16 replies to this topic

#1 [email protected]

[email protected]

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:42 PM

Hello, my name is Harry Moore i am 15 and live in weston super mare, on the 11th of sep 2011 i travelled 233 miles with my dad to pick up my first mini project, , which needs to be completley rebuilt start to finish, click here for original images http://www.pistonhea...les/3127105.htm, i will be posty updates regularly as process commences.... any input would be appreciated

jobs done...
stripped back to bare shell
remove all interior
removes both front wings
got engine running just to check all is okay
started cleaning under arches with mbx tool, back to bare metal
engine and front subframe ready to drop straight out
removed doors and door hinges (hoping to be able to just get new skins)
:) as you can see this is a long term project, and i am hoping to have it on the road by 9/2/2013, and dont worry i wont be de-seaming or transplanting just yet, the standard 850 will stay in place for now, with maybe a few mods like cylinder head etc. trying to keep the car as original as possible so will also be painting the car the original smoked grey (with a white roof) got some 10" minilites to go straight on... if anyone knows anywhere to get cheap 7.5" front brakes please message as would be very helpful (on small budget)
thanks guys :D

Attached Files

#2 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,435 posts
  • Local Club: aint no body got time fo dat

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:21 PM

first things first..

Welcome to TMF!!
nice to see you starting at 15 ( like me, only last year.. :P) looks like you got a very good project! nice mk1, i hope you do it justice:P

on the front brakes you could find someone on here selling some, or get some at a show:P your call

the 850 will be fun to tune and should be ok to insure so good luck!

#3 SomethingNew71

SomethingNew71

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Local Club: Carolinas Classic Minis United

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:30 AM

Looks like an awesome project. Gonna be awesome when you get it done! Trust me from experience you will have your ups and downs on this car. Mk1's tend to beat you up a bit sometimes. Luckily they are the simplest ones when it comes to the parts they use and electronics. (In my opinion) I bet you can find some brakes in the classifieds on here (http://www.theminifo...p?showforum=224)

A couple bits of advice I learned the hard way.

1. Keep EVERY part. Every so often you will be looking for a part and it turns out they dont make it anymore and that blows.
2. Don't try to do everything at once. Take it step by step and dont get ahead of yourself.
3. Have fun. It stops being worth it if you aren't having fun.

If you ever need any help or have a question send me a PM and I will try to help out as best as I can!

#4 [email protected]

[email protected]

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:10 AM

cheers guys :) and
SomethingNew71 i have dozens of boxes to put everything in :)

looking forward to getting back in the workshop now :)

#5 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:51 AM

Welcome to TMF!

Lovely little project there! Awesome car, and it will be wicked to see it finished!
Take care of it, especially once its completed and you have passed your test!!! ;)

Good luck and keep us posted on the progress

#6 [email protected]

[email protected]

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:38 AM

Thanks!
E.L.M.O will doo! more to come soon! :)

#7 ibby4585

ibby4585

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:39 PM

Hi. Great car, I nearly bought that too but I took too long. Got myself a 1967 mk1 today in similar condition its being delivered thursday.

Good luck with it.

Kris

#8 vvcmini

vvcmini

Previously known as vvcmini.co.uk

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:34 PM

looks like a lot of mk1 project starting up, the first of my panels turn up for mine in the morning :-)

#9 pickuptruck1994

pickuptruck1994

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Local Club: Weston Mini Muckers

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:29 PM

looks like its going to be a good project and good to here other people are in weston fixing minis. i am doing an 1989 mini at the mo as it was cheap :P. i will be looking at doing a mrk 1 or a van next i think
good luck
jordan

#10 [email protected]

[email protected]

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:38 PM

NEW UPDATE!!
will be re-spraying almond green with old english white roof! :D i know it's not original but its amazing!!
took out the front subframe and engine on monday, that didn't drop out quite as easily as hoped, removed all exterior parts and rear subframes tuesday, so now just left with a bare shell, getting it sand/shot blasted within the next month ( early crimbo present :D) so project is moving along nicely! hoping that the rear subframe survives the shot blasting as i don't really fancy forking out for a new one! off to the workshop to finish prep for shot-blasting tonight :) it's going to be hard work but worth it in the end !!! cheers! :)

Attached Files

#11 [email protected]

[email protected]

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:43 PM

one more!!

Attached Files

#12 [email protected]

[email protected]

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:49 PM

scrap that, not sure what color im doing it..... smoked grey or almond green? ahhh help?

#13 Jackmorton

Jackmorton

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria mini cruisers

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:36 PM

scrap that, not sure what color im doing it..... smoked grey or almond green? ahhh help?

If its a Mk1 keep it origional... It will be worth alot more in the future. :)

#14 ibby4585

ibby4585

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:36 PM

Smoke grey is lovely mate, but i'm toying with changing my MK1 rebuild from Island Blue to Speedwell Blue. But like has been said original will win the day.

Are you salvaging the front panel? as mine is about the same condition but thought it would have to be replaced.

Kris

#15 [email protected]

[email protected]

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:36 AM

hi Kris, no im not its even worse than it looks in the picture!
UPDATE
after all the kerfufal about paint color and choices of brakes and gear box...... Hears the low down!!
The car will be a standard 850-cc engine with a 12g295 head, i have a 1 1/2" SU to keep things looking fairly original under the bonnet (all original parts will be kept safe incase of resale) On to the Bodywork......... The car will be painted Smoked Grey with an Old English White roof, again almost original colors and can be changed if necessary!, Brakes... after a heavy nights googling and searching, i even posted a question on them i have decided i may just stick with superfins all round as they look more original and performance isn't to bad to be fair..... The interior will be completely original except for a few modifications....... i may replace the front seats with the classic cobra bucket seats (not race seat) like these....http://www.minisport.com/mini-spare-parts/Mini_Cobra_Classic_Seats.html... they look amazing, however my original front seats have just been recovered so i will keep them safe :-), i will change the dash clock for the cooper one, i just think it looks allot better! and i will put covers over the pedals as they are just to small!. Exhaust will probably be a sport-ex 3-2-1 exhaust with a rc40 silencer, which im hoping will sound crisp but im not to sure? and help on that would be appreciated, Other little changes... 10" minilites (look period) bullet mirrors,and maybe some yoko AO32's if i can stretch the wallet that far :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users