145 replies to this topic

#16 m3ntalist

m3ntalist

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 10:43 AM

I think I need to read through this a few times, or print out the whole thing.

If the engine has been taken out and replaced do you need the diagnostic tool to set it up again?

The idle is going nuts at the moment, as it gets warmer it seems to get worse...

It sounds like one of the small pipe connectors is not attached or has been blocked. There are two attache below the inlet manifold. Check atta re tther and pipes are clear. Sometimes if they are pushed on too bar the tube gets blocked.

One runs from the ECU via the vapour trap to the manifold. The other goes to the air filter housing.

Thanks, I will take a look today

#17 vitruvian

vitruvian

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:33 AM

Ok I decided to replace all the red, white, green, yellow capilaries and the fuel trap but I couldn't find in minispares. Can anybody help me with item number or link ????

#18 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:03 PM

http://www.minispare....aspx?pid=38700 Manifold to vacuum thermostat on Filter box

http://www.minispare....aspx?pid=38699 Vacuum thermostat on filter box to vacuum solenoid on filter box intake

http://www.minispare....aspx?pid=38698 Manifold to fuel trap

http://www.minispare....aspx?pid=37158 Fuel trap to ECU

http://www.minispare....aspx?pid=37835 Fuel trap

http://www.minispare....aspx?pid=36449 spare elbow ends in rubber, far better than the original ones

#19 vitruvian

vitruvian

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 04:53 AM

Thank you so much for the help Sprocket. Cheers !!!!

#20 m3ntalist

m3ntalist

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:34 PM

I think it might be the green sensor thing that slots into the bottom of the K&N, this seems loose and should be sealed shouldnt it.

Well its better than it was, but still isnt right, I think I might replace some of the components you have suggested........

...........Stock levels are bit low, d'oh

#21 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:16 PM

another thread...:
http://www.theminifo...showtopic=24256

TTFN,
Dave

#22 vitruvian

vitruvian

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:48 PM

the following are out of stock on mini spares

VAC UNIT FUEL TRAP

VACUUM PIPE- INLET MANIFOLD TO FUEL TRAP FOR SPI

anyone know of alternative suppliers???

Try www.Moss-europe.co.uk

#23 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 30 April 2006 - 10:17 AM

Both coolant and air temp sensors are connected to the ECU. The coolant temp sensor has the most dramatic effect on the fueling where the air temp still effects the fueling but to a lesser degree.

Edited by Mini Sprocket, 24 November 2006 - 12:15 AM.

#24 m3ntalist

m3ntalist

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 04:02 PM

yeah I have the coolant temp sensor to fit, im still not sure if this is the problem though.

#25 Manx Mini....

Manx Mini....

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:01 PM

Hi.

I have a similar problem with a 1996 SPI cooper. Initially purchased as a non runner. It had been running but broke down on a test drive. (We knocked the price down) could not find much wrong but it would only turn over and not fire up. Changed the ECU, nothing. Changed the ECU and engine harness from a running 1992 SPI and it started, but then stopped. Changed the fuel tank and it runs, (faulty fuel pump) but will not go above 2500 rpm. Just changed the fuel filter, reset the stepper motor and the fuel cut off switch and turned the key. It started, ran smoothly and revved past 2500 rpm. Perfect! When we came to start the mini later on it had reverted to the 2500rpm limit. Changed a vac pipe as one was split but to no avail. I have previously changed the coolant temp sensor (it wasn't a new one but it had been ok in the other mini it came from) in the bottom of the inlet manifold and the pre heater element in the manifold (The manifold heater connection had melted, any reason why?) The mini splutters and pops if you try to rev it above 2500rpm.

#26 Manx Mini....

Manx Mini....

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 06:23 AM

Have you fault tested the rest of the ignition system??

I have so far substituted the coil, dizzy cap, rotor arm and leads from the other engine. It has to be a simple problem that we have overlooked as it did run perfectly (albeit very biefly) last night after changing the fuel filter and re-setting the stepper motor.

#27 Black_Pearl

Black_Pearl

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:43 AM

hello, not sure if this topic has been covered around on this thread or any other, did a search and have read quite a few of these help topics and links but to no avail.

I have just bought a 92 spi. at the moment it will not start because it isnt gettin fuel to the injector. i am going to try and start it tomorrow but i am going to try and make sure i have a good head start by checking a few things.

i intend on changing plugs and the fuel filter. check that the pump buzzes on charging when the ignition is on and also see if i can see any problems with vacuums or pipe lines. is there anything else you can suggest for me to look at if i have no luck by doing the above?

any help is appreciated. thanks

#28 Black_Pearl

Black_Pearl

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:54 PM

yeah true. mine is 14! well it turns out i couldnt get it started. i have now began to remove some of the old wiring that is now useless - like the electric windows, old motion detectors and useless poo that some annoying former owner had bodged!! ;D :- :genius: but now it doesnt turn over.

i turn the key and i get alot of of very fast loud clicking from near the starter motor! my oil pressure light also flicks with it too!!!

oh dear! i think the battery is getting low or is shorting out somewhere! >:errr:

i havent changed neither the plugs nor leads though! ^^

#29 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:36 PM

have you checked the fuel cut off switch?

#30 m3ntalist

m3ntalist

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 12:36 PM

My problem is sorted, was whole new throttle stepper/linkage assembly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users