5 replies to this topic

#1 Brookesy

Brookesy

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:28 PM

Was cleaning my air filter today and noticed on the left side of my carb i have two holes that seemed to be sealed up with tape and rubber, skillfully circled in paint below.
Posted Image

Didnt want to untape them just in case. Is something supposed to be inseted into these or are they there for modifications.

last quick thing. how do i find out what carb i actually have?

Thanks, Mike

#2 minimender

minimender

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.M.

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:35 PM

Its usually piped up to the crankcase breather.
Leave it taped up or the car will draw air in there and run weak

The small one is for vacuum and should be piped to the dizzy unless there are two of them (small ones that is)

Looks like a HIF 38 to me

Edited by minimender, 17 September 2011 - 06:39 PM.

#3 Brookesy

Brookesy

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:44 PM

i have a vacuum pipe to dizzy on the other side :)

HIF 38? Cheers . i have some more pics if it would be easier to recognise it. Looking at rolling roads at the minute and they said its useful to find out what bits are on to speed up the process in terms of them looking and findingf out :)

Need to get the needle out soon aswell and see what one i have/if it needs upgrading :)

#4 James_1

James_1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:44 PM

Hi, that carb is an "economy" type HIF38 from a Metro. From the factory a pipe ran from 1 to 3 to help make the engine run leaner at low speeds. It doesn't work and yes, having it blocked off is the best thing to do. Just for future ref pipe 5 is the breather for the float and must not be blocked or the engine will stop getting fuel and stop. Pipe 2 runs to the crank case breather and the vacuum pipe to the dizzy is just out of the frame, (4)

Posted Image

Edited by James_1, 17 September 2011 - 07:46 PM.

#5 Brookesy

Brookesy

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:51 PM

Thankyou very much James very inciteful! Puts the mind at rest a bit knowing its not to be used :) Will try and get something a bit better to plug it up rather than some tape aswell:)

Does the "economy" mean im getting a bit worse performance to another option i could have? Not got huge amounts of money and not that mechanically minded but will try anything. So if its not worth upgrading financially or means going to a garge to fix then the HIF38 will do :)

Thankyou both again!

Mike

Edited by Brookesy, 17 September 2011 - 07:53 PM.

#6 Brookesy

Brookesy

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:15 PM

Scratch that , read around and found not much difference :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users