Photo

My First Mini - What Do You Think? Can You Help?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 MiniMadNox

MiniMadNox

Previously known as minimad1992

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:04 PM

Hey Guys,

I know i've already posted this, but i put it in the wrong section :shy: how "noobie".

I'm new to all this so go easy! I've just bought my first car which is a 1996 purple mini equinox which I've named The Nox, my favourite colour and car! can it get any better?

I paid £2000 for this stunner back in June, It seems to be in great condition for its age, but i don't know much about them yet.

I haven't passed my test yet but i am learning in it and it's so fun, I never want to drive a different car again! ( Hopefully i'll pass by October )

Anyway I have a problem! When i'm going at some speed ( around 30/40 ) it sometimes cuts out on me. I pull over and restart the engine and it starts first time always. Weird!

This weekend i am going to clean out and replace the stuff i think needs replacing. But i am not too sure what could be causing it to cut out.

I am going to replace the HT cables, spark plugs, distributer & cap.

But i am unaware of what ones to buy. My registration form says it was registered in September 1996 but in the manual it says it's made after October 1996. It has an electric ignition. (if that helps)

Can anyone help me as i want it to be running smoothly for when i take my test in it.

Here are some pictures of The Nox!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Everything is standard at the moment, What do you think? Worth the money?

Cheers, James :D

#2 89mini-boy

89mini-boy

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Local Club: OXMOC

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:12 PM

I haven't passed my test yet but i am learning in it and it's so fun, I never want to drive a different car again! ( Hopefully i'll pass by October )

hahahahaha im 17 and still learning have 3 minis and learning to drive in a focus :X its not tooo bad but hands down mini anyday!! just cant wait to drive and fix up my other 2 off road at the moment. well enjoy it and hope you pass your test soon ;D

Ashley

Edited by 89mini-boy, 17 August 2011 - 12:12 PM.

#3 Swainy

Swainy

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Local Club: Sexy People Only Mini Club

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:41 PM

That is a very nice mini!

I see that you have changed your letter colour to purple to match the car ;)

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:09 PM

It's an SPI? The distributor & leads aren't that likely if the engine stops rather than stutters. I'd go through all the engine management connectors first and have a look that the loom isn't being pulled or trapped.

Don't worry if you post in the wrong section, we'll move it if we spot it, but if we haven't after a while just use the report button :)

#5 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:33 PM

Hi..and welcome to TMF and enjoy your stunning mini..................... :proud:

#6 danny_duke01

danny_duke01

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:58 PM

Hi and welcome!! Great looking mini you have there!!

#7 MiniMadNox

MiniMadNox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:21 AM

Cheers Guys, I've just became a TMF+ member! :proud: and Ethel thank's for the pointer :D

P.S. does anyone know where i can find my TMF+ number for discounts?

Ta, James

#8 JustSteve

JustSteve

Puke-Boy!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:47 AM

Nothing catches Swainy out! haha :P

Looking good James :thumbsup:

#9 Swainy

Swainy

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Local Club: Sexy People Only Mini Club

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:48 AM

Nothing catches Swainy out! haha :P

Looking good James :thumbsup:

Got to get up early to beat me my friend :mrcool:

#10 jbj

jbj

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:35 PM

Welcome! Looks a good buy for £2000, nice and standard - try not to mess with it too much ;)

#11 MiniMadNox

MiniMadNox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:52 PM

Haha Swainy, i thought it would be suitable!

I dont have that many plans for it as its my first mini and ill be using it for work, I have to change the exhaust tonight as its blowing! ( There's a bigger hole in the side then there is at the end :P)

Also i want 12x6 Alloys and bigger wheel arches n a few chrome bits n bobs! :proud: ooo n maybe some spot lights xD

Any thoughts of what i should do to it?

Cheers, james

#12 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:41 PM

As it is pretty much in an original and unmolested condition, then you really should consider the potential resale value, as original examples tend to be worth more. Therefore it would be wise to make keep all mods to the "bolt on" and reversible kind, so that the car can be put back to its original spec for resale. You therefore should keep and store items that you remove/replace, so that it can be put back to original spec at a later stage. For this reason you could fit some alloys, so long as you keep the original steelies. I would avoid wide 6" rims though, as you may well need to make mods to the body/wings in order to get them to fit. I would also only fit wider arches that use the original arch holes in the body work (such as group 2's) so that the original arches can easily be refitted.

#13 MiniMadNox

MiniMadNox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:57 AM

As it is pretty much in an original and unmolested condition, then you really should consider the potential resale value, as original examples tend to be worth more. Therefore it would be wise to make keep all mods to the "bolt on" and reversible kind, so that the car can be put back to its original spec for resale. You therefore should keep and store items that you remove/replace, so that it can be put back to original spec at a later stage. For this reason you could fit some alloys, so long as you keep the original steelies. I would avoid wide 6" rims though, as you may well need to make mods to the body/wings in order to get them to fit. I would also only fit wider arches that use the original arch holes in the body work (such as group 2's) so that the original arches can easily be refitted.

Thanks AVV IT, very helpful information! I intend to only do "removable mods" to my car now.

i.e. lights, badges. dash, seats etc.

Could you advise me on alloy's tho. The standard steelies that came on my car are 12x4.5. Whats the widest alloys do you think i can fit on my car without doing any cutting to the bodywork?

Ta, James

#14 apdxxx

apdxxx

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 07:37 PM

Welcome!
and if i do say so myself veryyyyyyyy nice mini :D

#15 MiniMadNox

MiniMadNox