28 replies to this topic

#1 jedstricky

jedstricky

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:03 PM

hey im jed im 16 and live in Penzance Cornwall! i bought myself a 1975 mini 850 which had already been converted to a 998! :) i am planning on some 12x6 revolutions with whatever arches will fit them. i have just bought some hubs for discs as i was advised to do the hub to disc conversion for the front just incase! haha ill also bee looking out for a new interior and also a subtle lowering as i need to have my driving lessons and test in it :) i will put some pictures up soon as i had some on my phone but it broke! :P also any general knowledge help will be appreciated! :)
cheers all :)

Edited by jedstricky, 21 July 2011 - 09:41 PM.

#2 marksmini

marksmini

Mark - Founder of TMF since 2003 - Onwards

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,428 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:06 PM

Nice part of the Uk cornwall,

Welcome :P the Tech sections are worth a good read, Bucket loads of advise in there and the FAQ section too.

#3 jedstricky

jedstricky

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:11 PM

cheers mark ill be havin a look there now! :P

#4 conrod

conrod

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Local Club: Combined Coastal Car Club

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:37 AM

1974 my first Mini was an 850 salooon with a lightened and balanced 998 in it. Bought it off a policeman. After a few minor mods to the head and a small weber carbie I was nearly unbeatable at the friday night drags on the Joburg Road outside Bulawayo. Happy days. Kev.

#5 jedstricky

jedstricky

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:47 PM

what are the easiest and cheapest mods for performance kev? cheers jed

#6 conrod

conrod

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:32 AM

Jed, the head is key if you get the flow through the head sorted and a good exhaust....you are well on your way to a quick Mini. A good idea would be to get some disc brakes to go with the extra power. Al the best. Kev.

#7 izzy

izzy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:40 PM

welcome to TMF.

#8 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:39 PM

Hi..Youngman and welcome to TMF and enjoy your mini.................. :thumbsup:

#9 jedstricky

jedstricky

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:02 PM

cheers guys and ill definetley enjoy driving it :thumbsup: what affects the flow through the head and what exhausts would be better? i bought two front disc hubs ready to go on but just need some new wheels to be able to fit them! :( cheers for the help and advice guys
jed

#10 BenCoul

BenCoul

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:59 PM

Welcome form another 16 year old owner :thumbsup:

#11 conrod

conrod

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:16 AM

cheers guys and ill definetley enjoy driving it :thumbsup: what affects the flow through the head and what exhausts would be better? i bought two front disc hubs ready to go on but just need some new wheels to be able to fit them! :( cheers for the help and advice guys
jed

Jed, if you can get an MG1100 head i.e. 12G295 it will already have the bigger valves and better ports to provide the flow......what is the part numbe rof the head you have now? You should be able to see by removing the rocker cover. Then a good LCB exhaust manifold and an RCB system. Maybe an 1.75" carb too. Roller rockers are another way of increasing the power. See whats available in the for sale section.....might be lucky. Cheers kev.

#12 jedstricky

jedstricky

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:32 PM

cheers kev i found a lcb system on huddersfield spares http://www.minispare...amp;prod_id=461 is this the right thing? i dont have a clue about the others so if you see any around would you be able to let me know? cheers

thanks ben its great owning a car before you can drive as it gives you a chance to do any changes before its being driven around constantly! haha

cheers jed

#13 conrod

conrod

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:23 PM

That LCB is a good one for what you want to do. If you get a stainless system it will last longer than the car, with luck. More dollars but worth it. Budget willing!!

#14 jedstricky

jedstricky

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:42 PM

i dont seem to be able to find a stainless steel one. on huddersfield spares they do a mild steel one but is it as good as the one in the link as it is cheaper? (not really sure what im looking for!) haha
cheers jed

#15 rids

rids

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:51 PM

a stainless exhaust, not manifold.... you cant go far wrong with a rc40 exhaust.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users