#1 Ryan B

Ryan B

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:12 PM

Hi all,
just finished the auction for my mini ended up at £1020 although the winning bidder is located in Italy!!!!!????

He's said that it's for his sister in London and gave me her email address. She said that her brother pays for it (using my bank details) and then she ships back to Italy for him. He has 36 positive feedbacks (100%) some in english and some in Italian.

Am I about to get screwed if I send the invoice.
Have already contacted second highest bidder who would still be interested.

What do i do?

and what would you do?

I don't want to get rid of mini anyway but i especially don't want to get conned out of it!!!!!

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:16 PM

Can't see a con there. If you invoice him and he pays I can't see a problem.

#3 SCURVY DOG

SCURVY DOG

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:18 PM

always cash on collection is the only way to be sure

i never give out my bank deatails do care how much + feedback they have

to many people falling for fake emails from ebay and giving out their details

and then criminals using there ebay accounts

did you list as uk only

if so if so they should not have bid

i set my setting so no one outside the uk can bid on a uk only auction

tell them its cash or bankers drafts only see what they say

if guniune will pay as you ask or stated in your ad

#4 Ryan B

Ryan B

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:23 PM

I didn't put UK only which is totally my fault but was first time selling a car. I clearly stated paypal, cash or banker drafts only and told them this again.

I've already recieved one of those fake emails i reported it to ebay and sure enough it was 100% we're gonna steal your money!!!! Nothings safe!!!!

#5 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:25 PM

To pay money into a bank you only need their account number, sort code and account holders name. These details together cannot be used fraudulantly. And if you use Paypal they only need your email address! But theres limits to how much you can sent over Paypal!

#6 SCURVY DOG

SCURVY DOG

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:36 PM

if you stated paypal ,cash or bankers draft and they are not willing to pay by

thoses options then they arn't copliying with the auction

and i would offer it to the next highest bidder

you can imform ebay that thay are not complining with you payment methods if

they get funny about it

hope you sort it out

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:36 PM

Of course they can Jammy, that's how identity theft starts.

#8 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:43 PM

Don't you still need either the signature (now becoming quite useless) or those security numbers on the signature strip?

#9 Ryan B

Ryan B

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:46 PM

They haven't replied yet????? Will contact my bank tomorrow and ask for there advice!!

#10 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:55 PM

Identity theft doesn't always work by targetting your existing bank accounts, that's pretty hard as you say. What they do is apply for several loans in your name, new credit cards in your name, even a mortgage. They use any information they can get about you for proof of identity, giving someone your bank details is pretty good proof as it's very unique to you and you're supposed to keep them secret. They can use this information to get other information and work from there. Also if they go into a branch of your bank with that information and say 'my signature has changed, I need to do a new signature form' then they can sign however they like from then on. And all the debts they build up are legally yours. A friend of mine was attacked like this and lost thousands. The only information that the theives had to start from was a new, unactivated account card. Not a debit or credit card with a security number just a normal account information card that was nicked out of the post.

#11 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:05 PM

OK, so my original statement still reigns true. If someone *only* knows the account holders name, account number and sort code they can't do anything fraudulantly. However, they can use this information as a stepping stone, and the less information you give out the better.

Saying that, someone with enough know how could steal your identity just by using you email address as a starting point.

#12 Ryan B

Ryan B

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:06 PM

So they know my address and name so giving bank details is pretty much the last thing i want to do. I'll stick to my guns and except paypal or cash only, give them til tomorrow evening to reply and then if they don't offer it second highest bidder which is about £150 less but at least it's safe.

#13 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:30 PM

Even if they pay with paypal leave it a few days just to be on the safe side. Paypal isn't 100% safe and transactions don't happen there and then. They still take time to clear properly.

#14 Ryan B

Ryan B

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:48 PM

Got a reply and pretty much they won't do it my way so it's going to happen, i have contacted second place bidder. thanks for all the information helped me make the right information others beware!!!! lookout for royalengland06!!!!!!

#15 directorydaz

directorydaz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:55 PM

I have just sold my car to the states... the guy paypal'ed my 2k via e-chq so i only paid £3.50 in fees!!!!

Never give out your bank details take paypal and stand the fees!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users