#1 KTM kid

KTM kid

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Local Club: Crews missels

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:16 AM

Has anyone got a paddle shift on there bike engined mini, If so what are they like to use on the road as well as track. is using buttons to change gear just as easy?
And what price are they for up & down shifts.

#2 ZCars Steve

ZCars Steve

Z Cars

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:08 PM

checkout geartronics
http://www.geartroni...paddleshift.htm
Chris uses these on his race car with great effect

#3 KTM kid

KTM kid

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:22 PM

That seems the dogs nuts, but £3,500 it should be. Iam thinking something much cheaper than that. but thanks for the info Steve.

#4 ZCars Steve

ZCars Steve

Z Cars

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:53 PM

it is both possible and effective to fabricate the paddles yourself and then if you give me the length i can have a cable made to suit we have done this for a few people now including Chris before the turbo busa was fitted

#5 KTM kid

KTM kid

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:43 PM

Its will still be out of my price range Ste, I have been looking at the flat shifter Pro for £600 but its another £300 for paddles. I could buy paddles at a latter date. but this is the most I can afford. unless something second hand came along. but thanks again.

#6 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:17 AM

it is both possible and effective to fabricate the paddles yourself and then if you give me the length i can have a cable made to suit we have done this for a few people now including Chris before the turbo busa was fitted

Steve, are you suggesting a manual cable type shifter with a single cable running from the steering column to the gearlever on the engine? KTMkid, surely this would be the cheapest and simplest option until such time that you can afford to go electronic?

#7 KTM kid

KTM kid

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:12 PM

Sorry mate.Yes you would be right. and I did not read the question like that. I was thinking of the system on Chris car. Sorry. Yes Steve tell me more about this system you have in mind.

#8 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:59 AM

Heres how I think it would work:

The first example is how I would personally have it with the changing up gear happening as the lever is pulled towards you and changing down gear as you push the lever away (feels natural with the forces acting upon you during acceleration and deceleration). The second way is opposite and like they have it in Smart cars - feck knows why but incase thats what you're used to then thats a way of doing it.

All of the below drawings are assuming a right handed driver changing gear with their left hand. Also that the Gear Handle is fixed to the spaceframe not the steering column.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Open to comments.........

#9 ZCars Steve

ZCars Steve

Z Cars

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:23 PM

thats exactly what i was suggesting we have fitted these to a few cars they are very simple and work very well and if you have the patiance you can make some quite tasty paddles

#10 benmoffat

benmoffat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:22 PM

Paddles available here: http://www.proshift....id=96&Itemid=60 no price though
Or these: http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a697c7b73

But you could get some lasered ones from aluminium or steel for about £20, if you can draw it up on cad you can have any shape you want to position exactly where you want. If you need it drawn up let me know and I could help you out and get a price from a laser company we use at work. (Just got a price for some 10mm thick wheels spacers and they were £9 each)

#11 KTM kid

KTM kid

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:16 PM

Thanks Lads this is a great starting point. cptkirk. I would think your drawing would be the same for the busa engine. and thanks for this, as its much easier to see from a drawing what people mean.
If you do not fix it to the column then Where would I fix it? I do not have the extra bar which comes under the dash and has a D shape to it with bearings.
Ben I just about email so CAD drawing is far from my capabilities. but If you can draw something up that will fix to the steering wheel or Q.R. mount and still work with the cable, then I am more than interested. I know this is asking a lot from you all. :shy:

#12 ZCars Steve

ZCars Steve

Z Cars

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:33 PM

do you have the dash bar on your frame as you could mount a D loop from there otherwise you would have to mount of the std mini dash bar or make something from the standard column mounting or you could mount to the outer sleeve of the column there will be a suitable answer for this

Steve

#13 KTM kid

KTM kid

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:55 PM

Thanks Steve, I do not have the dash bar, or D loop. I would have to make something from the standard column
Lee.

#14 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:17 AM

Pingle has a nice electric shifter for much less. I just got one for my Hyabusa Monte Carlo.

http://www.pashnit.c...m=&item_number=

I also ordered this steering wheel which already has the buttons in it.

Attached Files

#15 lonoma01

lonoma01

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:29 AM

Pingel makes a electric shifter for handicapped people to ride a motorcycle. It's got up and down shift and it has the kill needed to makes shift. I think in us they sell for around 800

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users