23 replies to this topic

#1 miniman207

miniman207

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 03:45 PM

i have just had a little play around and it is not smoking as much as it was but i checked the timing again and it is firing about 60 degrees before top dead centre!!!!!!!! How can this be because if u turn the distributor then it cant go any further or you hit the oil pressure sensor!! When you remove dizzy cap the rotar arm is pointing at number 1 at TDC then 3, 4, 2 goin anti-clockwise around the distributor, which is what it says but i cant get why the mark on the crank pulley is about 60 degrees out but it still fires!!

Could this be down to wrong distributor?

Gaz

#2 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 28 January 2006 - 03:47 PM

has the camshaft been changed recently?

#3 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 28 January 2006 - 03:49 PM

just read your other post, as Dan has said in that one I suspect the dizzy shaft is fitted in wrong. :wink:

#4 SCURVY DOG

SCURVY DOG

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 03:57 PM

when no 4 cylinder is at top dead centre is does the tdc mark on the crank pully

line up with the mark on the pully cover

as have had pullys that don't line up before

if not mark the pully when at tdc

cant be the wrong dizzy as any dizzy will work its the advance curve that is

matched to different engines

and that only kicks in as you rev the engine does not afecct the timing on tickover

#5 miniman207

miniman207

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 04:19 PM

just checked the dizzy driveshaft and according to haynes it is spot on in the right place

#6 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 28 January 2006 - 05:04 PM

Ho Ho

Exactly the same as what was wrong( at least one of the faults) with Jackmans, no difference what so ever. Timing arround 60 degrees and burning out caps. Realy surprised it actualy ran :saywhat:

Remove the distributer, use a 5/16 bolt and screw it into the dizzy drive pull it out and turn it one or two teeth clock wise then re install. Fit dizzy and set it up. this will give you enough room to adjust the timing.

Funny thing about JacKmans is that he had the engine tuned on the rollers at minisport and the operator never flagged this up as a problem, just removed the vac advance, said there was too much advance and reprofofiled the needle.

Sorted the timing out three weeks ago and waited to see how things went. Still bad fuel consumption. Today we fitted a different distributer( from a 998), changed the needle in the carb back to the original, found the spring was longer than a standard one(looks like it had been stretched) so changed that too and went for a drive. No hesitation and drove well. Again we shall wait and see if fuel consumption is any better. But now I'm high jacking the thread, Sorry :nugget:

The initial problem was the timming way out, I mean, two weeks and burnt out dizzy cap :( something was not right

#7 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 05:05 PM

just checked the dizzy driveshaft and according to haynes it is spot on in the right place

It doesn't work, jackman and me tried it :( just move it two teeth clockwise :cheese:

#8 miniman207

miniman207

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 05:25 PM

cheers mini sprocket will giv it a go il let you know how it goes

Gaz

#9 miniman207

miniman207

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 06:39 PM

minisprocket your a star!! got the timing near enough spot on, going to leave it for tonight now and get the strobe out 2mora.
Someone giv sprocket a bone!

Cheers
Gaz

#10 prawny1

prawny1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:10 AM

Looks to me as though theres a manufacturing error as regards to the timing marks, are the dizzy and crank pulleys origional to the engine or replacments?

#11 prawny1

prawny1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:19 AM

are all mini crank pulleys the same or do some models fit at a different angle hense different timing mark (sneaky manufacturing trick to keep prices high on pulleys for certain models maybe)

#12 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:20 AM

Looks to me as though theres a manufacturing error as regards to the timing marks, are the dizzy and crank pulleys origional to the engine or replacments?

I think you'll find I was right :smartass:

#13 prawny1

prawny1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:24 AM

I know you have sorted his problem but that still doen't explain why his timing was so far out even though all timing marks where ok, unless the possition of the distributor cam ring (bit that operates pionts was instaled incorrectly.

#14 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:25 AM

that post is a little confusing. :(

Are you confused :(

Edited by Mini Sprocket, 29 January 2006 - 12:33 AM.

#15 prawny1

prawny1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:05 AM

miniman checked the position of his dizzy on the dizzy drive and it was o.k. so how could the ignition timing be out so far unless another component is fitted wrong or is not callibrated correcty

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users