn't for the LHD countries buying Mini's there wouldn't have been any minis made after Leyland in the seventies. There are some very nice French people and Dutch people and Finnish people driving Minis. Don't upset them!.....Ha ha I have a 1960 Van that was converted to LHD after a Finnish couple bought it from Paddock Wood. I bought it from them at the Mini's 40th birthday at Silverstone. Then I took it with me to Australia. LHD is quite a novelty. Cheers Kev.

#13 greg.harvey

greg.harvey

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:51 AM

If it wasn't for the LHD countries buying Mini's there wouldn't have been any minis made after Leyland in the seventies. There are some very nice French people and Dutch people and Finnish people driving Minis. Don't upset them!.....Ha ha I have a 1960 Van that was converted to LHD after a Finnish couple bought it from Paddock Wood. I bought it from them at the Mini's 40th birthday at Silverstone. Then I took it with me to Australia. LHD is quite a novelty. Cheers Kev.

Probably true! Looked at a nice Mini in Paris actually, but the French want too much money for their cars in general. I'd love a left-hooker, because then I'd take more advantage of the fact my 1275 Mini can actually pass people! \o/
Right now it's only on right-hand bends on to a straight, where I get a good view as I round the corner so I can stick pedal to metal on exit... ;-)

#14 Stu

Stu

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:33 AM

Welcome to the forum mate, i'd like to move to the south of france eventually ;D

#15 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:54 AM

Just overtake on the inside, what could be more French than that!

If it's a late model with a horizontal servo 'n instruments behind the steering wheel it'll be a fair bit more work. Maybe you could get lucky in les scrappies Francais, a search in Somerford's or Moss's online parts catalogues would help you spot the bits with LHD in their description.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users