#1 dansmi25

dansmi25

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:47 AM

Hey all.
Was wondering if its legal to have only one wiper on the car. I want to take the passenger side one off as it barley works anyway and it will make the car look a bit different. I can't seem to find any information about it so thought I'd see if any of you knew

Thanks
Danny

#2 retroracer1275

retroracer1275

Super Mini Mad

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:51 AM

i had mine off for a couple of months and didnt have any problems :)

#3 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:00 AM

it will make the car look a bit different. I

It'll make it look like it's falling appart. It would be better to fix the wiper rather than remove it.

However, it will fail the MOT if:

"a wiper installed for the use of the driver does not operate over an area of the windscreen large enough to give the driver an adequate view of the road (through the windscreen) to the left and right sides of the vehicle, as well as to the front"

So it might get away with it. But if you just remove the blade and leave the bit sticking out of the scuttle, then I think it will fail on it having the blade mising.

#4 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:26 AM

If the wiper's not working properly, chances are the spring in the wiper arm is knackered and not pressing the wiper onto the screen enough. That and the wheelbox may be worn out. Easy fixes.

#5 ANON

ANON

More Jammy than a Jammy dodger.

• Traders
  • 2,682 posts
  • Local Club: pony

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:53 AM

this has to be a wind up? surely no one is stupid enough to ask this as a serious question?

#6 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

TMFs New official Spamster

• Members
  • 4,393 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield mini club

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:03 PM

i was told you dont need a windscreen to get through the MOT. its an advisory to get one fitted. if you havent got a windscreen you dont need wipers or washers.

just to add, theres a huge difference between getting a car through the MOT and what the police deem legal on the road.

Edited by maggies_minder, 29 August 2011 - 01:04 PM.

#7 dansmi25

dansmi25

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:29 PM

this has to be a wind up? surely no one is stupid enough to ask this as a serious question?

Didn't realise there was people as rude as you on this forum. Its a genuine question. Im not removing it because it doesn't work, I like the look of having only one wiper and was wondering if it was legal or not.

Keep your sly remarks to yourself next time mate.

Thanks to everyone else that has replied with genuine comments.

Danny

:closed:

#8 ANON

ANON

More Jammy than a Jammy dodger.

• Traders
  • 2,682 posts
  • Local Club: pony

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:48 PM

sorry if you thought it was rude, trust me that wasn't me being rude, and it was a bit blatant to be sly.
i questioned the fact that someone would be prepared to drive round in the rain only being able to see out of half the windscreen.

#9 jamiestevenbell

jamiestevenbell

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:50 PM

well i cant see whats wrong with only one wiper aslong as you still have a clear view of the windscreen, its saving weight lol and a mclaren f1 only has one wiper!

#10 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:02 PM

Lots of cars do in-fact have one wiper, but they always wipe the whole screen. If your plan is to move the wiper to the centre and just have one, then this is more sensible. HOWEVER, it won't work on a mini because the shape of the screen will mean that any centre, singel wiper will only wipe the centre of the screen and you'll be left with a massive blind spot.

I only have one wier on my race car (on the drivers side) i it is fine for hillclimbing as it allows sufficient visibility. But for a road car it would be useless bordering on dangerous.

I think it's a non-starter to have one wiper in reality.

#11 minimadtom

minimadtom

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:39 PM

It would be a fail. If the car has been fitted with one wiper it is ok but if it is fitted with two and one is taken off then it would fail... plus it would make it tricky to drive around when you can't see around the car.

#12 Peter1988

Peter1988

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 03:55 PM

If the wiper's not working properly, chances are the spring in the wiper arm is knackered and not pressing the wiper onto the screen enough. That and the wheelbox may be worn out. Easy fixes.

my passenger side wiper seems to have a mind of it's own occasionally will spin 360 would this be a worn wiper box and how do I fix it?

#13 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 17 October 2017 - 03:57 PM

might be worn or the nuts may have just come lose holding the drive wire in place. have a look at them under the scuttle panel.

#14 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:39 AM

Maybe Danny lives somewhere where it never rains ;D ROFL

#15 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:08 PM

my passenger side wiper seems to have a mind of it's own occasionally will spin 360 would this be a worn wiper box and how do I fix it?

Probably - the splines on either the wiper arm or the wheelbox will be worn beyond repair. Replacement is the best option - lever off the wiper arm and inspect both bits. It should be pretty obvious which one is the culprit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users